News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Facebook...

Started by 11clock, June 15, 2010, 04:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARTgames

Your right Seifer but there are people who are addicted to farmville. People get really obligated when there other people they know playing it and they have to give them a cow or something to be nice to eatch other and it just gets into a loop.

Seifer

Want to know what farmville is? A game for people who have never played games before. People who are non-gamers, but of course, everyones really a gamer. They just have always scoffed at it. So when presented with a game, they get hooked like any of us, except the game their hooked on is such a simple and pathetic one.

Lingus

Quote from: Chaos on June 15, 2010, 10:32:25 PMNow wait a minute.  Is this a topic ranting about people being addicted to facebook, or people using it in general?  Pick your story and stick with it.  Being addicted to facebook and using facebook are two completely different things, and someone using it and suggesting that you use it is not the same thing as being addicted to it either.  It sounds more like YOU missed the point...
The people I'm talking about ARE "addicted" to it in the sense that they are constantly on it. I only get the "come on you have to join" from those kinds of people. People who use it in moderation don't give me that... So yes, I am on topic.

Quote from: Cactuscat222 on June 15, 2010, 10:19:38 PM
I don't really understand where your resistance comes from... it sorta sounds like you just don't want to join it because everyone else is using it.

Obviously you don't have to join, but its ridiculous to hate on Facebook because others find it as a perfect tool for communicating. It makes it so much easier, and that is why people would want you to join along... though I can understand getting annoyed from people bugging you about it. Fair enough. Just I don't see why you should be that bugged, heh.
Well, it's something that I don't really want to use but is becoming more and more a "necessity" to keep in communication with certain people or groups. I find it to be yet another thing to have to keep up with. I already have an email system that I like using. I don't want to have to sign up for something else that does much the same thing (yes, I understand there are a lot more features involved in Facebook than there are with email, but it accomplishes much the same thing: communication.) The fact that there are a good number of people that have decided to use Facebook as their main means of communication just makes it frustrating for me because I personally do not want to use it.

I also really don't like the lack of security on Facebook and feel at this point that if I were to sign up for it I would be hesitant to even post anything. I don't want everyone on the internet being able to read my personal correspondence. That's why I have email. Because it's private. I decide who gets to read it, even down to the detail of deciding if those people who I have sent the email to can see who else I sent it to (ie BCC). You don't really get that with Facebook as far as I know, or if you do I understand that the privacy settings are very difficult to figure out.

In any case, I have my reasons for not liking Facebook. I don't see why it's a big deal that I don't like it...

Cactuscat222

I just graduated from my senior year at high school, but I can say how much of a facebook generation it was. That is what it was always about.

What was really funny though, for the first half of the year, our school went through a farmville craze. Literally everyone was playing it all the time, but it died out after Christmas I believe, and now no one plays. Oh fads...

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

LeGuy

I use facebook regularly and honestly can't really seem to find what annoys everyone so much about it. Clearly for some reason, people can get addicted, and people that spend more time on facebook instead of actually socializing are admittedly annoying. But if I want to log on for 10 minutes a couple of times a day to see what's happening in the lives of various people, tell someone happy birthday, and have a chat conversation with my buddy, then I don't really see what the big deal is.

Nonetheless, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Whee!

Lingus

Quote from: LeGuy on June 16, 2010, 03:02:39 PM
I use facebook regularly and honestly can't really seem to find what annoys everyone so much about it. Clearly for some reason, people can get addicted, and people that spend more time on facebook instead of actually socializing are admittedly annoying. But if I want to log on for 10 minutes a couple of times a day to see what's happening in the lives of various people, tell someone happy birthday, and have a chat conversation with my buddy, then I don't really see what the big deal is.

Nonetheless, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
I don't have a problem with you doing that... I don't think anyone really does. I can't speak for others that have an issue with Facebook, but my problem would come in if I were in your group of friends and you chose to post about a party (for instance) on your Facebook account in order to inform everyone about it and then didn't tell me even though you know I'm not on Facebook. It's things like that that would bug me. Is it that difficult to create an evite or just mass email... or hell maybe even call me to tell me about it? Yes, I understand a lot of people are on Facebook, but it's inconsiderate to assume everyone is, or to ignore people who aren't, or to have the attitude of "join or be left out". (btw, not saying you would do this, just trying to answer the question of "what the big deal is" to me at least.)

DarkTrinity

Quote from: Seifer on June 16, 2010, 07:44:42 AM
The people "addicted" to facebook aren't addicted to playing some stupid games on it, they are addicted to the social networking aspect of it. Staying in contact with friends, chatting, writing on walls, changing status updates, commenting on other peoples status's, liking or disliking things, joining groups.

Well that's not always true, I know people who are addicted to Facebook and spend half their life playing the stupid games on there, and half the time doing social stuff. I myself check my Facebook maybe twice a day, but I don't find the games on there intriguing enough to play them endlessly. That's what L4D2 is for :)

FB is better than that Twitter crap though, aye? ;D

JoEL

People socialize all the time, how is this any different?

and why should we care? lol

Hikarikuen

I generally just use it to chat and leave it open the same way one would leave Steam, MSN, or any other messenger open, since more people are on Facebook than the other services. Of course, it's also a good way to learn interesting things about people (although many of the things are just lies/"bandwagoning"), and to put a face to a name (or vice versa if you have a lot of time on your hands).

Of course, it's understandable that some people don't WANT people to hear about them. I for one like keeping my privacy settings pretty strict.

Snakeman

Really the only thing good about facebook is being able to keep up with the lives of people whom you consider important in your life.

Since 10 (6 being family) of the people in my friends list were people I consider worth talking to, and the other 190 or whatever were just random jackoffs from my school that repeated the same old stuff like "BORED TXT ME" or "HOLLA AT YO BRO FOOS" and eventually I figured "!@#$ this, the only people worth talking to, I can just text anyways."

tl;dr : experienced facebook, deleted it cause my phone and msn serves a better job at keeping in touch with those who aren't !@#$ing stupid.

DarkTrinity

Quote from: Snakeman on June 18, 2010, 11:09:55 PM
Really the only thing good about facebook is being able to keep up with the lives of people whom you consider important in your life.

Since 10 (6 being family) of the people in my friends list were people I consider worth talking to, and the other 190 or whatever were just random jackoffs from my school that repeated the same old stuff like "BORED TXT ME" or "HOLLA AT YO BRO FOOS" and eventually I figured "!@#$ this, the only people worth talking to, I can just text anyways."

tl;dr : experienced facebook, deleted it cause my phone and msn serves a better job at keeping in touch with those who aren't !@#$ing stupid.

That is true. I'm considering just deleting half the people on my friend's list because some of them annoy the living hell out of me. Like the ones from my graduating class who only post things about their new baby(picture, status, videos) I hate kids, I don't really care to see their spawn...
And then there's the girl who's been dating her BF for a year but has only seen him 4 months out of the year(he's in the marines) and EVERY status is about how much she loves him, how much she misses him, how much she hates him when they fight, how much she wants to marry him... It's technically been 4 months... get over yourself... *barf*.
Then like Snake mentioned, the ones who are like "Don't have anything to do tonight! TXT ME!!". Is it really that hard to entertain yourself for ONE NIGHT?
Then there's the people constantly sending me invites to mafia wars, farmville, yoville, etc. I play real games.

K, done with my obnoxious people rant. :)
But I do like Facebook, because I really don't have any IRL friends who use MSN or steam cause let's face it, they're mostly girly-girls who aren't the most internet savvy people in the world. So they're on FB a lot and I can catch them on there.

Red October

Quote from: Seifer on June 16, 2010, 01:06:28 PM
Want to know what farmville is? A game for people who have never played games before. People who are non-gamers, but of course, everyones really a gamer. They just have always scoffed at it. So when presented with a game, they get hooked like any of us, except the game their hooked on is such a simple and pathetic one.

Farmville is a casual game. It's aimed at a completely different audience. Labeling this audience as "never played games before," is widely inaccurate. They find it "fun" for different reasons, which are opposite to other "hardcore" gamers. Hence explaining how this rant began.

Jake

Quote from: DarkTrinity on June 19, 2010, 12:35:08 PM
the ones who are like "Don't have anything to do tonight! TXT ME!!". Is it really that hard to entertain yourself for ONE NIGHT?
Shut your face.

(-.-)

^

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

IM FACE

NotoriousM4^

Quote from: (-.-) on June 20, 2010, 02:54:25 PM
^

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

IM FACE
[Sarcasm]HILARIOUS PUN, OMG ROFL, I SHAT BRAX![/Sarcasm]

OT: I'm a daily facebook user, and I hardly EVER play games on it. I go on it for the social networking aspect, it's just a different way to communicate with friends.