News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Started by 11clock, June 07, 2010, 05:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11clock

Seriously the largest RPG out there. I just started playing it and it's awesome! :D

Torch

Largest in terms of amount of land, yes. Fallout 3 has more stuff though.

Lucifer

Hah. Largest? Heck even Morrowind is bigger than oshitblivion, and is packed with way more awesome quests and choices. I keep trying to get back into oblivion, I used to play it all the time at my friend's house, and on my PS3 (before it shit itself), but I just can't. It just gets boring, way too fast. All of the caves, forts, dungeons, look the same. I've tried modding it with different mods like MMM, OOO, etc, but none of them can wipe clean the copypasta that oblivion is.

I'd still recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it, of course, but if you want a classic, morrowind > oblivion. That is, if you aren't spoiled by nowaday graphics, and can't help but cry when you play old games. That being said, there's tons of high resolution texture mods out nowadays.

Lingus

My understanding is that there is potentially hundreds of hours worth of quests (including all of the side quests and what not) but that the whole game including the art design is very bland and generic. Voices and character faces are very samey and animations are not very natural. It's a shame because the technology behind the graphics is supposed to be brilliant, but the graphics look worse than say HL2 because the art design is worse. Just goes to show that technically higher end graphics doesn't really mean everything in a game.

Cactuscat222

Psh, does everyone forget Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall? That is the largest in terms of land. :P (Fun game too!)

But speaking of Oblivion, I tried it and rather enjoyed it, but never got too far. I suppose I'll have to some time.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

Trogdor

Oblivion is quite possibly one of my all-time favorite games. I'm in the same boat as Lucifer in that I used to play it at a friend's house until I later got it for my PS3 (mine still works though!).

To be honest with you, the caves/forts/oblivion gates/etc. are diverse enough for me layout-wise to keep me interested. I enjoy going down different passages and exploring every inch of a new dungeon than wondering why this particular dungeon looks so familiar compared to the last twelve or so I've been in. Additionally, everything scales with your level, so a dungeon you've done previously at level 5 would be filled with new and more powerful tenants and a plethora of better loot at level 17. Since your map is already filled out, you know exactly where to go as well! However I'll be the first to admit a slight change in scenery would be nice after running through five consecutive forts, but since the rest of the world is so fleshed out I can't blame the developers for cutting some corners.

I'll stop here before it turns into a full-fledged game review large enough to put some of DarkBlade's reviews to shame, but if you thoroughly enjoy Oblivion I'd recommend getting the largest official expansion pack The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles. Not only does it almost double the overworld's size with the addition of the Shivering Isles, but it adds a myriad of new armour, weapons, clothing, ingredients, quests, enemies, and new dungeon elements that give this game a whole new feel while still retaining the basic mechanics of Oblivion.
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you light a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Scotty

This game will go down in my books as one of the most... Crippling games I've ever played.  I got it back in '06 when it first came out, when I was in Iraq.  I also spent a couple thousand to get a laptop that would actually play the game (over-priced alienware), and then proceeded to dedicate whatever little time I had to myself, to this game.  I remember picking up III back when it came out, and loved it, so this was only furthering my obsession for The Elder Scrolls series.  I was driven mad when my laptop took 2-3 months to get to me, and all I could do in that time was look at the box and obsess.  I lost all sleep to the game.  What's a shame is that I never finished it, or picked up the expansion, and if I go back and try to play it now, it's a meh to me, and I quickly get bored and run off elsewhere to chase shiny objects.

11clock

Quote from: Lucifer on June 07, 2010, 06:57:52 PM
Hah. Largest? Heck even Morrowind is bigger than oshitblivion, and is packed with way more awesome quests and choices. I keep trying to get back into oblivion, I used to play it all the time at my friend's house, and on my PS3 (before it shit itself), but I just can't. It just gets boring, way too fast. All of the caves, forts, dungeons, look the same. I've tried modding it with different mods like MMM, OOO, etc, but none of them can wipe clean the copypasta that oblivion is.

I'd still recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it, of course, but if you want a classic, morrowind > oblivion. That is, if you aren't spoiled by nowaday graphics, and can't help but cry when you play old games. That being said, there's tons of high resolution texture mods out nowadays.

Tried Morrowind, hated it. The combat system was complete and total crap, and turned me away from the game. Oblivion however has a much better combat system, for I can actually hit the enemies.

Scotty

Matty_Richo

I pre-ordered oblivion and got it on release date and still play it occasionally to this day (>1500 hours, I have no life). I especially got into the role playing side of things.