News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

"In God we Trust"

Started by Jake, November 01, 2011, 07:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

"In God we Trust" bill gets a house vote
Hallelujah! Take that you hippie socalistic liberal douchebags! The United States of America belongs to us Christian folk, and it's about time people recognize that. Our founding fathers intended everyone to accept christianity as the one true religion. remember, God only loves you if your a heterosexual white person that has sex in the missionary position, anyone else can giiiiiiiiiiit out of mah country!

But seriously, I'm embarrassed to be American right now. The fact that a proposal like this can even be voted on is pretty damn stupid. Anyone that supports this bill should be immediately kicked out of office, seriously.

Scotty

This would be the proper URL:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/1011/In_God_We_Trust_gets_a_House_vote.html

As far as my opinion, fine:

THIS IS WHY WE AS A COUNTRY CAN'T GET SHIT DONE.

We sit there are argue over the smallest most frivolous bullshit that shouldn't even be an issue, and likely isn't unless it's one person bitching.  Seriously, who's !@#$ing bright idea was it to go and require that every single federal reserve note (dollar bill of any amount so far as I know) be replaced with fresh new prints that don't have "In God We Trust" on the back of them!?  Seriously!?  Oh wait, I just checked, even better, they !@#$ing stamp out the words... SERIOUSLY!?!  Who !@#$ing has time for this shit when we are trying to stabilize the worst American economy since the great depression!? 

Sorry, a little worked up over this.

Mystery

How on earth did this bill get past the House Judiciary Committee, let alone get 64 co-sponsors?!

AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

11clock

Christians are supposed to spread Christianity, yes, but not by shoving it in people's faces. This is just stupid and will only anger people.

Lingus

I just have to point out that Christians aren't the only people who believe in God. Even though a lot of this stuff is generated by people of that religion.

Mystery

Quote from: 11clock on November 01, 2011, 08:39:47 PM
Christians are supposed to spread Christianity, yes, but not by shoving it in people's faces. This is just stupid and will only anger people. What happened to Amendment 1, right of free speech? If this is passed, what will this eventually lead to?
If it's passed, I believe it will actually 'protect' the motto in case anyone tries to remove it in the future... It's really nothing more than some highly religious Republican state representatives blowing things enormously and dangerously out of proportion and wasting everyone's time.

Personally, I always thought that was an unofficial motto along with other 'God' phrases that somehow got to be spread onto numerous federal things, such as 'under God' being added to the Pledge of Allegiance in the 1950's for some unsubstantiated reason.

EDIT: To be more precise, I think that 'E Pluribus Unum' is still our official motto, since that's what we were originally given as one and it's on the Great Seal.

EDIT #2: Well, I'll be damned, it is actually is our official motto since it was changed in 1956 and there wasn't much opposition to it back then. And its usage and all the other similar phrases have their validity upheld under the concept of ceremonial deism.

QuoteStill, Republicans said the increasing attacks against recognition of the motto warrant passage of the resolution. Rep. Dan Lungren (R-Calif.) said a lawsuit in his district challenging the phrase "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance went all the way to the Supreme Court, and said there are still active lawsuits related to the use of "God" in public settings.

"This is an important message to reaffirm, it is in fact under attack, we are not wasting time," Lungren.

Lungren and other Republicans agreed that reaffirming the motto is important because the U.S. was built on the understanding that God gives its citizens certain rights, which cannot be taken away by the government.

The bolded part of that quote is what draws my attention. This isn't the case at all, the 'founding fathers' just attempted to add that people anywhere under a government should be granted some unalienable rights under the document that is the Constitution. It's got nothing to do with a God whatsoever.

Quote from: Lingus on November 01, 2011, 08:56:33 PM
I just have to point out that Christians aren't the only people who believe in God. Even though a lot of this stuff is generated by people of that religion.
Throughout our history, things like these have more or less been much been endorsed solely by Christian politicians. I can also say I would safely bet money that this is regarding the Christian view of God.

EDIT #3: You've got to be !@#$ing kidding me. The bill passed, 396 to 9.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011/11/01/2253332/lawmakers-reaffirm-in-god-we-trust.html

Nice job, GOP. How about you do something, I don't know, PRODUCTIVE for once?
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Jake

Unbelievable. I hate my country. I despise religion. !@#$ you Washington. No, seriously, !@#$ you.

Our founding fathers are rolling in their graves right now. 369 people should be fired.

11clock

Quote from: Jake on November 01, 2011, 09:38:49 PM
Unbelievable. I hate my country. I despise religion. !@#$ you Washington. No, seriously, !@#$ you.

Our founding fathers are rolling in their graves right now. 369 people should be fired.

This is what I was afraid of if this bill was passed. Let the religious discrimination commence. :-[

Jake

Quote from: 11clock on November 01, 2011, 09:43:33 PM
Quote from: Jake on November 01, 2011, 09:38:49 PM

This is what I was afraid of if this bill was passed. Let the religious discrimination commence. :-[
Don't worry, I've had this belief for a while. Don't fear though, I don't dislike people for simply being religious, because I honestly completely understand why people are religious. None-the-less, I hate what religion does to people, and I think it's hugely devastating to our world.

Chaos

OUR COUNTRY IS ON ITS !@#$ING KNEES, AND THIS IS WHAT THEY ARE WASTING THEIR TIME WITH?!

A revolution is coming.  As an American, that is the only thing I can put MY "trust" into.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Jake

Quote from: Chaos on November 01, 2011, 10:00:59 PM
OUR COUNTRY IS ON ITS !@#$ING KNEES, AND THIS IS WHAT THEY ARE WASTING THEIR TIME WITH?!

A revolution is coming.  As an American, that is the only thing I can put MY "trust" into.
Quick! Everyone start praying. I hear it works better than getting off our asses and actually getting shit done.

Yankyal

The educated and intelligent are a minority in America. Congress doing this will get them a ton of idiots and religious people alike in votes for their next elections. All they care about is getting more votes and staying in congress. Until all the people who know what the !@#$ is going on start voting, this will not change. People who refuse to vote are not justified in complaining.

This is the same reason for the corporate dicksucking that is also going on. VOTE PEOPLE. Show them that they can't just votemonger and break fundamental constitutional principles to keep their power. I doubt this will pass, by the way.
Isaiah 13:15-18
Exodus 21:15
Deuteronomy 17:12
Leviticus 20:10

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Chaos on November 01, 2011, 10:00:59 PM

*Gets torch and pitchfork and follows in line behind Chaos*
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Jake

Quote from: Yankyal on November 01, 2011, 10:13:15 PMI doubt this will pass, by the way.
It did. 396 to 8.