News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

How accurate is this review?

Started by Yankyal, November 25, 2011, 10:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yankyal

I've been thinking of getting Minecraft for a while now, but then this review came out and essentially shat all over the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap87xnjOh8E&feature=feedbul

What are your opinions on this? Is this really how Minecraft is?
Isaiah 13:15-18
Exodus 21:15
Deuteronomy 17:12
Leviticus 20:10

ARTgames

Kinda like a boring mono tone sarcastic gamer. I think he's just going for "look i criticize the things you all like" move.

The game does have problems and its still buggy. But yeah if you like sandbox building games you will like this. I have been playing for over a year and we have a topic that's over 100+ pages on it here. To me its absolutely worth more than price. Looking at the website they are up to 4 million sold.

So yes. Get it.

EpicPhailure

The Best Gamers are pretty much sarcastic in every review. Check out their Deus Ex HR 'review'.

Scotty

I think Clint Eastwood put it best as Dirty Harry, opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one, or in this dude's case, many.  They're his opinions.  To me, his credibility was ruined at the very end when he said he can't recommend this to anyone, not for the retail price, the app store price, or (the kicker) free.  At that point, when he claims if the opportunity arose to play the game for free, that you shouldn't, that shows to me hostility towards it, and every suspicion that I had that his review seemed rather subjective was justified.

Also, he keeps throwing around "Final version" or whatever it was, as though it will never see another update.  He never claimed there was never going to be another update, so he saved himself there, but Mojang has made it very clear they intend to continue development... And hopefully fix some of the mother-!@#$ing bugs!

To me, this sounds like a genuinely boring, non-humorous version of the escapist's Yahtzee reviews.

TANK

i liked the part where everyone voted no to go to minecon and he bumped it up to 140$. Really i never liked notch and this whole drama going on with the yogcast has just confirmed my suspicions, hes a fat jerk whos a jerk.

crozier

I laughed at how they were ripping on this games, yet one of the guys was level 110.

These reveiwers are very bad IMO. They do not see that people put time into making games for them. They did not even mention creativity and building that much also.
And ROCKCOCK64...? What kind of fag name is that?

Cactuscat222

These guys are satirical, and have done this for pretty much any game to receive popular attention. It's incredibly simple to gain views/attention by playing the devil's advocate, especially for  something well loved by millions. Whether they truly believe what they are saying about the games, I dunno. I went to their forums once just to read around... and I still wasn't sure. I'm pretty sure they do it just for the kicks and to see how many people they can bait into getting angry.

But man, oh man, should I never read the youtube comments. I don't understand how so many people can't understand the simple idea of an "OPINION". I just love the idea that "You're stupid because you enjoy something that I don't enjoy". Herp derp.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

Chaos

@Scott:  And the funny thing is, yahtzee DID like Minecraft.

@TANK:  Your loss at disliking one of the few nice developers that actually gives a shit about the people who play his game.

@Yankyal:  Didn't read the review, don't care.  The game is fun.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Scotty

I think one of the reasons the game is so successful, other than being unique in game play style is the attempts by the developer(s) at Mojang to constantly reach out to customers.  Notch has his own blog that he posts regularly to, his own twitter which has untold numbers of followers, we get a level of knowledge about the future development of games, that you don't get with any of the mainstream companies out there.

The appeal that I get from the game is the challenge of creating large structures.  Ask anyone here who was involved with my last big city we constructed around 4 or 5 mountain tops.  That thing was nothing short of a masterpiece that when you looked at it from a distance, you can't help but wonder how much work it required.  That's what appeals to me about the game.  Oh, and in case I never said it before, thanks to all the folks that helped construct that town.

Celson

Notice how he had nothing good to say about Minecraft? He only wanted to point out the flaws. Annoys me that some nub cakes were making comments such as "I used to like Minecraft but after watching this I now realize how bad it is. Minecraft sucks!"

*face palm

Yankyal

Quote from: Scotty on November 25, 2011, 12:48:49 PM
I think Clint Eastwood put it best as Dirty Harry, opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one, or in this dude's case, many.  They're his opinions.  To me, his credibility was ruined at the very end when he said he can't recommend this to anyone, not for the retail price, the app store price, or (the kicker) free.  At that point, when he claims if the opportunity arose to play the game for free, that you shouldn't, that shows to me hostility towards it, and every suspicion that I had that his review seemed rather subjective was justified.

Also, he keeps throwing around "Final version" or whatever it was, as though it will never see another update.  He never claimed there was never going to be another update, so he saved himself there, but Mojang has made it very clear they intend to continue development... And hopefully fix some of the mother-!@#$ing bugs!

To me, this sounds like a genuinely boring, non-humorous version of the escapist's Yahtzee reviews.
His criticism was that it costs $30 but plays like a totally unfinished game, which from what I can see is totally true. I DO remember the promises Notch was making for the retail release from r/Minecraft and /v/, and it doesn't look like he didn't follow through on most of those.

What I've got from this thread tl;dr is that Minecraft relies on creativity of the fans and the sense of community it can give. It looks like Notch just made a skeleton of a game and the community made the actual game through mods and suggestions via Twitter or Reddit...and I've already been told that without mods, vanilla minecraft is mediocre.
Isaiah 13:15-18
Exodus 21:15
Deuteronomy 17:12
Leviticus 20:10

tehrozzy

Well, Minecraft WAS originally all about building, and regardless of whatever this guy says, you can make AMAZING things. And some of the stuff thats natural in my server is extraordinary. Seriously, Mountains rising out of the ocean makes awesome landscapes.

ARTgames

Quote from: Yankyal on November 26, 2011, 04:34:02 AM
His criticism was that it costs $30 but plays like a totally unfinished game, which from what I can see is totally true. I DO remember the promises Notch was making for the retail release from r/Minecraft and /v/, and it doesn't look like he didn't follow through on most of those.

What I've got from this thread tl;dr is that Minecraft relies on creativity of the fans and the sense of community it can give. It looks like Notch just made a skeleton of a game and the community made the actual game through mods and suggestions via Twitter or Reddit...and I've already been told that without mods, vanilla minecraft is mediocre.
He did indeed build a platform form which many fan made stuff has been made. And to some people mods is Minecraft. Which is cool if you don't like vanilla you can change it till you do.

But this is all a matter of opinions. I personally like vanilla and play it the most. I also like the mods. And I also think that blob of binary that notch calls Minecraft regardless of the state people think its in is worth $30. But that's me. Even if you hate Minecraft vanilla and like the mods its still best to buy the game because the platform its self has value.

Really just try the game. Do you really want to? Its only way to really find out.

Chaos

QuoteHis criticism was that it costs $30

Boohoo.  Should have bought it those 2 years when it was 10-20 dollars.   ::)

Quotebut plays like a totally unfinished game,

Considering it's STILL being updated, it technically is an unfinished game.  What exactly are we deeming "totally unfinished", here?  Playable?  Cause it's been that for over a year already.  Something to do?  Hell, the game is a !@#$ing sandbox.  'Things to do' is only limited by how much people are willing to think, which I guess would explain most modern gamers problems with the game WHOOPSDIDIJUSTSAYTHATOUTLOUD?  End game content or some sort of goal?  OHSNAP, as of last week's official release, it has THAT TOO.

Okay, so you got me, what the !@#$ are we talking about here?

Quoteand I've already been told that without mods, vanilla minecraft is mediocre.

Congratulations, you've been told what to believe.  Meanwhile, I've played the game, and I PLAY vanilla, and I'm calling bullshit.  If you don't want to play the game, that's fine.  Don't play it. 

I'll just say "your loss" and get back to my game.

(That game being Skyrim, BECAUSEHOLYSHITIT'S!@#$INGAWESOME. :3)

I think I may have a problem...
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Scotty

The $30 dollar price tag may or may not be extreme dependent on what you expect out of the game.  The reviewer seems to expect a full fledged action/rpg with sandbox building a bonus, thus he is disappointed.  I think $30 is acceptable for the game's current state.  If you cut out all the opinionated BS in the article, all the facts that he present are true if you are curious. 

You will find villages, NPC's are purely cosmetic, the AI of monsters and pets is shoddy at best, and there are several things that mods have developed which Notch has taken and implemented.  His accusations that Notch isn't an artist thus things like pigs, sheep, and dragons look like crap is nothing but his sour opinion.  I never once looked at the animals and thought to myself "In this day and age of NPC sprite realism, it is unacceptable to have anything short of Skyrim-level detail in a lego-blocky voxel game."

If you're paying $30 dollars to play single player alone, you'll probably wind up disappointed, it's when you get teamwork going, and get a large group of people kicking ass on a huge project, that's when it pays off.