News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Wanderlust: Rebirth

Started by Meiun, June 02, 2011, 03:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d2king10

Quote from: Mystery on June 06, 2011, 06:26:29 PM
I really do love this game- I've had more fun with it than a lot of other things lately. But there are a few aspects which I think could be improved.

For one thing, using gems, you do not get to choose which benefit you are replacing for green(and I assume blue) items. I also didn't know that gems completely overlapped one of the benefits- I thought they stacked with the normal effects of the item. I lost 2 +1 Toughness +2 Focus items this way with gems like +25 Resist Sleep/Poison. :|

Gems do not add to items, I guess this isn't clear enough in the game (which we will probably need to make note of somewhere). Gems replace the stat colored in green...so on blue items you can put a green and blue gem in, and on green items you can only put a green gem. Gems are better than the stats that can randomize on the items, so you might have lost +1 Toughness, but you can still find a +3 Toughness gem.

Regarding the limitation of inventory space- I have no problem with it, but the late-game blueprints do take up a lot of room if you have several good ones, and if you could sell them for a considerable amount of cash, it would also help to resolve the problem of ridiculously high crafting costs(at the moment, dunno what it'll be like when the full game is released).

Blueprints are a piece of paper, you really AREN'T suppose to be getting blues until chp 8 - early epic. Crafting costs are not that high once you take into account that you guys are basing this off of 3 chapters (not even 25% of the game), players really shouldn't be decking out in sweet gear at this point. Also, Crawl Mode unlocking which makes grinding tokens really simple. Also, in epic mode, crafted blue items will drop from bosses.

Every chapter's boss increases in chance to drop items...so the bear has less of a chance to drop items than Dread Vine.

Also, even with the reduced difficulty of single-player mode, it is still very difficult to beat a chapter without dying if you have little to no equipment(and considering how hard it can be to get it, unless you get a good double drop like I did above...then screwed it up), and the penalty for death is in my opinion, too harsh. I have yet to see anyone get over 50% if they died, no matter what else they did.

Getting 50% is not bad, it is not like making an F on a test. 50% nets you 50 cp, which is a huge increase at any stage in the game. It is OKAY to die in the game, and yes you can still get 100% with deaths (when a cleric resurrects you, it halves the amount of the death penalty). The more you play the game, the better you will get skill wise (personal skill), and the better your character and gear will become as well.

And the Sludge boss is also much harder due to its constantly spitting poison; I'm assuming that was part of the update.

Yes, Slurge was bugged in the last few versions, he is now working like he should. Slurge is actually suppose to be very hard to beat, but because of the bug he was a joke.

EDIT: Also, the 'escape the cavern before it breaks' quest is ridiculously hard. If the time to get out was increased by half, I could see it being viable, but as is, with my fast Alchemist, I can get to the last section of it before the timer runs out. With multiple people, I've never gotten past the 1st portion because a rock always 1 hit kills someone walking where they shouldn't be.

Yeah, that is a challenge sequence. There are several challenge areas throughout the game that will help you get extra %, and just to challenge the person. If you fail it is okay, most people don't make it.

EDIT #2: This may be picky, but I also noticed several typos in the text.  :P The one that stood out the most to me was Barbuda saying '..let's go our seperate ways'. Should be separate. Might just want to look over the text a bit.

Thanks, will note that!

Thanks for the feedback, we will note the crafting and hopefully make it more clear in the future.

Mystery

Thanks very much for YOUR feedback, d2king- after playing around a bit more with it, I feel that everything is fine as is. I cannot wait to finally buy this when it comes out.  :)

Quote from: d2king10 on June 06, 2011, 08:18:38 PM

Gems do not add to items, I guess this isn't clear enough in the game (which we will probably need to make note of somewhere). Gems replace the stat colored in green...so on blue items you can put a green and blue gem in, and on green items you can only put a green gem. Gems are better than the stats that can randomize on the items, so you might have lost +1 Toughness, but you can still find a +3 Toughness gem.
Yeah, I just haven't found any of those gems yet, which I suppose is my own fault. :p I only have ones like Resist Poison/Sleep +25.

Blueprints are a piece of paper, you really AREN'T suppose to be getting blues until chp 8 - early epic. Crafting costs are not that high once you take into account that you guys are basing this off of 3 chapters (not even 25% of the game), players really shouldn't be decking out in sweet gear at this point. Also, Crawl Mode unlocking which makes grinding tokens really simple. Also, in epic mode, crafted blue items will drop from bosses.
Sorry, I wasn't aware they were that late-game. I was getting an awful lot of them, so I wasn't sure when it was intended for the player to make blue equipment.

Getting 50% is not bad, it is not like making an F on a test. 50% nets you 50 cp, which is a huge increase at any stage in the game. It is OKAY to die in the game, and yes you can still get 100% with deaths (when a cleric resurrects you, it halves the amount of the death penalty). The more you play the game, the better you will get skill wise (personal skill), and the better your character and gear will become as well.
I retract my previous statements about the difficultly level, after getting 100% on all 3 chapters with room to spare by myself. (I didn't realize how much CP you get for 100%ing a chapter, that helped me a lot.) I still haven't beaten the Slurge boss(silly me, spelling it Sludge), but I haven't had a well-balanced team to date. EDIT #2: As of this edit, I have solo'd Slurge with my Alchemist. :L

EDIT: On a side note, are you planning to have the ESC menu pause the game? Because as it is right now, it can be slightly annoying to have to leave for a bit and then return, knowing you'll be dead.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Lucifer

Hey d2king10, could you unconfused me? I don't understand how combos & the point system work in this game. What do each of the symbols mean at the end of each level when counting up the points? What are all of the symbols? How exactly do combos work? I imagine it's hitting without getting hit, but I don't get how long you have between striking before the combo wears off. Sometimes I get 20+ "hits" without getting hit, and get no combos. I've looked on the website, the forums, the manual, and the wiki, and it doesn't explain combat in-depth anywhere.

Here's a picture of my last game.

What's the top one and the one below it?
How many hits exactly are required for each combo bonus?
What's the symbol below the gold skull?
What's the time required for that time bonus?

*edit*
OH, are the skulls rewarded for killing that type of person without getting hit? This shit isn't explained anywhere, I'd just really appreciate some detail here.

Mystery

Quote from: Lucifer on June 07, 2011, 08:31:09 PM
Hey d2king10, could you unconfused me? I don't understand how combos & the point system work in this game. What do each of the symbols mean at the end of each level when counting up the points? What are all of the symbols? How exactly do combos work? I imagine it's hitting without getting hit, but I don't get how long you have between striking before the combo wears off. Sometimes I get 20+ "hits" without getting hit, and get no combos. I've looked on the website, the forums, the manual, and the wiki, and it doesn't explain combat in-depth anywhere.

Here's a picture of my last game.
-snip-
What's the top one and the one below it?
How many hits exactly are required for each combo bonus?
What's the symbol below the gold skull?
What's the time required for that time bonus?

*edit*
OH, are the skulls rewarded for killing that type of person without getting hit? This shit isn't explained anywhere, I'd just really appreciate some detail here.

First off, it's explained in the rewards section in the ESC menu once you've gotten an award. Secondly, combos require many hits. It is just a chain of hits, like you think, but there's a Combo 50 award(bronze, 50 hits), Combo 100 award(silver, 100 hits) and Combo 200 award(gold, 200 hits). The skulls are for killing X number of enemies within X number of seconds. They all vary too. The top one is Combo 50, the one below it is Damage 1000(inflict 1000 damage in a single combo).

For the exact time, I have no clue, all the Haste award says is that you have to complete a chapter in 'under the par time', and I have no idea where the heck that is shown.

The award below the gold skull is the Tactician award, which is obtained by hurting 5 enemies in 2 seconds.

Lucifer

Thaaannk you Mystery, that page is what I was looking for, did I completely miss when it tells you about it or something?

Mystery

Quote from: Lucifer on June 07, 2011, 09:01:28 PM
Thaaannk you Mystery, that page is what I was looking for, did I completely miss when it tells you about it or something?

If you're asking when the game ever prompts you about it, never. I had to deduct how it works.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure it's not in any guides/on either wiki either.

sly 3 4 me

You were 25 points short, if you had gotten the gold in the barrel there you could have had 100%, lol. (Unless I'm forgetting where the gold coin is placed on end chart)

d2king10

You guys beat me to it! :)

We just rolled out a new patch that allows pausing during single player mode (as per requested here)! Also, we made 4 help videos that hopefully address some of the more confusing elements of the game, but we are wanting to make some more help videos on different topics, so maybe a good one would be the awards and combos? Anyhow, you can view the help videos here ( http://wanderlustgame.com/help.shtml ) OR in game via the new help menu.

Yeah, I think how some of the awards and end points are could warrant a help video. Also, I believe the par time on any chapter is around 10 minutes or something (it has been a long time since we set this up, so that is just off the top of my head).

Again, let us know what topics you would like to see a video covered on and we will see what we can do!

EDIT: Oh, and to see what an award does, you can view them in the award menu via escape, and hit space on the desired award!

igufed

Woo, finally have 100% on all 3 chapters in 1-2 players and 3-4 players. :)
Gettra - In development  ExcessPoker - Released v1.0

Freeforall

Reminds me a bit of Earthbound. Anyone else?

Mystery

Quote from: Freeforall on June 08, 2011, 04:53:26 PM

The graphical style can be compared to it, sure.

igufed

Ok, since he reads this forum and this topic I will post in here a suggestion.

The sound effects.  We need an option like we do for music.  I want to be able to lower the volume or turn them off completely.

If I'm hosting a dedicated server and have no part in the game, I do not want to hear anything from that game.

Thanks.
Gettra - In development  ExcessPoker - Released v1.0

Cactuscat222

Quote from: Freeforall on June 08, 2011, 04:53:26 PM

Ehmm... beyond the view of the game, I don't really see any similarities. :P

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

d2king10

Quote from: igufed on June 08, 2011, 07:09:20 PM
Ok, since he reads this forum and this topic I will post in here a suggestion.

The sound effects.  We need an option like we do for music.  I want to be able to lower the volume or turn them off completely.

If I'm hosting a dedicated server and have no part in the game, I do not want to hear anything from that game.

Thanks.

This had been on the todo list for quite some time, we just keep ending up putting it on the back burner, but we will get to it eventually. One thing you can do until then is if you have vista/7 is go into the sound mixer and lower the sound for the Wanderlust application.

Meiun

Full game has been released, and definitely does not disappoint in my opinion. Danimal and I have been playing it a bit together the last couple days, as well as playing with Igufed a couple times. Full version is only $10, and I highly recommend it.