News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Spiral Knights

Started by LeGuy, April 24, 2011, 10:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeGuy

Three Rings, the same folks who made Puzzle Pirates, recently released a new game called Spiral Knights. It's a sort of Zelda inspired 4-player co-op top-down dungeon-exploring thing. In any case, it's quite a bit of fun.

An element of progression isn't absent from the game, but it's fairly subtle. There's no actual leveling of your character - based on the quality of the items you've managed to craft and how many levels you've played, you can upgrade to higher tiers, (allowing your character access to increasingly difficult depths/levels) but the game doesn't have the feeling of grinding that many other MMOs do.

The style of the game is amusing. Glowing-eyed, mechanical looking knights compromise the game's community, and everything has a distinct clocktower-esque, steampunk feel. Everything is completely adorable.

The one giant flaw in the game is the energy system. Energy is required to do most things in the game, from entering a level to crafting an item. Once you run out, you can't do anything. Each account has a tank of 100 energy refilled every day, but if you plan on playing more than an hour daily, then you'll have to buy more - either using real money, or using the more difficult, still free route of buying it from people who paid real money. (with the ingame currency, crowns) I understand that Three Rings needs to make money, but it's quite irritating to have one's gameplay session unceremoniously ended when you run out of energy.

So... yeah. Give a shot. Energy system is really annoying, but quite frankly, it's worth dealing with simply because the game is darn fun.

My ingame name is Macrocosm. Send me a friend request and we can play sometime.

www.spiralknights.com
Whee!

Infection

Looks sorta-neat. I'll try it. I used to play games from Three Rings (Bang! Howdy, Puzzle Pirates, ect) So It's definitely worth a shot.

Double Edit: I got it to work. :D
"Nobody is perfect, I am nobody, therefore, I am perfect."

"When the rich wage war it's the poor who die."

T-Rok

Started to play, my name is Ntertain.

Chaos111

I already have this :D My ingame name is EliteChao
Life is only the beginning of the story.

EpicPhailure

Played this in open beta, it was pretty fun. Big lack of community, not sure how it is now.

11clock

My ingame name is Kleeg.

Infection

To anyone wondering (+1 bump :D) my in-game name is Infection. I am surprised no-one had taken that name. Elite name for the win!

I just had to update a couple drivers for the game to work. Runs quite smoothly. I love the story, and "The Clockworks" looks insanely epic when walking over it in the starting area.

I have gotten to the main area, called Haven I think. Pretty fun I must say.
"Nobody is perfect, I am nobody, therefore, I am perfect."

"When the rich wage war it's the poor who die."

11clock

All I have to say so far is that it is good, but the checkpoints are way too distant. I completed a couple floors and left, just to figure out that I have to do them all over again because I didn't reach the checkpoint. <.<

darkflash

OMG I play that game ! :D! my names demonrager pretty cool game add me! :D!

11clock

Quote from: darkflash on April 25, 2011, 11:45:57 PM
OMG I play that game ! :D! my names demonrager pretty cool game add me! :D!
Wait a minute, I remember a Demonrager from SO a long time ago. Coincidence?

Jmac

Demonrager is one of darks accounts. He usually gives them to his friends though, as I usually see him and Demonrager on at the same time and know he doesn't play on multiple computers. :-\

Lucifer

Hah... I'm sitting here at my city college computer lab, and as I read this topic I look over and someones' playing Spiral Knights. It looks pretty epic, sort of a torchlight-like dungeon crawler level-clearing game? I mention torchlight just because I saw the guy go down an elevator shaft type thing at the end of his level.

LeGuy

Yeah, it's basically that sort of idea. It's pretty simplistic, though, like I said. There's a lot less emphasis on leveling up and getting crazy new skill - however, certain weapons do have special abilities, e.g. this bomb I crafted recently, the Fiery Vaporizer, releases a cloud of mist that sets enemies who walk through it on fire. Pretty useful, though the explosion range is pretty small.

And the elevator idea is pretty interesting. The most difficult bosses and enemies in the game are located deep underground near the core of the planet, and part of the game's story is that the core releases the energy that is such a prevalent concept in the game. It's always amusing to hear the clunk-...-whirrr at the end of each level, but like I said, the most irritating part of the game is that using the elevators costs energy.
Whee!

Cactuscat222

Love the game.

I was part of the beta since last year, up until release. I was the first person to find a Sealed Sword, back when they could only be found :P /brag

Still play from time to time, haven't as of much lately. I am Cactuscat ingame, feel free to add me. I might be able to get some new players some basic gear if need be, I have a lot of spare energy I'm not using.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

venuse

downloading, ill be venuse of course