News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

"Touchable" Holograms

Started by EpicPhailure, July 29, 2010, 12:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Rok

Quote from: Jake on July 29, 2010, 12:25:52 AM
I'm leery.

Sounds like a pokemon.

The holograms seem legit. But then I continued on with other japanese inventions that popped up afterwards, and they were all reported by the same news group. So assuming if this is real, that news group does a lot of youtubing. *cough*fake*cough*

Lingus

Looks interesting. They basically use ultrasonic waves to provide "feedback" when you "touch" the holographic object. It's actually not that complicated or far fetched, so I don't see why you would have trouble believing it...

Jake

Quote from: Lingus on July 29, 2010, 04:35:22 PM
Looks interesting. They basically use ultrasonic waves to provide "feedback" when you "touch" the holographic object. It's actually not that complicated or far fetched, so I don't see why you would have trouble believing it...
That's not the part I'm having trouble believing. It's the fact that they're calling this a hologram when I would say it's far from it.

Scotty

Quote from: Jake on July 29, 2010, 06:06:20 PM
That's not the part I'm having trouble believing. It's the fact that they're calling this a hologram when I would say it's far from it.

So what's your point.  I call you gay even though you say you are far from it, sounds like your words hold no merit!  ;D

Lingus

Seems like you're playing with semantics. To be called a hologram, it only needs to appear to be a three dimensional object. Are you thinking of the scifi movie holograms where the objects are in real space? You know, there's a type of hologram on things like drivers licenses which barely appear to be 3d and yet are still considered holograms.

Jake

Quote from: Lingus on July 29, 2010, 06:54:21 PM
Seems like you're playing with semantics. To be called a hologram, it only needs to appear to be a three dimensional object. Are you thinking of the scifi movie holograms where the objects are in real space? You know, there's a type of hologram on things like drivers licenses which barely appear to be 3d and yet are still considered holograms.
Yeah, I know, but I feel like they're trying to confuse the viewer into thinking this is more of an accomplishment than it really is. They make it seem like the object is being touched in 3d space, but in reality, they're holding their hand up to a mirror like object that projects a fake 3d image that can only be viewed from one angle. Maybe it's just me, but this is just really "meh". They're not charting any new territory here.

Lingus

The point of this is nothing to do with the quality of the holographic image. It's the ultrasonics that makes it "feel" like you are touching the object. It's an important step in interacting with virtual objects. It would give some indicator (other than visual) that your hand is touching the object which makes the experience more like reality.

Jake

Quote from: Lingus on July 29, 2010, 07:21:25 PM
The point of this is nothing to do with the quality of the holographic image. It's the ultrasonics that makes it "feel" like you are touching the object. It's an important step in interacting with virtual objects. It would give some indicator (other than visual) that your hand is touching the object which makes the experience more like reality.
Ah yeah I suppose. I guess I was more focused on the holographic aspect of the presentation and was unimpressed in that aspect of it, which like you said, isn't what they were focused on it seems.

Scott: Your losin your edge man. Try harder.

DarkBlade325

Am I the only one who read the title as Doucheable Holograms at first?

DarkTrinity

It reminds me of this thing they had at our local movie theater where they project objects from the ceiling onto the floor (like soccer balls) and you can actually kick em around and stuff...
Or this billboard that was at the airport advertising an insurance company. It was a pile of leaves in the shape of an umbrella and whenever someone walked by, the leaves blew around.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this doesn't seem ALL that exciting to me...

Lingus

Quote from: DarkTrinity on July 30, 2010, 10:47:50 PM
It reminds me of this thing they had at our local movie theater where they project objects from the ceiling onto the floor (like soccer balls) and you can actually kick em around and stuff...
Or this billboard that was at the airport advertising an insurance company. It was a pile of leaves in the shape of an umbrella and whenever someone walked by, the leaves blew around.

The difference is, with this one you can actually "feel" those objects that you are moving around. Imagine if when you kick the soccer ball, you feel the impact on your foot. Or when you walk by the leaves you feel a rustling of some sort. The important thing here is not the interaction from person to virtual object, it's the interaction from virtual object to person. We now have the ability to have the sense of touch in a virtual environment whereas previously we would have to visually locate the object in order to make certain we are interacting with it correctly.

DarkBlade325

Quote from: Lingus on August 01, 2010, 01:12:52 PM

The difference is, with this one you can actually "feel" those objects that you are moving around. Imagine if when you kick the soccer ball, you feel the impact on your foot. Or when you walk by the leaves you feel a rustling of some sort. The important thing here is not the interaction from person to virtual object, it's the interaction from virtual object to person. We now have the ability to have the sense of touch in a virtual environment whereas previously we would have to visually locate the object in order to make certain we are interacting with it correctly.

And one day we will be able to virtually feel a bullet going through our bodies in virtual FPSes.

Won't that be wonderful? Oho!

DarkTrinity

Quote from: DarkBlade325 on August 01, 2010, 01:47:50 PM
Quote from: Lingus on August 01, 2010, 01:12:52 PM

And one day we will be able to virtually feel a bullet going through our bodies in virtual FPSes.

Won't that be wonderful? Oho!

LOL. Yes, I bet that would be just fantastic xD