News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

5 Reasons Why People Hate Apple

Started by 11clock, April 20, 2011, 05:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11clock

I found this while trying to figure out why there is so much hatred torwards Apple.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/16665/apple_haters

Chaos

I don't like Apple because I hate their constant proprietary and restrictive bullshit.  They're also ridiculously overpriced, and their computers suck for games, which is 80% of what I use a computer for.  Oh, and half their ads are blatant lies.  The author seems to be making pretty shite generalizations.  :T
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Scotty

I fall into the last category, although I will caveat that with the fact that I don't "hate" Apple.  In fact, I am entertained by those anti-fanboys-fanboys (a couple of which I know will probably read this right here).  You know the type, the people who are the polar opposite on the emotional spectrum from the fanboy?  Fanboys are those who blindly support something (TEAM JAKEY!) without having any real knowledge of anything past the fact that they own a product of theirs and they apparently love it.  Anti-fanboy-fanboys (I'm making that term up, you know what I mean), are those who troll the fanboys to put them down and try to bombard them with logic, whose ignorance and arrogance quantify to the same level (albeit in the "opposite direction") as the fanboy they are attacking, aka trolls who feed off of Gizmodo for the latest news that comes in the form of logs they can throw on their own fire.

I don't like Apple, mostly due to the relativity of their market, and who their competitors are.  Case in point, I love Google.  Love 'em.  Absolutely am fascinated with what they can/have pioneered, and am in constant awe over their services that they provide for free.  I'm not to be confused with a Google fanboy, as I have a respectful understanding of the complexities required behind some of their projects.  Think of it as one web developer in shock and befuddled amazement at how they can do "that".  Because of my love for Google, I naturally am going to go and purchase an Android powered phone.

On top of it all, I don't personally (that's the key word, this is opinion) think that Apple has pioneered that much by comparison, more or less that they have an effective ad campaign going.  My definition of pioneering when it comes to Computer Science is, "Holy Habberplabb, how in the 9 Hells did Google get character by character real-time chat display in Wave without killing the servers and watch the javascript turn everyone's browser into a pile of mush consistent with that of gopher poo!?!  What Steroids can be injected into an infrastructure to allow for that!?!"  Or that they actually figured out how to create an effective, bandwidth friendly, and well (and I do mean well) optimized mapping tool.  What did Apple perfect?  Cleanliness and simplicity.  They essentially mastered taking something and stripping it down into a user friendly, your Grandma can do it, alternative.  I like Linux, do you honestly think I care for simplicity and cleanliness?  It's just my opinion.

Lingus

Quote from: Scotty on April 20, 2011, 06:34:12 PMWhat did Apple perfect?  Cleanliness and simplicity.  They essentially mastered taking something and stripping it down into a user friendly, your Grandma can do it, alternative.
To be completely fair though, you can't downplay the fact that simplicity and user-friendliness is actually pretty damn difficult to achieve.

With that said, I'm definitely not a fanboy of anything really.

ARTgames

I'm fine with Apple. Did not like them so mutch at first but I'm ok with them now after I got an iPod touch.

Scotty

Quote from: Lingus on April 22, 2011, 02:25:04 PM
To be completely fair though, you can't downplay the fact that simplicity and user-friendliness is actually pretty damn difficult to achieve.

I'll give ya that, didn't really come to mind when I was writing up my thesis, but I will not disagree.  The common problem developers or engineers will run into is thinking from the 5-year-old perspective on things.  All too often, we can speak design patterns, project management, the difference between standard and prototypal inheritance, but when we're told to think from the perspective of from the outside in, we tend to fail, if not realize, but despise the thought of being told we need to "dumb it down".

Meiun

This is rather funny, because while I don't "hate" Apple, the author of that article actually serves as a perfect example of why I have any of the distaste I do towards them. While this is a huge generalization, most of my dislike towards them comes from overly snobby or arrogant Apple fans such as the guy writing this very article on "why people hate Apple"! I can't tell you how many hardcore Apple fans I've known who couldn't for the life of them actually provide a valid reason for their obsession with Apple (and hatred for anything non apple) other then by saying something along the lines of "Because they're Apple... They are the best." Yet, in many cases, the person in questions reliance on Apple's simplistic designs (which Apple does do a good job with for those who like that, I will admit) often makes them totally unqualified to make that kind of argument even if it could be considered a valid one...

So when it comes down to it I guess, while I certainly am not a huge fan of Apples closed architecture, or often absurd pricing, I guess I really don't dislike the company itself, but rather its extremist fans. Doesn't help that Steve Jobs himself is the worst of them all either (which is pretty much a widely accepted fact). I guess that makes me an "anti-fanboy-fanboy" according to Scotty's definition, although I rarely speak out against or confront the "fanboys" as your definition implies. Ultimately, Apple fans (and any fan for that matter) are more than welcome to be a fan of whatever they like, it could really matter less to me. Its really only when they attempt to force their opinions upon, look down on, or otherwise be a snob towards others for not agreeing with them that makes it bothersome.

And finally, to quote the article author: "Apple does feel it's superior... What do you care what Apple thinks about you? Do you get worked up in a hissy fit if the barista at Starbucks looks at you funny?" Nope, but I'd probably assume they were a bit of a douche, sort of like I think you are Mr. Article Author.

But like I stated earlier, most of what I said is a massive generalization, and there are certainly a ton of exceptions.

Lingus

Quote from: Meiun on April 27, 2011, 09:32:35 PMNope, but I'd probably assume they were a bit of a douche, sort of like I think you are Mr. Article Author.
Lol! That's great.

Btw, I'm probably going to be getting an Apple for our next desktop. My wife is an Apple user. She uses both, but prefers Apple. She has a good reason though. She's a graphic designer. But, with her experience using both PC and Mac, she just feels that Macs are easier to use. Which is the major reason why I would like to get one. In my years tinkering with PCs, building them from scratch, modifying them, messing with all sorts of settings, downloading software and cracks... I have become exceedingly tired of dealing with all of that nonsense. I want something I can plug in, boot up, and forget about. When it comes to that aspect, I believe Apple has the market beat. You can certainly have that with a PC, but I think most people can agree that Apples are the simplest option out there.

Meiun

Quote from: Lingus on April 28, 2011, 02:20:10 PM
Quote from: Meiun on April 27, 2011, 09:32:35 PMNope, but I'd probably assume they were a bit of a douche, sort of like I think you are Mr. Article Author.
Lol! That's great.

Btw, I'm probably going to be getting an Apple for our next desktop. My wife is an Apple user. She uses both, but prefers Apple. She has a good reason though. She's a graphic designer. But, with her experience using both PC and Mac, she just feels that Macs are easier to use. Which is the major reason why I would like to get one. In my years tinkering with PCs, building them from scratch, modifying them, messing with all sorts of settings, downloading software and cracks... I have become exceedingly tired of dealing with all of that nonsense. I want something I can plug in, boot up, and forget about. When it comes to that aspect, I believe Apple has the market beat. You can certainly have that with a PC, but I think most people can agree that Apples are the simplest option out there.
Absolutely. Apple does have some really top notch solutions for graphics design, particularly 3D animation and such. If you take a look at companies like Pixar, they do all of their stuff on macs (I'm pretty sure), and I doubt anyone would argue that they do a really top notch job at what they do. My brother had a Macbook for his Industrial Design major in college for the very this very reason, which made perfect sense. There are a number of good reasons to go with a mac or other apple product, the main ones being the two you listed (certain forms of graphics, and simplicity). It's only when people don't use them for either of those reasons, and then proceed to blindly state there superiority over everything else anyways that makes it ever bothersome.

Hell, a little known fact that might shock many of you... The V2 donor server is even running on a mac! Granted it's being run in bootcamp with Windows.

Lingus

Quote from: Meiun on April 28, 2011, 04:25:21 PMthe main ones being the two you listed (certain forms of graphics, and simplicity).
It's my understanding that it's any kind of production work. Graphics (2D and 3D), audio (music, etc.), or video (movies, etc.). But yea.

Quote from: Meiun on April 28, 2011, 04:25:21 PMIt's only when people don't use them for either of those reasons, and then proceed to blindly state there superiority over everything else anyways that makes it ever bothersome.
Completely agree. It bothers me when people do that with anything. Even PC fanatics...

Scotty

Quote from: Meiun on April 28, 2011, 04:25:21 PM
Quote from: Lingus on April 28, 2011, 02:20:10 PM
Lol! That's great.

Absolutely. Apple does have some really top notch solutions for graphics design, particularly 3D animation and such. If you take a look at companies like Pixar, they do all of their stuff on macs (I'm pretty sure), and I doubt anyone would argue that they do a really top notch job at what they do. My brother had a Macbook for his Industrial Design major in college for the very this very reason, which made perfect sense. There are a number of good reasons to go with a mac or other apple product, the main ones being the two you listed (certain forms of graphics, and simplicity). It's only when people don't use them for either of those reasons, and then proceed to blindly state there superiority over everything else anyways that makes it ever bothersome.

Hell, a little known fact that might shock many of you... The V2 donor server is even running on a mac! Granted it's being run in bootcamp with Windows.

They say superiority, I say SUCKA!
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple

Lingus

That's the case with all electronics...

I've also heard that it's not worth upgrading to the iPad2 if you already have the original.

But that was definitely funny (if not entirely original, the commercial about the same thing but more generic was actually pretty damn funny.)

Scotty

Quote from: Lingus on April 28, 2011, 07:01:19 PM
That's the case with all electronics...

I've also heard that it's not worth upgrading to the iPad2 if you already have the original.

But that was definitely funny (if not entirely original, the commercial about the same thing but more generic was actually pretty damn funny.)

True, but there's no doubt (at least in my mind) that Apple monopolized on the whole speedy rotation between products (what is it now, 10-11 month turn around average?), and to top it all off, they price them so ridiculously high, knowing that the fad alone will get people to buy it.

11clock

I'll give a proper reason why we like Apple.

Best Answer: We like their products. It's that simple.

Lingus

That's a horrible answer.

"Why do you like x?"

"Because I like x!"

What do you like about Apple products?

(Keep in mind, I realize there's plenty to like, I just think your answer was in no way a proper response.)