News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

WiiU - Nintendo has announced their new console!

Started by Chaos, June 08, 2011, 04:13:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CherryPie

Quote from: venuse on June 08, 2011, 10:12:45 PM
im really undecided about the new wii u. im really worried about price and i feel disappointed with the wii. i feel like in the last few years Nintendo has been more of a joke then anything, in my opinion. even the 3ds, which i bought for $202 used :), feels alittle gimmicky with the 3d which doesnt really add that much to the experience and is nothing more then a battery drain. if they can set a good price and provide good games for it i may think about it. otherwise i think i might look at the psp vita instead.

talking about battery life..
Some interviewed Sony guy said, they are working really hard to get battery life on par with the first psp, which doesn't sound very promising. I think I will never buy a portable gaming device again before they found a solution to that problem.

Jake

Quote from: CherryPie on June 08, 2011, 06:35:00 AM
Nintendo won. Wii U renders PS3 games in 1080p and has an amazing new intuitive controller.

Every 3rd party publisher has incredibly high expectations on this, ps4 won't come before 2014 and a new x-box probably neither - To be clear: Wii U is getting all the new games like BF3 new CoDs and Assassins Creeds in 1080p, where xbox and ps3 won't even produce proper 720p action without lacking graphical features to pc versions.
The PS3 came out in 2006. The Wii U better be able to render PS3 games in 1080p. The fact that you're even comparing the Wii U to systems that date back to 2005 and 2006 like they're on equal terrain is silly. What I'm interested in is how the Wii looks compared to it's new competition. I have no doubt that we'll be seeing more of the new xbox console soon, and the PS3 following it.

stick d00d

Quote from: Jake on June 10, 2011, 12:25:47 AM
Nintendo won. Wii U renders PS3 games in 1080p and has an amazing new intuitive controller.

Every 3rd party publisher has incredibly high expectations on this, ps4 won't come before 2014 and a new x-box probably neither - To be clear: Wii U is getting all the new games like BF3 new CoDs and Assassins Creeds in 1080p, where xbox and ps3 won't even produce proper 720p action without lacking graphical features to pc versions.
The PS3 came out in 2006. The Wii U better be able to render PS3 games in 1080p. The fact that you're even comparing the Wii U to systems that date back to 2005 and 2006 like they're on equal terrain is silly. What I'm interested in is how the Wii looks compared to it's new competition. I have no doubt that we'll be seeing more of the new xbox console soon, and the PS3 following it.
I wonder what they will come up with to one up their current systems. Nintendo releasing their console first gives the other companies time to compare with the competition and try at something even better, although this system should have came out instead of the first Wii.(even though they didn't do bad at all sales wise of course)

Matty_Richo

Quote from: Jake on June 10, 2011, 12:25:47 AM

The next XBox get's announced (probably at e3 next year) we'll discover that the graphics will be on par or only slightly better than the Wii U, seeing as the Wii U now supports 1080p, I don't think they are going to be able to get much better, than what the Wii U has, in Consoles anytime. It will then literally come down to how good the graphics are in each individual game rather than the console's graphics as a whole.
Hardware wise the PS4 and next XBox will probably still be better, however, I think Nintendo will have far more popularity, and considering it now can support those 'hardcore' games, developers will be leaning more towards focusing on the Wii U.
My last prediction is that Sony (possible Microsoft too but I doubt it) will try to pull a Nintendo and add some cool new feature (Motion control, screen on controller, controller that can make you a sandwich, etc..) but will end up blowing it and will once again die a horrible death.

Magebolt

They already have and it did blow up in there face... Least they have it in aus i'll link you up.
http://zapp5.staticworld.net/news/graphics/203652-ps3-sports-champions_original.jpg
As you can see it still uses the eye toy etc but now has a little glow stick ahaha. Won't
see me playing games with that but hey... I love Ps3's other games;)
http://teno.boards.net/

Just started a 2D Platformer MMORPG with Killer Loader called " The Endless Night Online"

Jake

Quote from: Matty_Richo on June 10, 2011, 09:02:23 PM
The next XBox get's announced (probably at e3 next year) we'll discover that the graphics will be on par or only slightly better than the Wii U, seeing as the Wii U now supports 1080p, I don't think they are going to be able to get much better, than what the Wii U has, in Consoles anytime. It will then literally come down to how good the graphics are in each individual game rather than the console's graphics as a whole.
Hardware wise the PS4 and next XBox will probably still be better, however, I think Nintendo will have far more popularity, and considering it now can support those 'hardcore' games, developers will be leaning more towards focusing on the Wii U.
My last prediction is that Sony (possible Microsoft too but I doubt it) will try to pull a Nintendo and add some cool new feature (Motion control, screen on controller, controller that can make you a sandwich, etc..) but will end up blowing it and will once again die a horrible death.
I see all consoles on pretty much equal footing at this point, except Wii U has something to prove. They need to show the world that they actually are a hardcore console now, and that's not going to be easy after their lackluster run with the Wii. The new xbox will have better graphics than the Wii U. Not to the extent of the 360 and the Wii, but it will be noticeable.

Hikarikuen

Yeah, as a Nintendo fan I'm kind of worried about what the other companies are gonna come up with since now they already know what they're up against.

Also, isn't there a song where the intro goes "whee-oo... whee-oo" over and over? I think of that tune whenever I hear this name.

Mystery

Quote from: Jake on June 12, 2011, 04:47:11 PM
I see all consoles on pretty much equal footing at this point, except Wii U has something to prove. They need to show the world that they actually are a hardcore console now, and that's not going to be easy after their lackluster run with the Wii. The new xbox will have better graphics than the Wii U. Not to the extent of the 360 and the Wii, but it will be noticeable.
The Wii appeals to both the 'casual' and 'hardcore' gaming audience. One of the things that has brought it it down massively is is an incapability of HD, and subsequently, a lack of 3rd-party support. There are several 'serious' games for it if you know which ones to get.

EDIT: The 'casual' gamers were a main focus; I acknowledge that. But it doesn't contain solely those types of games.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

sly 3 4 me

My main thoughts on the ability of this is the overall possibilities this can open up if it is possible for individuals to create homebrew for it, which they most likely will. It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo slips up and allows another possibility for one of their consoles to be breached in a manner to allow it. If it is possible, it would pretty much allow emulators of all other previous systems to be run on it. It might not be 30 fps or higher for some of the more recent ones, but it would still be possible and playable. It would be pretty cool to be able to relax and play some videos on the Wii U controller too without having to turn on a television. The screen's size on the controller would make it a nice view, could probably prop it up too for convenience. This also would be talking if it is possible for homebrew apps to be put on it.

Matty_Richo

Quote from: Jake on June 12, 2011, 04:47:11 PM
Quote from: Matty_Richo on June 10, 2011, 09:02:23 PM
Agreed.

As far as graphics go, I do agree with you ton an extent, however with the Wii, the most beautiful games on Wii (Mario Galaxy, Sonic Colours, Mario Kart etc...) Couldn't compare with your average, run of the mill, Xbox game. I think with the new consoles, while the new Xbox will have better graphics, depending on individual developers and how they utilize the hardware, some Wii U games (especially first party ones) will be comparable to the new Xbox, evidently though the top games on the new Xbox will be even better.

Also, yes, the Wii U does have to prove that the Wii U is a hardcore console, but they are off to a good start, knowing that games, like Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect 3, and Battlefield 3, are all coming to the console is already showing that they are moving into a hard core place, and especially the fact that on the release of those particular games, other than PC, the Wii U will have the best graphics for those games which gives hardcore gamers an incentive to pick up the console in the first few months.

And lastly, http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20110608

Zario777

I do hope people realize that video "games" should be about the "game"play, not the graphics. I would choose (Im being serious) an 8-bit game that was the most fun game in the world with 100% replay value and takes about a month to beat over a beautiful 4320p, 5D, HD game that had like 5 minutes worth of gameplay and no replay value whatsoever (especially since that'd probably end up as a shooter as most games are nowadays)
What would be the minimum requirements to play SO on my computer?
i7 core running at 3.6 ghz 16gb ram minimum with at least 2 x ATI Radeon HD 4870. Best played with full surround sound and a 30" widescreen moniter.

Matty_Richo

Quote from: Zario777 on June 12, 2011, 11:42:42 PM
I do hope people realize that video "games" should be about the "game"play, not the graphics. I would choose (Im being serious) an 8-bit game that was the most fun game in the world with 100% replay value and takes about a month to beat over a beautiful 4320p, 5D, HD game that had like 5 minutes worth of gameplay and no replay value whatsoever (especially since that'd probably end up as a shooter as most games are nowadays)
Definitely, that is completely true. However, graphics can add to the game, make it more immersive, a nicer experience etc... If I was playing oblivion and all the people looked like a bunch of pixels it would take away from the game.
Sow whilst I agree that Game Play is the most important thing in a game, things like graphics and music and voice acting all add to the game, if You take a wonderful game like Fallout 3 and take out those things, whilst the game may dtill be fun, it wouldn't be as fun.

Jake

Believe it or not, sometimes graphics are an important factor in a game. I absolutely hate it when people undermine the importance of graphics in a game, simply because gameplay is king. Yes, gameplay is the most important factor, but when it comes to 3D games, I like to be immersed in the world. Graphics are one of the most influential factors when it comes to the believability of a game world. Games like Fallout 3, Oblivion, battlefield 3, Cod, are all more fun when the graphics are better because the worlds feel more real, creating a higher sense of immersion for me. Do I care if Pac-Man or Super Mario have blocky graphics? of course not, because they're not trying to accomplish the same thing. It's not exactly easy to live my dream of being a dragon slaying ninja if the enemies are big blocks, is it?

T-Rok

Quote from: Jake on June 13, 2011, 04:27:40 AM
Believe it or not, sometimes graphics are an important factor in a game. I absolutely hate it when people undermine the importance of graphics in a game, simply because gameplay is king. Yes, gameplay is the most important factor, but when it comes to 3D games, I like to be immersed in the world. Graphics are one of the most influential factors when it comes to the believability of a game world. Games like Fallout 3, Oblivion, battlefield 3, Cod, are all more fun when the graphics are better because the worlds feel more real, creating a higher sense of immersion for me. Do I care if Pac-Man or Super Mario have blocky graphics? of course not, because they're not trying to accomplish the same thing. It's not exactly easy to live my dream of being a dragon slaying ninja if the enemies are big blocks, is it?

He's not a ninja, but this is close enough.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/GregoryWeir/how-to-raise-a-dragon

Scotty

Quote from: Jake on June 13, 2011, 04:27:40 AM

That's actually something I think Nintendo laughs at, and somehow makes it look cool.  Look at the Wii, the thing has sub-par graphics to any console that's out right now, yet it dominated the console market (and may still).  Nintendo was never a company devoted to "hardcore" gaming, which I believe is what made them succeed, as a majority of their sales are to families who want to jump around the room making idiots of themselves at parties and play with their children.

BTW, if I recall, M$ and Sony (please God no) are planning to release new consoles in 2014.  Quite a long ways away.