News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Portal 2 is Offensive to Orphans

Started by Jake, May 19, 2011, 01:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

http://www.destructoid.com/news-station-portal-2-is-offensive-to-orphans-201412.phtml

Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't making a huge deal out of a little adoption joke actually hurt the child more than if this guy treated the joke like what it is- funny. Normally I ignore these crazy people and go on with my life, but I thought this video was hilarious. This guy almost breaks down into tears because of a little comment made by GladOS in Portal 2, and the horrible effects it has had on his daughter (or so he assumes). Of course, his own exaggerated reactions to this joke couldn't possibly hurt his daughter more than the hilarious adoption comment that GladOS made, and that she claims not to have even !@#$ing heard. But that's not good enough for this dad. Let's look at it from his perspective. Maybe the joke was in bad taste, and insulting to an adopted little girl. If this is the case, why would you !@#$ing repeat it to her to make sure she's heard it. If you don't understand the stupidity in this, let me give you an analogy: A father is pushing his daughter on the swingset and a clown walks by. The clown, trying to be funny, says to the daughter "Why did the little girl fall off the swing?", she asks "why?", and he replies "Because she had no arms". She ignores the clown, without comprehending what she had heard, but the father was enraged at the fact that this clown had obviously scarred his daughter. He asks her "Oh beautiful daughter, did you hear what that evil clown said to you?" She says "no" and keeps swinging and having a great time. The father, still befuddled and enraged, says to the daughter "He said you had no !@#$ing arms! Now how does that make you feel? Bad, doesn't it? it makes you feel horrible. Oh hunny, please don't let his evil comment ruin your untarnished mind!".

I hate people.

Cactuscat222

I agree - it is ridiculous.

I read this in the comments on Kotaku, and it was completely spot on:

"His action has actually worked to emphasize that a special case should be made for her, rather than just treating her as if she wasn't adopted and so the dialogue's subject wouldn't matter. ... The fact that he was trying to care about her being treated differently, has caused him to treat her differently for being adopted. Great Job!"

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

CherryPie

She's wearing a Guitar Hero T-Shirt, nuff said, Americas going down, down, down.

DarkTrinity

"Amusingly, nobody mentions the fact that Wheatley also calls the player character fat and unpopular; likely because Neil Stapel's kid isn't fat or unpopular, it's not an issue"
Lol, yup, pparently the father doesn't care much about the fat kids.... Just the adopted ones.

Humanity is doomed... -.-

Jake

Quote from: DarkTrinity on May 19, 2011, 01:53:58 PM
"Amusingly, nobody mentions the fact that Wheatley also calls the player character fat and unpopular; likely because Neil Stapel's kid isn't fat or unpopular, it's not an issue"
Lol, yup, pparently the father doesn't care much about the fat kids.... Just the adopted ones.

You forgot the best part..

"That's the thing about most parents -- they don't really give a sh*t about anything or anyone, just themselves and the one insignificant, pint-sized little monster they squirted out of their genitals (or in this case, borrowed from someone else's)."

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Jake on May 19, 2011, 02:00:05 PM

"That's the thing about most parents -- they don't really give a sh*t about anything or anyone, just themselves and the one insignificant, pint-sized little monster they squirted out of their genitals (or in this case, borrowed from someone else's)."

Yet another incompetent and oversensitive ejaculation from the long cock of society. Well played Mass Media, way to spread the wrong image for one of the best games of all time. I hope if there ever is a Portal 3, GladOs will think of something to say about ignorant News story writers who clearly are this desperate for a story to even fathom giving public eye to these people.

+ Support GladOs
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Infection

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on May 19, 2011, 02:45:16 PM
Quote from: Jake on May 19, 2011, 02:00:05 PM

I hope if there ever is a Portal 3, GladOs will think of something to say about ignorant News story writers who clearly are this desperate for a story to even fathom giving public eye to these people.

+ Support GladOs

That would be great. (Somewhat inside joke + new game all in one deal)

Everyone has great points here. I think the guy has every right to be upset, but not to complain publically about it. Seriously, it's a joke in a game. When you have a large majority laughing at it, and you happen to be of the minority, that is unfortunate for you. But oh well, get over it. Heh. If the orphan child would be effected by that joke to where she would be distraught, or offended in any way, then she is pretty weak mentally. She has to learn that everyone gets made fun of. Live with it.

Maybe it's just me, but when I was ten years old, people were making fun of all sorts of groups in school. And I was in a pretty good school. I could imagine a bad one.
"Nobody is perfect, I am nobody, therefore, I am perfect."

"When the rich wage war it's the poor who die."

Snakeman

Something tells me the girl's father needs to go into the Aperature Science labs for some personal testing with GlaDOS. ;D

Scotty

It's a publicity stunt.

Wanna know what also cracks me up?  Not only did this stupid stuff make the news... Which, might I interrupt, HOW did this make the news?  Did he call them and say "You're never gonna believe this, I can't take a joke and you should know that I can't take a joke.  I'm available at my house past 5PM today, send a camera crew over."  Anyways, back onto what I was going to say, which is, I'd put down money that when Daddy got home after work, he goes to turn on the TV, goes, and changes out of his office clothes, comes back to see his little TV debut on the 6 o'clock news, lo and behold standing captive audience is his little daughter going from screaming "DADDY!  You're on TV!!!" to "...  I'm adopted?  What's adoption?"

EDIT: Oh, and BTW, to set in stone the man's stupidity, he's allowing her to still play the game, even after that?  She's clearly playing it in the interview.

Yankyal

Isaiah 13:15-18
Exodus 21:15
Deuteronomy 17:12
Leviticus 20:10