News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

New RAM

Started by stick d00d, October 04, 2011, 02:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stick d00d

Recently I upgraded my Netbook from 1GB of RAM to 2GB. I notice no difference in speed at all and still get lag on games. I tried updating my graphics card, and that didn't fix it. Just trying to find out if there's anything else I can do to speed up my computer. I had an old laptop with 2GB of RAM and it was A LOT faster than this, so I know something is wrong. Please help me!

ARTgames

Quote from: stick d00d on October 04, 2011, 02:40:12 PM
Recently I upgraded my Netbook from 1GB of RAM to 2GB. I notice no difference in speed at all and still get lag on games. I tried updating my graphics card, and that didn't fix it. Just trying to find out if there's anything else I can do to speed up my computer. I had an old laptop with 2GB of RAM and it was A LOT faster than this, so I know something is wrong. Please help me!

Um sir, I cant think of a single netbook you can upgrade your graphics card in. Now im assuming your netbook probably is a intel atom with some sort of intel integrated graphics. If thats true all you can do is buy a new computer. Netbooks aren't powerhouses. And you upgraded just about anything that would make a difference like aka your ram. :/ sorry bud

EpicPhailure

Everything in netbooks are pretty much unsuitable for gaming. Processor speed also has an impact on your lag.

Chaos

None of those are at all related to lag.  Unless of course you're talking about low FPS, which is something else entirely different, in which you should probably designate as such. 

Anyway, yeah, probably should not be using a netbook for starters.  :T  It could also be related to programs installed upon the laptop.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

stick d00d

I meant I updated the driver not the card itself. And why wouldn't 2gb of RAM be the same on a netbook as a laptop? And yes I'm talking about FPS lag. Also, this netbook is the only computer I have at the time and I'm just trying to get the most out of it before I have to shovel out money for a new computer.

Chaos

Quote from: stick d00d on October 04, 2011, 07:26:10 PM
...and I'm just trying to get the most out of it...

Alas, games won't likely be one of them.

Also, upgrading the RAM won't really have much effect on the the speed of the computer.  Your CPU and GPU are going to be much more important in that regard, and you can't really update either one in a netbook.  And no, updating the driver on a GPU will not magically make it faster at doing its job, so I can't say I'm surprised that didn't fix it.  :T
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Scotty

While upgrading from 1GB to 2GB of RAM will certainly help in some regards, you haven't exactly increased it enough to be comparative to modern laptops and desktops.  Almost all modern "full-sized" laptops and desktops average a minimum 4GB, while others may have up to 8GB or more, you now have 2GB.  The only noticeable difference that may (or may not, it is only 2GB) see is the ability to load a few more applications or doing a bit more multitasking before you notice performance degrade. 

With the exception of a few outrageous netbooks, they aren't often engineered with gaming in mind.  They're built for common tasks like IM, web browsing, etc...  You've sacrificed performance for portability with a netbook. 

stick d00d

I had 2gb of RAM on my laptop and it ran games smoothly. I figured updating from 1gb to 2 would make it as fast as my laptop. Guess I was wrong.  ::)

ARTgames

You do need a modest amount of ram but you can get by without having that much. But when it comes to gaming your going to need some cpu and a decent gpu depending on the game. To put it simply most games will run just fine once you hit the level of a quad core cpu from a cpu standpoint. But you can get past with a good dual core one also. When it comes to gpu its dependent on what games you play and the setting you want to play them at. You can play most games of today with a $100 gpu but its not going to be able to play graphics intensive games on height or games that will be coming out well. But I do have that what is now a $100 graphics card and I can play battlefield just fine with good settings. But you can go much cheaper or more expensive depending on who you are.

Most Netbooks are basically a super thin/cheap/lightweight version of a stander pc in 2004 time. But a bit faster.

T-Rok

What a coincidence. I upgraded my laptop today from 2GB to 4GB of ram. Made League of Legends run at 30fps instead of 20fps and I can actually MOVE in Minecraft now. xD

Freeforall

I just had my friend look into it, and he said my laptop has two graphics chips installed. :O I can play fallout 3 on it a bit, and Crysis on a mix of low-medium settings. Came with 3GB RAM, 4 max. Single Core (I know :/) 2.1GHz