News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

StiQuest Campaign #1: Quest 1 - Mountaincrossers! (Quest 2)

Started by LeGuy, October 01, 2009, 09:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeGuy

LeGuy proudly presents...

StiQuest!

This forum RPG will be a turn-based combat-oriented quest through the perilous world of Stick Online, but the next campaigns will be whatever you want it to be. StiQuest is unique in that the players decide where they want the story to go, what alliances to make, and how they want to develop their character.

But, of course, first, I'm going to have to teach you all the basics of gameplay, eh?

So, this particular StiQuest campaign will be your basic, monster-killing PvE (Player Vs. Environment) journey through the rolling plains, desolate wastelands, and deep forests of Stick Online. There will be no alliances, no PvP (Player Vs. Player) shenanigans, and no building forts to protect yourselves from each other. After all, PvP isn't going to be any fun when you guys all start out at level one, no sir. But as you accumulate vast collections of weapons, hats, skills, and tactics I'll be sure to let you guys break out a few (or a lot of) wars as you please.

Once we get to the end, though...well, it's up to the players what happens next.

In any case, that's enough rambling from me. Let's teach you how to play the game, shall we?

NOTE: This isn't exactly a simple game. Please read all of the rules before creating a character.

THE RULES of StiQUEST!

Campaigns

The epic story of StiQuest will be conveniently divided into nifty campaigns, which are basically groups of quests, or particular goals a party must reach. As an example, the first campaign is "World Run", the first quest of which is "Forestblazers". So basically, your first quest in your epic journey across the world is to brave the pre-mountain forest and the dangers that lurk within. Simple enough, right? When you fellows manage to beat a quest, you'll just move right along to the next one - that is, unless something unexpected happens.

For example, say you've managed to beat the horrendous King of Ginger Ale and saved the princess. The Ginger Ale King's castle starts crumbling unexpectedly, so you haven't much time to get out. But a new pathway has opened, leading to untold riches, weapons, and hats, but with yet more monsters blocking the way. Can you make it to the treasure and out of the castle within the time limit, or do you make a break for it to avoid impending death? The choice is yours, the party will just have to vote on it...

But say you choose the riches and glory, smash through the monsters, and gain unimaginable wealth - when suddenly three thousand tons of stone and bricks crash onto your trembling body. Yep, your whole party is dead! In the event of an unsatisfactory happenstance, such as the death of a party member or even the whole party, if enough people vote on it you can perform a Time Rewind. Yep, you'll go whizzing through time and space to the end of your last completed quest. Any dead individuals will be back, but any nice things like level-ups or loot you acquired over the course of the quest will be gone. Bummer.

If someone dies, but everyone else has gotten Inferno Swords and Dark Knight Helms, it's unlikely they'll all vote to rewind time. Sooo, at the next town the dead individual can create a new party member, all hope of ever regaining the last one gone. Depending on how far along you were previously, you'll start out with more or less decent equips and stats. But you'll never make a new character with super items and skills. You get the idea.

The various choices, events, and unexpected plot twists of the campaign and story will be thought up by the campaign's respective moderator. I'm hoping to let others borrow the reigns of StiQuest and be a part of the creation process in future campaigns, (as well as even making a map creator for your convenience) for right now StiQuest is my property. Don't go making StiQuest #2 right after I'm done, I'll let you know if I think you're capable of holding my idea before you do anything.

So that's the basic idea. But let's get done to the fun stuff...

Combat and Quest Advancement

Your first quest will be simple enough - battle groups of monsters, and hence progress through the forest. For your convenience, I'll post the map so you don't get too confused.

This will be the map for StiQuest 1-1: Forestblazers. All you do is wait for me to announce the attack of a group of monsters, use your various abilities to kill them, and if you survive, I'll announce the next event! (Probably another group of monsters. Exhilerating, huh?)

However, for your playing pleasure, I'll throw in a couple of special events in there for you to keep things interesting. You'll just have to wait to see what they are.

You'll notice that the map above is divided into three sections. You'll start out in section number one, where you see that cute little flag. The monsters will be fairly easy in here - more or less a combat tutorial. Once you kill enough groups of monsters, you'll advance to the next zone, which, as you can see, is the forest. The monsters will be harder in here. Kill enough of those groups, and you'll confront...well, you'll see.

More and more skills will be introduced as time goes on, but we'll be keeping it simple for now.

In a battle, you can use your turn in a variety of ways. You can change your hat/weapon/both. You can attack. You can use a special ability. You can rest to regain HP and SP. You can use an item. The list goes on and on.

Here's a sample battle to get you acquainted with the whole process.

Moderator: The quest has begun!

Moderator: Bob, Frank, Chuck Norris, Joe, and Phil move forward!

Moderator:
Oh no! The party has been attacked by a group of monsters!
Evil Cookie Number One (50 HP)
Evil Cookie Number Two(50 HP)
Really, Really Evil Cookie (150 HP)

Moderator: It is the party's turn!

Party members can take their turns in any order.

Frank:
Level 1
1/1/1/1
HP: 100/100
SP: 100/100
XP: 0/200
Inventory: Punch and Kick, No Hat
Equipped: Punch and Kick, No Hat
I use Basic Attack with my Punch weapon on Evil Cookie Number One!
"Lol! I just attacked an evil cookie!"

Always put comments or basically any dialogue into quotes so it won't be confused with your action.

Joe:
Level 58
1/1/30/30
HP: 10/500
SP: 10/500
XP: 0/5000
Inventory: Punch and Kick, Great Sword, Wooden Hammer, No Hat, Pirate Hat, Skellie Mask
Equipped: Great Sword, Pirate Hat
"Egads! My HP and SP are low! It's a good thing I put all my stat points on Vitality and Intelligence.
I use Rest!

Bob:
Level 1
1/1/1/1
Inventory: Punch and Kick, Tree Branch, No Hat, Jester Hat
"I'ma equip my good weapon and hat to make myself stronger!"
I equip Tree Branch and Jester Hat.

Chuck Norris:
Level 1 Billion
1337/1337/1337/1337
HP: Infinity
SP: Infinity
XP: (Level Cap)
Inventory: Punch and Kick, Kicking Boots, No Hat, Cowboy Hat
Equipped: Kicking Boots, Cowboy Hat
"I am going to instantly end this battle to show the readers of this post the effects of a battle conclusion."
I use Roundhouse Kick with my Kicking Boots on all of the monsters.

No, you won't actually be able to do this. Also, it's generally the best idea to not attack monsters who you know will most likely be dead when the results are published, as you'll just be attacking a dead body. Try to attack another monster or do something beneficial, like resting.

Phil:
Level 1
1/1/1/1
HP: 1/100
Inventory: Punch and Kick, No Hat
"I am a little coward so I'm just going to shudder in terror this turn. Also, my health is very low for some reason."
I do nothing!

Yes, you can do nothing if you chose to. By the way, the moderator's about the announce the results of the turn because everyone has used their turn. If one guy is inactive or something and all the other players are tired of waiting for him, then they can just post voting a premature turn end. When a majority of the players vote on this the turn ends automatically.

Moderator:
End of Party's turn!
Results
Frank's Basic Attack inflicts 25 damage on Evil Cookie Number One. EC#1's HP: 25/50
Frank loses 10 SP. Frank's SP: 90/100
Joe regains 75 HP and 50 SP. Joe's HP: 85/500; Joe's SP: 60/500
Bob equips his Tree Branch and Jester Hat.
Chuck Norris's Roundhouse Kick inflicts infinite damage on EC#1. EC#1 dies.
Frank gains 25 XP for helping kill EC#1. Frank's XP: 25/200
Chuck Norris would have gained 25 XP for killing the other half of EC#1, but he's already infinitely powerful.
Chuck Norris's Roundhouse Kick inflicts infinite damage on EC#2. EC#2 dies.
Chuck Norris would have gained 50 XP for killing EC#2 by himself, but he's already infinitely powerful.
Chuck Norris's Roundhouse Kick inflicts 149 damage on Really, Really Evil Cookie. RREC's HP: 1/150
"While the previous move would never happen, I put it there for the purpose of education."
Phil does nothing.

Based on the respective stats of the players and enemies during that battle, the damages would have been lower and higher, and even the chances of the attack hitting the target would have been different. In general, Strength means higher attack power. Attack power is also affected by your weapon. Agility determines the probability of an attack hitting an opponent. If you have 1 AGI and an enemy has 10 AGI, you'll have a lower chance of hitting the monster than if you had 5 AGI. Vitality and Intelligence determine your maximum HP and SP respectively, as well as the rate at which you regain them. There'll be more on stats later.

Moderator: It is the enemy party's turn!

Moderator: Really, Really Evil Cookie attacks Phil with Cookie Power!

Moderator:
End of Enemy Party's turn!
Results
RREC's Cookie Power inflicts 10 damage on Phil. Phil dies.
"Egad! Phil has perished!"

Moderator: It is the party's turn!

Phil:
"Rats, I died."

If you're dead and want to say something, please speak in grey text.

Bob:
Level 1
1/1/1/1
Inventory: Punch and Kick, Tree Branch, No Hat, Jester Hat
Equipped: Tree Branch, Jester Hat
I use Basic Attack with my Tree Branch weapon on Really, Really Evil Cookie!

I'll skip the turns of all the other players, I think you have the idea by now.

Moderator:
End of Party's turn!
Results
Bob's Basic Attack inflicts 35 damage on Really, Really Evil Cookie. RREC dies.
Frank does nothing.
Joe does nothing.
Chuck Norris does nothing.

Moderator: The party wins!

Moderator: Phil is dead! This certaintly is unfortunate. Will you perform a time rewind?

At this point, the party will vote on the subject. A majority vote will determine the decision. In this event, the party decides that Phil was a loser, so Phil will just leave the game. If he chooses to play again, when the party reaches a town, he can create another party member there, and he will join them.

Well, I hope this sample battle helped you a bit on the idea of the game. But now for some more important information.

Stats, Leveling, and Loot

Killing monsters, completing quests, and fulfilling other goals specified by the game's respective Moderator will earn your player XP! Once you get enough XP, your character will level up and receive one stat point. There was an explanation of the various stats written earlier; I recommend that you read them.

In the event of the death of a monster, you might get some loot in the form of hats, weapons, or items. These will go into your inventory, and you'll be able to use or equip them later.

And so this concludes the rules of StiQuest. Bear in mind, though, as the game evolves to support different scenarios, new rules, game functions, progression types, combat systems, movement techniques, items, equips, and skills will arise, so be wary that everything that I just told you will soon be insufficient to play.

StiQipedia!

For your convenience, here is a list of all the current skills, weapons, hats, and items that have shown up in StiQuest. Check this frequently, because as players send me suggestions new tactics will be available. As of right now, not that many things are possible, but I'm counting on you (the players) to send me PM's with suggestions for it. I will also add to this myself as the need arises, or as I feel like it.

Skills
Attack: Inflicts damage on the opponent, nothing more.
Rest: Regains some HP and SP.
Jump: Increases the chance your opponent will miss hitting you. Costs more and more SP for each consecutive jump.
Charge: Inflicts more damage on the opponent, but costs more SP. Can only be used the first turn of a battle.
Knockback: Sometimes happens when you use a hammer. Knocks back an enemy for one turn. This gives the party a turn to do what they want without fear of melee attack. However, if a player uses the turn to attack, their protection is negated.
Weapons
Punch and Kick: You start out with this. Kick does more damage than punch, but it costs more SP. ~PnK
Tree Branch: A basic tree branch. Slightly better than Punch and Kick. ~TB
Wooden Hammer: A giant hammer. Does good damage and has a chance of inflicting the Knockback skill. ~WH
Short Sword: A small blade, not of large size. One notch above the tree branch in both damage and SP.
Hats
No Hat: You start out with this. It does absolutely nothing. ~NH
Fireman Hat: Max HP increased by 20. ~FH
Feather Cap: Increases probability of success with the Jump skill. ~FC
Jester Hat: Increases AGI by 2 and STR by 2. ~JH
Ninja Mask: Increases AGI by 4. ~NM
Viking Helm: Increases STR by 3. ~VH
Knight Helm: Increases VIT by 3. ~KH
Misc.
Summon Orb: Can summon one player to the main party group.

And more to come.

Players List
1. Mystery - 4
2. Clocky - 4
3. Ehpick - 4
4. Croz - 4
5. Sword
6. Ceroblitz - 4
7. Pat - 4
8. Trogdor - 4
9. Jackabomb - 2
10. Lucifer

Campaign Status

Current Quest: 2 - Mountaincrossers!

All Parties: Zone 1 (On the Mountain)

Events:
The parties split up and encounter monsters!

Previous Quests:

1 - Forestblazers!

Events:
Start of Quest 1!
Our heroes encounter a river with a conveniently placed bridge providing passage across.
Party 2 chooses to cross the bridge. They travel successfully.
Party 1 follows suit and crosses the bridge.
After a battle or two, Pat and Trogdor start their own party, Party 3.
Parties 1 and 2 brawl through some monsters and see a strange form approaching from the distance.
Party 3 catches up.
The Quest Boss Battle begins! Oh noes!
Our heroes win the epic battle! Yays!
Our heroes decide to go to the end of the world.
The party finds Chaos's Pants!
Meiun is stuffed into a bag fashioned of Chaos's pants.
Our brilliant protagonists choose the cross the mountain that looms ahead.
Our heroes choose to cross the mountain in WAR!
End of Quest 1!
Whee!

11clock

Looks like this will be fun. I'm joining when the game is ready.

Mystery

AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

11clock

Seems like you're almost ready. I'm joining as Clocky.

EpicPhailure

crozier

Forum

I wanna join, i'll be Sword, also i just skimmed through everything i'll read more later.
Officially quitted

Ceroblitz

Pat

Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.

JoEL

Pat

Ha. Also the time rewind should be an unanimous vote.
Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.

EpicPhailure

There needs to be a limit. If we have like, 15 players, then turns will take too long.

LeGuy

Yeah, I think I'm going to stop at 8 for this first campaign. In addition, I'm going to divide the 8 people into two four person parties. If four more people want to join, I can fit them in at the end of this quest.
Whee!

Mystery

I say we stop now. 7 is more than enough in my opinion.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Trogdor

This looks pretty interesting. I'll join as Trogdor.  ;)
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you light a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.