News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

One step closer to S.O on Android

Started by Freeforall, January 24, 2014, 01:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeforall

Today, I have figured out how to boot image files onto my HTC One, and I am able to run Windows 98 through my phone. My next goal is to get Windows XP running efficiently, and then I will install S.O.

It's very buggy at the moment, but the fact that I can boot up Windows means that it is theoretically possible. I'll update later.

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Freeforall on January 24, 2014, 01:54:11 PM
Today, I have figured out how to boot image files onto my HTC One, and I am able to run Windows 98 through my phone. My next goal is to get Windows XP running efficiently, and then I will install S.O.

It's very buggy at the moment, but the fact that I can boot up Windows means that it is theoretically possible. I'll update later.

Considering that it is a Gamemaker game, and Game Maker now has an export to android option, the game could probably be ported to android in about a day. I've ported several of my old games before and all that is necessary is a bit of re-sizing and controller changing... Even for online games I ran into no networking issues for the conversion process. The only complaint you all might have is usually the conversion results in large app sizes due to the fact GM only uses doubles...

I don't think Meiun has an intent of doing this for SOv2, but I can assure you it wouldn't be that hard to do so. Keep in mind though this is only my knowledge for the conversion to Android devices...iPhone would also be possible, but I'd image it would be significantly more irritating to do.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Freeforall

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on January 24, 2014, 01:57:54 PM

Considering that it is a Gamemaker game, and Game Maker now has an export to android option, the game could probably be ported to android in about a day. I've ported several of my old games before and all that is necessary is a bit of re-sizing and controller changing... Even for online games I ran into no networking issues for the conversion process. The only complaint you all might have is usually the conversion results in large app sizes due to the fact GM only uses doubles...

I don't think Meiun has an intent of doing this for SOv2, but I can assure you it wouldn't be that hard to do so. Keep in mind though this is only my knowledge for the conversion to Android devices...iPhone would also be possible, but I'd image it would be significantly more irritating to do.
I figured Meiun could do that, but I would seriously doubt he would even consider it. There is no way to get S.O working on a Windows 98 machine, is there? I think I remember trying it a while back with no luck.

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Freeforall on January 24, 2014, 02:05:36 PM

I figured Meiun could do that, but I would seriously doubt he would even consider it. There is no way to get S.O working on a Windows 98 machine, is there? I think I remember trying it a while back with no luck.

I don't think Windows 98 supports the color bit you need, but you can maybe download a modded version of windows 98 with 32 color bit....and I am not 100% but you may have direct X issues...I have no idea what version of Direct X Windows 98 uses but it definately not Version 8 or higher and I think you need that for GM games...
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

Meiun

You are correct in the assumption that I really don't have interest in doing this for V2. That being said, while I am aware of the possibility of exporting to Android with GM Studio, I would imagine the networking would in fact be a bit of an issue. V2 uses 39dll for networking which I highly doubt there is any equivalent of for use with Android exports. I know they have some cross platform networking functionality in beta, but from what little I saw it didn't look quite as flexible, and appeared to be missing some of the necessary functionality that V2 would depend on. It would still theoretically be doable I'm sure, but likely would not be quite as simple as you claim.

Either way, I haven't used GM for anything in many years. If there were ever to be a version of Stick Online for Android, it would be with V3. I actually already have the latest development version of V3 running on Android, and in its current state it is fully cross platform compatible with the PC version. Though, I mostly did it for fun and do not yet know what will become of it. I certainly make no promises that there will ever be a real public version available for Android. Don't know that I'd want to bastardize Stick Online with touch based controls and a general lack of proper input hardware for gaming (or for doing anything else). I also figure a bunch of phone users would be pretty horrible for the community in general.

Quote from: Freeforall on January 24, 2014, 02:05:36 PM
There is no way to get S.O working on a Windows 98 machine, is there? I think I remember trying it a while back with no luck.
I think you would likely need at least Windows 2000 or XP in order to stand any chance of getting it to work on your phone setup.

Loganvz123

All of the latest GM versions include direct multi-platform networking, you don't need 39dll anyway.
EDIT: Apparently I need glasses.

Meiun

Quote from: Loganvz123 on January 24, 2014, 09:34:20 PM
All of the latest GM versions include direct multi-platform networking, you don't need 39dll anyway.
Yup, I believe we touched on that. Though, last I checked the GM studio networking was still "experimental".

Mr Pwnage

For clarification my wording was horrible. Porting to android was easy in my experience, but as I have never seen SOv2s code I have no idea how easy it would be in actuality. I wasn't entirely sober when I wrote that so take it with a grain of salt. In actuality I would be shocked if we were able to port the game with little to no issues in "1 day". Please kill me.

Freeforall

I'm still working on this. (I hope that it doesn't bother you Meiun. If it does, I'll stop right away.)

My phone specs should be more than enough to run Windows XP, if I can get it installed.
Quad Core 1.7~GHz Processor
2GB DDR2 RAM
32GB Internal Memory
1080p Display

And, to top it all off, a bluetooth keyboard that will allow me to type on my phone.

Loganvz123

Windows XP is based on x86 architecture...wouldn't your phone use an ARM processor, and therefore not be able to parse the same bytecode as a regular processor?
Please excuse my ignorance if I'm incorrect, but wouldn't the vast differences in the physical hardware of the processor stop a x86 operating system from running on an ARM processor?
Let's also not fail to mention that Stick Online is based on DirectX 8.0, a library which is only supported by desktop GPUs.
The only plausible reason why Windows 98 might be able to be installed is that it has a DOS-based boot stage, similar to the UNIX line on which Android runs.

Freeforall

Quote from: Loganvz123 on January 26, 2014, 06:49:46 PM
Windows XP is based on x86 architecture...wouldn't your phone use an ARM processor, and therefore not be able to parse the same bytecode as a regular processor?
Please excuse my ignorance if I'm incorrect, but wouldn't the vast differences in the physical hardware of the processor stop a x86 operating system from running on an ARM processor?
Let's also not fail to mention that Stick Online is based on DirectX 8.0, a library which is only supported by desktop GPUs.
The only plausible reason why Windows 98 might be able to be installed is that it has a DOS-based boot stage, similar to the UNIX line on which Android runs.
I'm not sure about any of that to be honest, but I'm trying to boot up the Lite edition of XP now, so wish me luck!
EDIT: Windows XP Lite boots up to a BSOD Stop error on Android. I'm going to try out Windows 2000, since Meiun said that might work with S.O.

Loganvz123

You wont be able to install regular windows if your phone has an ARM processor, you can find other ARM ports for operating systems, such as raspbian debian or pidora.

ARTgames

There are x86 emulators, like dosbox or QEMU. So you could run windows on ARM. Its just that its going to take a lot of power and compatibility to make it work well enough to run Stick Online. 

Loganvz123

Even with a x86 emulator, you still don't have a GPU..
The only alternative to DX8 I know of is Swiftshader 2.01.

ARTgames

Well as I said it will take a lot of compatibility that might not even be possible.

Still though phones do have GPUS, they are not as fast as on the desktop but DirectX capability is there. Adreno 225 for example that's used in many smartphones and tables have DirectX. Phones that run Windows Phone use DirectX for their graphics.

I think the main matter here is that this is all a convoluted way to run Stick Online portably. It will be hard to get all this working if at all, and if it does it will take a lot of power. But if Freeforall wants to do it for fun then go for it, I'm interested to see if he can.