News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

E3

Started by ARTgames, June 14, 2010, 04:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARTgames

Talk about it now!

I hope they make the new Xbox work.

Jake

Kinect looks interesting. Seems slightly more fun than waggling, but gimmicky nontheless.

DarkBlade325

Yeah im watching the Ubisoft press.

Brotherhood = Shit me pants.

Everything else so far = Ubisoft fail. Seriously? Laser tag and... therapy? What?

ARTgames

It looks like every game will be 3D.

Lingus

So far from what I've seen, Witcher 2 looks good, Hunted: The Demon's Forge looks really interesting... that's pretty much it for now. I haven't had too much time to look at much else.

Btw, this: e3.g4tv.com is probably the best place to go to see coverage.

Edit:
This is interesting:
http://e3.g4tv.com/videos/46502/E3-2010-Legend-of-Zelda-Skyward-Sword-Gameplay-Demo/
Looks like they're finally getting the Wiimote down. The combat looks like a cross between minor use of gesture-like controls as well as a large amount of one to one motion. So you're swinging the sword around as you move the Wiimote. They've also made use of directional attacks in that you have to swing vertically or horizontally to make the attack effective. Seems like it would make for very challenging and fun combat.

ARTgames

Gabe came on stage and said portal 2 is now for ps3 and will be the best on the ps3 as for consoles. They also showed a prerendered trailor.

LeGuy

Portal 2 on consoles FTW. I was concerned at first that the sequel to quite possibly the best puzzle game ever would only be for PC.
Whee!

ARTgames

Meiun

New Goldeneye, cool :P. But the new Zelda is what I'm really excited for, it looks super epic. After playing the Wii Sports Resort swordplay game I was already thinking how awesome it would be if they incorporated those mechanics into a full scale game, and what better one to do it with than Zelda! Also, the 3DS sounds pretty cool too.

As for the "Kinect" or Natal or w/e it's called, it looks cool, but I think it is a terrible idea that they are making it for the 360 instead of just making it built-in for it's successor. Releasing something of that magnitude after the systems release as an optional add-on is always a horrible way to get any 3rd party game companies to develop games that support it. What game company wants to make a game that only a portion of Xbox owners have the hardware for? So the few that do decide to back the device will then just make lame "optional" control schemes (lame), or just do a half-ass implementation. The only time anything like this has really seen great success is with the Wii's Motion-Plus upgrade (and even with that, I was a bit surprised by how good it did). The reason for it's success was due to a number of things... First off, it is very cheap (definitely cheaper than Kinect could ever be). Second, because of it's small size and low cost, developers can easily make an optional copy of their game that come with the device bundled in alongside the game disc. Lastly, the first game that used it (that it came bundled with for free) was the successor to the largely popular Wii Sports game that every single Wii owner already owns (seeing as it has been bundled with every single Wii console since the launch of the system). So... Unless Microsoft can top all that, I feel like the Kinect may turn out to be somewhat of a fail (at least compared to what it could have been).

Torch

Quote from: ARTgames on June 16, 2010, 07:27:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/v/USLk24uRuFE&hl=en_US&fs=1&
I want that game.
"What would you say if I told you that after 13 years, a new Goldeneye game was coming out?" "OMG, YES"
"What if I told you said game was a Wii exclusive and boasts motion control and graphics on par with other Wii FPS titles?" "!@#$ that, I'll go play a better FPS on a better console."

Also, did anyone else see the presentation of the new xbox and think "how is that any different from the current xbox?" because I did. It is literally a 360 with a different color scheme and more memory.

New zelda looks pretty cool though.

Meiun

FPS for consoles generally suck anyways. I'm pretty sure most people (who can afford a decent comptuer at least) would agree that PC's are far superior for first person shooters. The Wii actually offers a way better and even cooler potential when it comes to FPS controls. A lot of companies have done a shitty job with doing their controls properly in past Wii games, but go try out Metroid Prime 3 for the wii and you will quickly see that it has some of the best FPS controls of any game around. Even most of the reviews on that game would agree on that statement. Besides, while it certainly is cool to have good graphics, it should never be the most important thing about any game (something a lot of people seem to forget). If all people care about is good graphics, then they can just go watch a 3D movie; Or better yet, go explore the real world! Best graphics and controls around.

Torch

Quote from: Meiun on June 16, 2010, 09:48:52 PM
Ha... FPS for consoles generally suck anyways. I'm pretty sure most people (who can afford a decent comptuer at least) would agree that PC's are far superior for first person shooters. The Wii actually offers a way better and even cooler potential when it comes to FPS controls. A lot of companies have done a shitty job with doing their controls properly in past Wii games, but go try out Metroid Prime 3 for the wii and you will quickly see that it has some of the best FPS controls of any game around. Even most of the reviews on that game would agree on that statement. Besides, while it certainly is cool to have good graphics, it should never be the most important thing about any game (something a lot of people seem to forget). If all people care about is good graphics, then they can just go watch a 3D movie; Or better yet, go explore the real world! Best graphics and controls around.
I won't debate PC vs console, but it isn't as clearcut as PC FPS' > console FPS'. There a ton of advantages console has over PC and vice versa.

Anyway, Metroid Prime 3 was a FANTASTIC game. So was every other classic Nintendo game, brought to Wii. If Nintendo decided to release Pikmin 3 on Wii, or something like that, I have no doubt it would be a very good game.

The track record for 3rd-party FPS' on Wii, however, is about as bad as it gets.

The first problem is the online. 3rd-party companies have to host their own servers, and as a rule 3rd-party companies with Wii exclusives have god-aweful servers. Additionally, the friend-code system is an absolute pain to deal with for friend lists, leaderboards, etc. To get around this, many games make you register an account specifically for that game, but that isn't much better. Also, there is no mic support or a reasonable message-sending function.

The second problem is the graphics. You could argue that a good game doesn't need good graphics. I personally can't stand playing an FPS with bad graphics. It detracts from immersion and makes the whole game seem choppy. One of the reasons Metroid was so good was that it used cell-shading and had a cartoon style going on. From the trailer, it seems that the new Goldeneye is doing what every other FPS on the Wii has by just going as far as they can with realistic graphics.

The final problem is with responsiveness. Metroid got around this with a lock-on system. It is near-impossible to have pinpoint accuracy with a Wii remote and pinpoint accuracy is entirely necessary in an FPS. Motion-Plus helps, but it is by no means even close to what is required to make a legitimate FPS for the Wii.

Meiun

Actually, Wii does have pretty pinpoint accuracy as long as your not too far away. I also think a bit of increased difficulty adds some fun and realism (as long as everyone is required to do it the same way). The lock on with Metroid was really not totally necessary, it just is part of the games design. As for pretty much all your other arguments against the Wii and online and all that, pretty much all of them really just comes down to the developer. There have been third party developers to use Nintendo WFC for their network along with friend codes, and there have been developers that use neither. Nintendo also does have microphone support, as well as an official Nintendo microphone for online play (just not many games use it yet). Most other shitiness in 3rd party games just comes down to developers loving to take advantage of the casual gamer crowd, which they do by making sloppy low budget games that use the Wii's great potential and unique features as gimmicks instead of putting legitimate effort into doing things well. Basically, in my opinion the Wii really does have a lot of great potential, that unfortunately is often not fully utilized due to a lot of lazy developers trying to make a quick buck. But being an optimist, I'd like to assume that this wouldn't be the case for as big of a game as the Goldeneye remake. But yeah, you do have a point that a lot of companies don't have a good track record.

As for PC's vs. Consoles for FPS, I won't say that there aren't a bunch of good FPS's for consoles, but I still honestly can't think of any advantage a console has over PC for them aside from reaching a different crowd/audience for them.

JoEL

Quote from: ARTgames on June 16, 2010, 07:27:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/v/USLk24uRuFE&hl=en_US&fs=1&
I want that game.

Why do the graphics look so horrible?
Also !@#$ you Nintendo, only the wii? wtf?

Lucifer

Oh man.. you have no idea how many times I've beaten 007 Goldeneye... Goddamn... I love that game q_q.