News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

2 explorer.exe's?

Started by Freeforall, July 27, 2011, 04:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeforall

Erm... I have 2 processes of Explorer.exe running. Is this a bad thing? :c

Meiun

See if you have this checkbox checked, by default I believe it is not checked. You can get to the folder options via the control panel.

There is no harm to leaving it checked if that is indeed the source of your issue. In fact, it can actually be helpful if one becomes unresponsive. Unless your machine is super ancient and has very limited resources, you may want to leave it checked.

Freeforall

I don't really know what that is D:

But I scanned with Malwarebytes and it found 43 infections. One of them had
a value of 'explorer.exe'

I had no idea my computer was infected. Hopefully I got rid of it.

Meiun

Quote from: Freeforall on July 27, 2011, 05:49:54 PM
I don't really know what that is D:

But I scanned with Malwarebytes and it found 43 infections. One of them had
a value of 'explorer.exe'

I had no idea my computer was infected. Hopefully I got rid of it.
Eek, doing a virus/malware scan would have been my next suggestion if the other thing didn't help. Malwarebytes is a pretty good one. You should really get some antivirus with real-time protection on your computer though if you don't already have one. I personally recommend Avast: http://www.avast.com/en-us/index but there are plenty of other options for good free ones out there as well.

Freeforall

Yep, I have had Avast installed for about a year now. I still don't see how so many infections slipped by, because when I scan with Avast it didn't find them.

Thanks for the help though.

sayers6

quick reminder, make sure you have avast scan regularly on all of it's levels, I've never had an infection show up that it didn't nab up really fast,

Freeforall

Yeah, I have it set to scan twice a day.

And is it normal for svchost.exe to take this much memory?

sayers6

depends if it's the real svchost. For me it turned out to be a virus, look it up before doing anything. I repeat, LOOK IT UP. lol ending the process could do a real number on your computer.

Forum

Uhm i don't have 2 explorers i think you have a virus . I also don't have svchost, what is svchost lol?..
Officially quitted

Freeforall

Quote from: Forum on July 28, 2011, 06:49:42 PM
Uhm i don't have 2 explorers i think you have a virus . I also don't have svchost, what is svchost lol?..
Make sure you are viewing processes from all users.

sayers6

Two explores are normal. Also svchost on windows you should have like 12 of them under *view all processes*

@freeforall I change what I said, that much memory used for one of the few is normal.

Freeforall

Quote from: sayers6 on July 28, 2011, 06:55:25 PM
Two explores are normal. Also svchost on windows you should have like 12 of them under *view all processes*

@freeforall I change what I said, that much memory used for one of the few is normal.
I don't believe 2 explorers are normal.

sayers6

Quote from: Freeforall on July 28, 2011, 08:25:36 PM
Quote from: sayers6 on July 28, 2011, 06:55:25 PM

I don't believe 2 explorers are normal.
I checked 5 computers that the browsers are optimized for speed on, and the all have 2. 99.9% sure it's normal.

Forum

Scratch what i said i had only 1 running when i turned on comp but when i opened up internet explorer i had 2 processes. And then i accidentally ended the task for one of them and i lost my whole desktop. So yeah one explorer.exe is for your desktop i think
Officially quitted

RayRay

One of the Folder Options, like Meiun said, say that you can make each window a separate process, so if that is not checked, then that means there is a virus if you have more than 1 explorer.exes.

HINT: IF it is NOT checked. If it IS checked, then you're desktop would be an explorer.exe itself. If it wasn't, it wouldn't have the same functionality for opening normal windows. If you change the properties of Windows Explorer, and you say the desktop isn't an explorer.exe, then why would you see hidden icons on your desktop and stuff like that?

If "Launch folder windows in a seperate process" is checked, then it's fine; if it isn't, it's not.