News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Portal: Prelude

Started by DarkBlade325, May 30, 2010, 01:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkBlade325

Well damn- havn't had the time to get around making this topic but finally I can. I wanted to show you guys a little mod I stumbled upon sometime in the middle of 09'. A mod of Portal to be precise. So while we're waiting for good ol' Portal 2, take the time to take a gander at this mod.

It tells a story of how Aperture Science was before GLaDOS was plugged into the system, with people monitoring you in the chambers, people inside the facility, ect. To sum up gameplay: Basically Portal on drugs with a slight pinch of dick moves and I Wanna Be the Guy-like twists.

Unfortunately, I believe the maker was French along with those working along beside him, so he didn't have any English voice actors for the characters in the game, so he had to use computerized voices similar to that of Microsoft Sam, but don't worry, it doesn't sound nearly as bad as that, and it gets the job done. Bit of a spoiler but you do meet GLaDOS at the end and the voice for her is nearly exactly the same as her voice files made by Ellen McLain in the original portal, I could hardly tell the difference, and this was just computerized voices! So the voices shouldn't bother you that much.

As said before, the game's puzzles are incredibly harder than the original Portal and a certain douchebag who monitors you likes to be an arse in some of the stages. So if you're not into that, I suggest you just suck it up and play the damn game.

Now you can't expect too much from a fan made mod...But you sure as hell better not expect too little! Oh, and one more thing: The free version of Portal cannot be used to play this mod! You must have a purchased version of Portal to play.

http://www.portalprelude.com/about.php

DivineLegend

i got the free version QQ but anyways, there is a portal flash vesion map pack that you can get and play on the free version. its free as well, and i think more challenging.

ARTgames

Quote from: DarkBlade325 on May 30, 2010, 01:56:50 AM
Now you can't expect too much from a fan made mod...But you sure as hell better not expect too little! Oh, and one more thing: The free version of Portal cannot be used to play this mod! You must have a purchased version of Portal to play.

Wrong! You don't have to pay for Portal. You can use the free Portal but you must own at least one Source game (like HL2 or CSS etc). You may also need to have Source SDK downloaded. That's how i play. I'm using free Portal with payed HL2. (It was on sale for $7)

DarkBlade325

Quote from: ARTgames on May 30, 2010, 04:47:34 PM
Quote from: DarkBlade325 on May 30, 2010, 01:56:50 AM

Wrong! You don't have to pay for Portal. You can use the free Portal but you must own at least one Source game (like HL2 or CSS etc). You may also need to have Source SDK downloaded. That's how i play. I'm using free Portal with payed HL2. (It was on sale for $7)

Indeed, ART is right. As long as you have a Source game, it should work. Sorry it just looked so much like Portal, I assumed you needed the game.

Mr Pwnage

I just beat it today after downloading it yesterday. I did it without any walkthrough help. Sweet game. On level 18 I thought I was a clever little !@#$er by skipping the whole level by shooting a portal so I could bypass getting the cube...I guess I was wrong. The boss fight was sweet too. Definitely play this if you've beaten portal...it's awesome. Good find Dark.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

DarkBlade325

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on May 31, 2010, 12:08:06 PM
I just beat it today after downloading it yesterday. I did it without any walkthrough help. Sweet game. On level 18 I thought I was a clever little !@#$er by skipping the whole level by shooting a portal so I could bypass getting the cube...I guess I was wrong. The boss fight was sweet too. Definitely play this if you've beaten portal...it's awesome. Good find Dark.

Indeed, the same guys who made the mod are also working on a L4D campaign called I Hate Mountains, check it out- should be released very VERY soon.

http://www.ihatemountains.com/

Pat

The reason you can't play mods with games you got for free is because they don't include source SDK, when you buy a source game you also buy source SDK, therefore when you got Portal for free it didn't include SDK but if you buy Portal you get SDK with it.
Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.

ARTgames

Quote from: Pat on June 01, 2010, 04:29:19 AM
The reason you can't play mods with games you got for free is because they don't include source SDK, when you buy a source game you also buy source SDK, therefore when you got Portal for free it didn't include SDK but if you buy Portal you get SDK with it.
yeah. that's what i basically said.

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: DarkBlade325 on June 01, 2010, 02:45:46 AM

Indeed, the same guys who made the mod are also working on a L4D campaign called I Hate Mountains, check it out- should be released very VERY soon.

@_@ These guys really do enjoy uptaking large mod projects instead of the usual latter eh? Sweet I'll be looking forward to this.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

DarkBlade325

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on June 01, 2010, 02:43:28 PM

@_@ These guys really do enjoy uptaking large mod projects instead of the usual latter eh? Sweet I'll be looking forward to this.

Yeah best of all, I think it's coming out today, June 4th. Blog post reads:

"I can?t believe we?re already the 4th of June 2010.
Guess what happens today?
At some point of the day?
Later this evening?
Around 8pm GMT?"

Getting ready to play it.

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: DarkBlade325 on June 04, 2010, 06:28:37 AM
Quote from: Mr Pwnage on June 01, 2010, 02:43:28 PM

Yeah best of all, I think it's coming out today, June 4th. Blog post reads:

"I can?t believe we?re already the 4th of June 2010.
Guess what happens today?
At some point of the day?
Later this evening?
Around 8pm GMT?"

Getting ready to play it.

Downloading!