News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

S.O. Ripoff

Started by stick d00d, January 28, 2010, 10:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stick d00d

Hey I wasn't sure where to post this, seems someone is trying to recreate their own S.O... here is the topic:
http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=462196&pid=3414691&st=0&#entry3414691

11clock

Meiun

I sent him a PM about it. Wasn't even rude, just made sure he realised that remaking a game owned by someone else (especially when it is legally copyright) is not technically legal, and that the original isn't dead like he seemed to think.

Scotty

Ha, I make over 3x that amount in one day at my job...  And that's at LEAST 2 months of effort, for even an experienced developer.

Lucifer

Quote from: NanoBeta
This will be among one of the first project I'll be directing using Game Maker - A simple Multiplayer Online game, Stick-Worlds Online
Quote from: 11clockIt's gonna fail.

stick d00d

The worst thing is he was actually going to PAY someone to help him rip-off a game, without even attempting to see if the game was even in fact gone. Also it's funny because normally when people try to rip-off this game they actually won't ADMIT they are doing so.

sly 3 4 me

Nice find. I can't believe someone would openly admit to ripping off a game and then explain in detail on how it would be made. If he already says it's going to be ripped off then there's no point in attempting to explain it differently. Simply adding the word worlds doesn't change anything if you say you want to create one game as closely as you can. He also italicizes the title every time it is mentioned as if trying to call it something else other than it would be.  :P

Meiun

If anyone else wants to message him letting him know the wrongfulness and or that you don't appreciate him trying to rip off Stick Online (not to mention that any direct copying is illegal since it IS copyright) then please go right ahead. Just please be at least relatively mature if you do decide to do so. I figure the more hate mail he gets of people upset with him (especially before he even starts) the less likely he would be to even start.

Lucifer

Woah...calm down people. There is absolutely no harm in liking a game and wanting to make game that's like it. Obviously he had a poor choice of words, "recreate", but theres nothing wrong or illegal about making another Stick Online type game. Meiun doesn't have the sole right of making Stick Figure MMOs. All of your "ripoff" statements are highly unnecessary, as the author of that post clearly had no idea Stick Online was still alive. Heck nowhere did he even hint that he was planning on taking sprites or ideas from Stick Online.

Meiun

I actually told him just that in my message to him Lucifer. He can make a Stick figure based online game if he wants. What bothers me most is that he specifically is stating that he wants to remake MY game.

ARTgames

I think this is more of a compliment when you think about it. I doubt this will ever get any ware.

But its still a good thing to point out to not make a game that's too close. Theres harm in that. But i feel meiun got a handling there.

Scotty

Quote from: Meiun on January 28, 2010, 11:20:30 PM
Just please be at least relatively mature if you do decide to do so.

That's like asking Ghandi to bitch-slap a Mexican midget prostitute, but be careful not to hurt her feelings in doing so.

And Lucifer, it's ethically jacked.  Kinda like you taking my sense of humor and trying to improve upon it.  I'm offended upon you thinking you could take what I've mastered and try to steal it, and make it better (yet fail horrifically)!

EDIT:
Quote from: ARTgames on January 28, 2010, 11:27:20 PM
I think this is more of a compliment when you think about it. I doubt this will ever get any ware.
Told Meiun that earlier, at the very least, he's doing a good job of providing an influence.

venuse

this is funny. is it really that dang hard to think up something original? hell even i was able to think up something something mildly original just messing with nes color pallet, and studying 8 bit games for a few hrs.

Snakeman

QuoteWith the current project, we aim to recreate the ever-so-popular Stick Online game I've heard about that slipped away so many years ago,

This kid needs to do some Googling.

Scotty

Quote from: Snakeman on January 29, 2010, 04:27:54 PM
QuoteWith the current project, we aim to recreate the ever-so-popular Stick Online game I've heard about that slipped away so many years ago,

This kid needs to do some Googling.

But stick online is the only successful amateur MMO I thought...
Apparently he is desperate for attention when he wants to advertise a free MMO for kids of all ages to play.  I think we should all PM him and not say so much about how he's ripping off another game, just ask him over and over again whether or not he knows what he's getting himself into and who he'll end up attracting as a player base.