News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Stick Online V3 Ideas/Sprite suggestions

Started by Prosper, July 04, 2011, 05:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmac

If it looked more like a gunblade, it would be the new slasher! Nice work Cero, that's some good stuff :)

crozier

K. Thanks for the critiques, I will update the skelly mask later.
In the meantime,

N'other friendly face.

darkflash

krele

Lingus

Quote from: Lucifer on July 05, 2011, 04:59:00 AM
Thanks Prosper, that's a good idea. Although this entire board is for both V2 and V3 ideas, we don't really need to condense them into this one topic, heh. Anyways, I'm going to quote Celson from the V3 topic here, as I don't want to de-rail the preview thread with conversation.

Quote from: Celson on July 05, 2011, 03:32:56 AM
Is there going to be a built-in hotkey system using buttons 0-9? Or is that GUI just for show again?
This is a great question, I've always been curious about Meiun's views on hotkeys. In SOv2 they've been pretty much supported to the point that they are allowed during official tournaments if both participants agree upon them, and that's really only due to SOv2 hotkeys being 3rd party programs instead of a built-in system.

I've always been against the use of hotkeys during PvP mostly because of that reason; I mean PvP doesn't translate into "Player Versus Player & Robot" to me. However, if they're built-in that argument is pretty much thrown out the window, it'd be actually part of the game. (Although it's still doing something at a faster-than-human rate, which I don't know if I appreciate during a PvP match.)

I can't honestly say I enjoy what they bring to PvP. To me it seems to turn battles into a "who can abuse the cooldown of weapons the most" kind of deal. (I.E Katana -> GS, Spire -> IS, etc.) This can in effect be replicated via hovering over a GS while using a Katana, but that requires much more active user participation and concentration, and I support that.

I suppose I don't mind too much either way, that's just my 2?. I just mainly want to point out that it's a pretty big decision. A simple fix to my issues with hotkeys would be to make them not usable during PvP, but some might take issue with that. I'd love to hear some opinions on this.
As it was mentioned elsewhere, the hotbar at the top should be used for skills. I'm sure once people realize there are skills that are in place, they will be more focused on using those during PvP then they will be on switching weapons. As you've said, it really doesn't make a lot of sense anyways. In my opinion, I would be happy if Meiun resolved the issue of switching weapons in some way or another. Either make it so you can't do it, or make it so you can have an alternate weapon that you can switch between. I've seen that done in many RPGs (specifically Diablo). Typically it would be used to switch between a melee and a ranged weapon, but you could use it for anything. If ranged weapons were implemented, this feature would almost be necessary.

House

where can you can i get the stick man???

Mystery

Quote from: House on July 10, 2011, 05:10:28 AM
Combine the head of the swordsman and the body of the stick wearing the winged helm in Paint.
Quote from: Lingus on July 07, 2011, 01:47:50 PM
In my opinion, I would be happy if Meiun resolved the issue of switching weapons in some way or another. Either make it so you can't do it, or make it so you can have an alternate weapon that you can switch between. I've seen that done in many RPGs (specifically Diablo). Typically it would be used to switch between a melee and a ranged weapon, but you could use it for anything. If ranged weapons were implemented, this feature would almost be necessary.
I don't see how switching weapons is a problem by any means. I see it as another feature of PVP in SO; I changed weapons a lot when I only had things such as the Katana, Scythe and Whip, and I still switch weapons to an extent.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Lingus

Quote from: Mystery on July 10, 2011, 09:22:42 AM
Quote from: Lingus on July 07, 2011, 01:47:50 PM
In my opinion, I would be happy if Meiun resolved the issue of switching weapons in some way or another. Either make it so you can't do it, or make it so you can have an alternate weapon that you can switch between. I've seen that done in many RPGs (specifically Diablo). Typically it would be used to switch between a melee and a ranged weapon, but you could use it for anything. If ranged weapons were implemented, this feature would almost be necessary.
I don't see how switching weapons is a problem by any means. I see it as another feature of PVP in SO; I changed weapons a lot when I only had things such as the Katana, Scythe and Whip, and I still switch weapons to an extent.

I think it's something that people just started doing. It hasn't been something that has been around for the entirety of SO. It's not a necessary function of pvp by any means. It may have provided a slight difference with the weapons available more recently in SO2, but still not necessary. Furthermore, the way SO3's combat will work may be significantly different such that it would not even matter. As I mentioned, with skills being available, people may be concerned with using those during pvp instead of switching weapons. Combat may also be altered to an extent. And there maybe be other factors that would change this as well. Weapon switching was such a fluke, that any number of things changing could have an effect on its usefullness.

Either way, it always struck me as kind of a silly thing, so I don't see why it would really make sense to implement something in the game to allow people to do it. The only way I see it making sense is if ranged weapons (or maybe other weapon "types"... what that would be I can't be sure) are implemented that would require you to switch from one weapon type to another mid-fight. And the only way I would see that being done is how I described it. You would equip a primary and alternate weapon, and you'd have a button that would toggle between them. It would never make sense to implement a system that would allow you to switch between all of your weapons in your inventory.

With all of that said, I probably wouldn't care if it worked exactly the same as it does now. If someone decides they want to take advantage of it, then it works for them. Otherwise, you can also not do it. So it works either way.

House

Quote from: Mystery on July 10, 2011, 09:22:42 AM
Quote from: House on July 10, 2011, 05:10:28 AM
Combine the head of the swordsman and the body of the stick wearing the winged helm in Paint
thanks

House

i thought of a base ball cap you know i dont think this looks right but people can make it better if they want

( sorry for double posting didnt relise)

CherryPie

Quote from: House on July 10, 2011, 05:21:42 PM
i thought of a base ball cap you know i dont think this looks right but people can make it better if they want

You nailed the style pretty well, although the sprite is nothing special, I'd rate it 7,5/10.

Lucifer

I'm going to have to take the opposite stance here, Lingus. Switching weapons has actually been a core aspect of PvP in Stick Online v2 since its birth. Originally, although mainly SS vs SS, whips and WH were used as a suprise mechanic to gain advantage over the opponent. After the desert update, GS vs GS took over with katana and WH splashed in occasionally. The GS was such a powerful weapon that using other weapons was assured suicide, and at this time the term hit for hit was established and vit accounts spiked. The majority of battles was then GS vs GS, as katana's animation is slow enough that GS can respond to it easily, and if you messed up with WH you were sincerely boned. Eventually SH made its appearance, and has since joined its brother WH in its ability to suprise rape extremely effectively. However, its hitbox requires practice and is easy to make mistakes with, another thing that can easily be your downfall IN PvP. 

You are correct in that the concept of switching weapons has only taken off recently because of SD and slasher, however I do not believe the difference is slight in the least. After these weapons were introduced there was FINALLY enough variety in the top tier to allow for some seriously effective weapon switching, and I believe it has had a drastic effect on PvP as we knew it. I believe the top PvPers of our time have proven that a one weapon strategy is no longer viable, that each weapon and each strategy has a counter, and there is so much more to think about than hit for hit. foG decimated the the arena with his LSB switching tactics on ledges, DaemonClawz scared us all shitliss with his masterfull SH handling, and now igumal dominates the field by using every item at his disposal to remove his weaknesses. The concept of GS vs GS is outdated and boring, and I believe Stick Online's PvP has evolved into so much more.

As you say it really depends on what Meiun will add to and change about combat as we now know it, but I sincerely hope strategic use of every item at your disposal will be supported and promoted.

House

Quote from: CherryPie on July 10, 2011, 05:44:02 PM
Quote from: House on July 10, 2011, 05:21:42 PM

You nailed the style pretty well, although the sprite is nothing special, I'd rate it 7,5/10.
thanks cherry

Prosper

I started working on an idea for SO 3 monsters. I had in mind to sprite and animate 3 monsters to give an idea the dev team what I could do. Even though I think I could have done something interesting, I've decided that I just don't have enough motivation/time to do so. It made me realise I wasn't fit for the job anyways.

Here is my base sketch just in case any of you would like the idea or would like to use it. I donate it to the community :P.

They are ment to be like tier 1, tier 2 and boss monster of the same tree-type monster.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Forum

Quote from: crozier on July 07, 2011, 12:01:22 AM
K. Thanks for the critiques, I will update the skelly mask later.
In the meantime,

N'other friendly face.
Try to re angle the mask
Officially quitted