News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

The Minecraft Test

Started by Scotty, February 13, 2013, 04:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

I read this article at work today, and it really got me thinking quite a bit about the future of game consoles:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/02/the-minecraft-test

For those who are impatient, it essentially goes on about how the next generation of game consoles may not support the development and release models that minecraft made famous, and they need to.  Minecraft was a one man operation where there was a quick prototype released out to the community from the developer's own house (so to speak), and many rapid updates to follow.  It's cheap, quick, and in the case of Minecraft, successful.

Our current consoles (even the Wii-U) are entirely incapable of allowing people to release a new "Minecraft".  There's no way a "one-man team" can quickly release a new game on them with rapid updates, in a cost-efficient manner.  We've all seen how the smartphone era has effected indie-development, and how successful it is, why can't game consoles follow in their footsteps?  It worked wonders and made the likes of Apple filthy rich off a small percentage of income it trims off each transaction of an app, why can't Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo get on board?  Will they?

I thought this was an interesting topic some might find worth discussion.  Me personally?  I speculate that if future game consoles fail to conform to this sort of idea, they will fall to the wayside of those that do.  If Sony and Microsoft can't release a console that passes "The Minecraft Test", another console will, and if they can attract the big boys to bring their exclusive titles over to them, they will wipe the floor with Sony and Microsoft.
Indie games have arrived and successfully fed off the current technological age due to many factors.  They're cost efficient for customers, quickly deployed by developers, don't require a full studio of code monkeys or expensive license models, and my personal favorite part, the community and sense of propinquity the customers get with those who develop the game.  I've never been able to get the attention of a single developer from Super Mario Brothers, I don't even know where to start looking, but I can go hit up Notch from Minecraft on Twitter, and if I get lucky, I stand a chance at getting a response.  Something about that is just awesome.

Mr Pwnage

I want to relate this to a kick-starter for a console in development I saw a few months ago...but can't recall the name of it. All I remember is the console was attempting to make it easy as possible for indie developers to make and release games free just for this console. Can anyone remember the name of it?
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

11clock

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on February 13, 2013, 04:47:40 PM
I want to relate this to a kick-starter for a console in development I saw a few months ago...but can't recall the name of it. All I remember is the console was attempting to make it easy as possible for indie developers to make and release games free just for this console. Can anyone remember the name of it?

I think it was Ouya.

Meiun

I think that indie development can be a great thing. But I also think there will always be a large spot for many of the big name developers too (and rightfully so too). A world without Super Mario or Zelda would be a terrible terrible place. The only thing worse than that would be one in which we were all forced to play the next Zelda with nothing but touch based controls *shudder*

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Meiun on February 13, 2013, 11:28:57 PM
I think that indie development can be a great thing. But I also think there will always be a large spot for many of the big name developers too (and rightfully so too). A world without Super Mario or Zelda would be a terrible terrible place. The only thing worse than that would be one in which we were all forced to play the next Zelda with nothing but touch based controls *shudder*

Angry Navis: Star Wars

@11clock, yes that's it!
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php