News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Looking for Free MMORPGs to Play

Started by 11clock, May 31, 2010, 11:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Lucifer on May 31, 2010, 09:34:36 PM
Quote from: 11clock on May 31, 2010, 08:14:02 PM
Logged into Mabinogi, then got the blue screen. Attempting another try...

EDIT: Again I get the blue screen. Won't be trying again. Looks like my computer's graphics card doesn't support high-quality 3D graphics. :( Any good MMORPGs with either 2D graphics or poor 3d graphics?

EDIT2: What kind of game is that, Seifer?
I'm sure Ashen Empires would work on your computer, the system requirements are very low. It's very fun, if I had to relate it to another game to paint a picture for you, I'd say Runescape. You go around leveling up skill, weapon, and magic proficiencies and doing various quests. Don't get me wrong, much better than runescape in every possible aspect.

You know, Runescape would actually be a very promising MMO if they stopped making it so damn child like. It was a good game like 6 years ago and than evolved into a game inteded for 8 year olds. Such a shame.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

11clock

Downloaded Ashen Empires. Which is the preferable server, Legends or Heroes?

Lucifer

You'd have to wait for seifer to answer that, I don't play regularly. Holy jesus, though. I was bored, so I downloaded Mabinogi for kicks and giggles.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t287/LucifersUncle/mabinogi_2010_06_01_005.jpg
I think I'm going to like this game, do you see my guy's expression? He's like, DAYUM! I wana rub my face in those!

EpicPhailure

Quote from: Lucifer on May 31, 2010, 10:33:05 PM
You'd have to wait for seifer to answer that, I don't play regularly. Holy jesus, though. I was bored, so I downloaded Mabinogi for kicks and giggles.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t287/LucifersUncle/mabinogi_2010_06_01_005.jpg
I think I'm going to like this game, do you see my guy's expression? He's like, DAYUM! I wana rub my face in those!

I would too.

Seifer

Play Legends. I'm "Hot Soup" or "Frank The Wicked", Pm me on their by typing /t Hot Soup: Blah blah blah. I'll write more about AE in a bit.

EDIT:

Well Luci is sort of right. Infact, I'm impressed that Luci knows the game. Anyhow, the game is really cool in that aren't forced into a specific class. Much like SO, ever level you get stat points, and you allocate them as you wish. Unfortunatly, you can't go as free form as you would like. Every peice of gear requires certain stats. Many require 100 of a certain stat. So while their are no "classes", it is wise to add towards a certain build to wear the best gear. But again, people do make all sorts of funky gear that works great. At max level, if you were to max two of the 4 base stats, you could have the stats of 100, 100, 30, 5. This allows you to wear any sets that are 100's in those stats, and the gear for that specific build. But many people do all sorts of different combo's. All I'm saying is it's very freeform.

Also, every weapon has a skill tied to it. Or rather, every weapon type. Blunt, Polearm, Small blades, Large blades, bows, xbows, etc etc etc. You can max these to use better weapons, and their is no limit to how many you know/max. The same can be said for tradeskills. Their is a plethora of tradeskills. You can make tons of things, and again, no max to how many of these you have.

Thats one thing I really like about AE. It's limitless.

One thing you will no doubt notice though, is that the game will feel rather barren, and very confusing to start. We don't have a mass influx of new players. Thats not to say we dont get new ones every day, but 2-3 new guys that start around the same time as you in a world this big wont be very noticeable. Thankfully, we have chat channels, and their is one we always join, so you can easily converse with others and get help. Also, theirs a town that most everyone hangs out in if their doing nothing, so it's not too bad.

The high levels is where all the action is at. The Endgame. Once you get their, you can join in in all sorts of big hunts, boss hunts etc etc.

Theirs a token store, a "cash shop". But it's not stupid like most games. You can't purchase any gear in it, nor big perks that make your character better than others or anything of the sort. Just.. simple stuff. Teleport stones, so you can get around a bit easier, resets, to say, re-stat your character, race changes, expansions. Unfortunatly, the expansions are somewhat of a neccessity. They really help. Also, though the game is "free", you can get VIP status. This gives you access to a stone that lets you tele to the main hub once an hour, aswell as auto-loot outside of parties and a few other non-consequential perks. Fortunatly, the tokens, which are used to buy this stuff, are traded in the game as a side along form of currency, so if you work hard, you can easily buy up tokens for expansions or what have you.

Theirs parties, Guilds, Guild houses, player houses, sailing, etc etc.

One thing I love is that this game isn't WoW or something. In those games, it felt like I didn't even get to know my fellow guildies. This game is like SO in the sense that the community is smaller, tighter. You get to know the people you play with. You will always see familiar faces, and it feels more social, rather than how WoW or GW often feel like single player games.

Here's a couple screenies.
First one is just me raping some dragons while I type up this message.
Second one is from awhile back, when we used to have to DPS war over some of the bosses. Looks pretty sick though, with all the people waiting to fight over it. Too bad I never got screenies of when we were doing it, but I was always too busy winning/tanking.

11clock

Thanks for the info Seifer!

I think I decided on my build. I'll be a mage. Most of my stats will go into intelligence, and my strength will always be around half my intelligence. Every time a level 5 levels I'll add 1 stat to both Dexterity and Constitution. Sound good?

EpicPhailure

That HUD rapes my eyes. It looks pretty cluttered. Is that windowed or full-screen?

I'll check it out if I get really bored one day though.

Delicious

There needs to be more successful indie MMORPG's...  :(
<3

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: EpicPhailure on June 01, 2010, 09:31:20 PM
That HUD rapes my eyes. It looks pretty cluttered. Is that windowed or full-screen?

I'll check it out if I get really bored one day though.

My thoughts exactly. I can only hope he opened all of those windows and that's why it is so cluttered. Otherwise that's just !@#$ed and the creators of this game need to learn about "menus".
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Seifer

Oh, it's fully customizeable. Thats windowed by the way. I can move every single window around, or open and close them. Thats just how I choose to have it. As it's a isometric game and not 3d, higher resolutions don't allow you to see more of the screen. That would give people an edge in pvp. The actual game screen is 800 x600. I'm on a much higher resolution, thus all the black space. I filled up the black space with my inventory, my equipment screen, chats, maps, hotbars, etc etc. Whatever I want to.

EpicPhailure

I suppose that's okay then. I'm going to try it out right now.

Seifer

Rock on. Be warned, valinor is slow and sucks. The starting island. Just sayin. Also, change your keyboard mapping and interface if you wanna. the default is lameee.

11clock

Just like to say I'm progressing. Level 9, but still on Valinor. Trying to form a party to help me kill the skeleton boss. Once I succeed in killing both Valinor bosses and completing all mage training I'll leave Valinor.

ARTgames

@11clock
May i ask your name etc for that game?

11clock