News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

"Touchable" Holograms

Started by EpicPhailure, July 29, 2010, 12:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: DarkBlade325 on August 01, 2010, 01:47:50 PM
Quote from: Lingus on August 01, 2010, 01:12:52 PM
Quote from: DarkTrinity on July 30, 2010, 10:47:50 PM
It reminds me of this thing they had at our local movie theater where they project objects from the ceiling onto the floor (like soccer balls) and you can actually kick em around and stuff...
Or this billboard that was at the airport advertising an insurance company. It was a pile of leaves in the shape of an umbrella and whenever someone walked by, the leaves blew around.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this doesn't seem ALL that exciting to me...
The difference is, with this one you can actually "feel" those objects that you are moving around. Imagine if when you kick the soccer ball, you feel the impact on your foot. Or when you walk by the leaves you feel a rustling of some sort. The important thing here is not the interaction from person to virtual object, it's the interaction from virtual object to person. We now have the ability to have the sense of touch in a virtual environment whereas previously we would have to visually locate the object in order to make certain we are interacting with it correctly.

And one day we will be able to virtually feel a bullet going through our bodies in virtual FPSes.

Won't that be wonderful? Oho!

Holographic sex toys!!!
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

EpicPhailure

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on August 02, 2010, 05:32:03 PM
Quote from: DarkBlade325 on August 01, 2010, 01:47:50 PM
Quote from: Lingus on August 01, 2010, 01:12:52 PM
Quote from: DarkTrinity on July 30, 2010, 10:47:50 PM
It reminds me of this thing they had at our local movie theater where they project objects from the ceiling onto the floor (like soccer balls) and you can actually kick em around and stuff...
Or this billboard that was at the airport advertising an insurance company. It was a pile of leaves in the shape of an umbrella and whenever someone walked by, the leaves blew around.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this doesn't seem ALL that exciting to me...
The difference is, with this one you can actually "feel" those objects that you are moving around. Imagine if when you kick the soccer ball, you feel the impact on your foot. Or when you walk by the leaves you feel a rustling of some sort. The important thing here is not the interaction from person to virtual object, it's the interaction from virtual object to person. We now have the ability to have the sense of touch in a virtual environment whereas previously we would have to visually locate the object in order to make certain we are interacting with it correctly.

And one day we will be able to virtually feel a bullet going through our bodies in virtual FPSes.

Won't that be wonderful? Oho!

Holographic sex slaves!!!

Fixed.

Specialboy

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Aqua

A thick, skin like rubber cylinder. For what, you ask?

Well, for strangling. What else?
~Aqua

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Aqua on August 03, 2010, 01:37:04 AM

~Aqua

The fact that you sign your name "~Aqua" after cracking a joke like that makes me chuckle, but not at your joke. ;)

~Mr Pwnage
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

Jake

~Aqua
Strangling? Is that like masturbation?

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Jake on August 03, 2010, 03:26:11 PM

~Aqua
Strangling? Is that like masturbation?

Holographic fleshlight, I believe is the reference.