News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo 3DS)

Started by 11clock, November 18, 2011, 07:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11clock

Super Mario 3D Land is the latest Mario game for the 3DS. It combines mechanics from the classic games with the mechanics from the galaxy games. It's received a 9.5 from IGN and they were impressed by the 3D, but GameSpot was slightly disappointed with the 3D effects (other than the water levels) and gave the game an 8.0.

Meiun

I got this game when it came out, and in my opinion the game is quite awesome. It takes a ton of inspiration from Super Mario Bros. 3 (which is one of my favorites), and is seriously one of the most enjoyable Mario games I have played in a long time (based on what I've played so far). Level designs are fantastic, gameplay is great, and the seamless mix of sidescrolling and pseudo-3rd person styled gameplay is super well executed. It makes for a great mix of classic style and modern style mario gaming. Personally, i don't see how anyone can say it doesn't make good use of the 3D graphics effects either, as I think it makes some of the best use of it yet (not to mention that alone is hardly a good reason to mark it down by much in its scoring).

11clock

Quote from: Meiun on November 18, 2011, 11:37:38 PM
I got this game when it came out, and in my opinion the game is quite awesome. It takes a ton of inspiration from Super Mario Bros. 3 (which is one of my favorites), and is seriously one of the most enjoyable Mario games I have played in a long time (based on what I've played so far). Level designs are fantastic, gameplay is great, and the seamless mix of sidescrolling and pseudo-3rd person styled gameplay is super well executed. It makes for a great mix of classic style and modern style mario gaming. Personally, i don't see how anyone can say it doesn't make good use of the 3D graphics effects either, as I think it makes some of the best use of it yet (not to mention that alone is hardly a good reason to mark it down by much in its scoring).

This is what GameSpot said:

"One feature that doesn't add much to the experience is 3D. The effect is purely optional, meaning the 3D is pure eye candy with minimal impact on the gameplay. At its best, the effect adds a neat sense of depth when you're underwater or a touch of vertigo in the air. But these tricks have been used before, and it would have been nice to see this new feature used in more interesting ways."

They weren't impressed because they say it's been used before and it doesn't really add much. IGN disagrees, though.

"As the first 3DS title to actually use 3D as an integral part of the gameplay experience, 3D Land's platforming relies heavily on the precision leant by the 3D effect. You can adjust it with a simple touch of the D-pad to either pop out or sink in more, depending on which suits the area best or just which you prefer at the moment. You can play without 3D enabled, but it makes things considerably more difficult and frustrating - this game was designed to be played in 3D, and you can't fully experience it otherwise."

11clock

Wow, fun game so far! I completed the first world, it was so easy I wasn't even trying. Started with 5 lives, now I'm at World 2 with 18 lives. :P

It was only World 1, though. Hopefully the game will get much harder.

Meiun

It definitely starts getting harder. I haven't beaten it yet, but it is certainly significantly harder where I'm at than it was near the start. I also here the game has a ton of bonus levels and other bonus stuff, much of which adds significant extra challenge to the game.

11clock

I'm seeing an increase in difficulty now, but it's still too easy to get lives. Now I have over 40 lives.

KaptainKohl

This is a very awesome game.
I got it the day it came out and loved it. It uses the 3d perfectly in that if you don't use it, you cant land jumps in some of the levels.
It doesn't really get hard till around... well im not spoiling the that part. The really only hard level that i faced was the last one. i Started with 63 lives, beat it with 7 lives left. I had a crowd  people around me watching me try to beat it during lunch. it was really cool.
Make sure you get all 3 star coins in every level because they are important and it makes the level harder to complete in one go, which what i tried to do.