News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

How accurate is this review?

Started by Yankyal, November 25, 2011, 10:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yankyal

Quote from: Chaos on November 26, 2011, 09:24:01 AM
QuoteHis criticism was that it costs $30

Boohoo.  Should have bought it those 2 years when it was 10-20 dollars.   ::)
So it's punishment for not buying it during beta?

Quotebut plays like a totally unfinished game,

Considering it's STILL being updated, it technically is an unfinished game.  What exactly are we deeming "totally unfinished", here?  Playable?  Cause it's been that for over a year already.  Something to do?  Hell, the game is a !@#$ing sandbox.  'Things to do' is only limited by how much people are willing to think, which I guess would explain most modern gamers problems with the game WHOOPSDIDIJUSTSAYTHATOUTLOUD?  End game content or some sort of goal?  OHSNAP, as of last week's official release, it has THAT TOO.

Okay, so you got me, what the !@#$ are we talking about here?
Compared to the shit other games get on release date, I think everyone is going reaaaally easy on Minecraft because it had such great potential during alpha.
Quoteand I've already been told that without mods, vanilla minecraft is mediocre.

Congratulations, you've been told what to believe.  Meanwhile, I've played the game, and I PLAY vanilla, and I'm calling bullshit.  If you don't want to play the game, that's fine.  Don't play it. 

I'll just say "your loss" and get back to my game.
Well unless this reviewer was straight up lying to me, the game does look mediocre. I just wanted to know if this reviewer was bullshitting what he said about the game so far, and from what I've read so far it looks like he wasn't lying at all, but just presenting the facts in a biased manner.
Isaiah 13:15-18
Exodus 21:15
Deuteronomy 17:12
Leviticus 20:10

Scotty

I wouldn't say biased is the right word.  It certainly works as a catch all phrase, but the review seems to be more from a person who just came from a $60 dollar game (e.g. Skyrim) with high expectations and not much interest in sandbox type games.

Yankyal

Quote from: Scotty on November 26, 2011, 02:09:18 PM
I wouldn't say biased is the right word.  It certainly works as a catch all phrase, but the review seems to be more from a person who just came from a $60 dollar game (e.g. Skyrim) with high expectations and not much interest in sandbox type games.
That's his issue I think, and he really does come off as a dick in the video. But the opposite is also a problem, people don't hold Minecraft to the same standards as they would to another released game. Remember when BF3 came out and everyone nonstop criticized the company for little things, like the tactical light? Or the origin support? This was the DAY of release, and they were !@#$ing ruthless with the game. And with Blizzard when Cataclysm came out, every little thing was picked out and used to insult Blizzard. Mists of Pandaria hasn't even come out and people are already hating Blizzard for it.

Mojang is a multi-million dollar company but no one seems to expect things from them like they would with anyone else because of how sweet it sounded in alpha.

Scotty

Quote from: Yankyal on November 26, 2011, 02:33:27 PM
Mojang is a multi-million dollar company but no one seems to expect things from them like they would with anyone else because of how sweet it sounded in alpha.

The thing is, I hate to compare this to any other company or game.  While Mojang is a multi-million dollar company, they also operate much differently than the other companies.  Take EA for instance, they are known for creating a lot of the high-end games you say people criticize.  They are also known for working their employees like slaves, having them clock 60+ hour weeks to meet an unrealistic deadline, paying salary so they can't give out overtime. then let the majority of them go after the release.  These big companies are known for developing patches for their games that are broken (to some extent, Alice anyone?) without the patch, and have no intention of incorporating it in the release, but weeks after the release, so they aren't tied up with getting it fixed and risk missing the deadline.  The giant corporate video game businesses are legitimate businesses that  are concerned about ratings, sales, and increasing the size of their purse, nothing more, or at least that's the perception they've given time and time again.

Notch and Mojang seem to take a much more personable approach to running a business.  Sure, they had to axe things before release, as I'm certain every game has, but I always got more of a vibe that this is the sort of person I could meet one day on the street and get a genuine smile out of him with a strong handshake that you wouldn't get from some pencil pushing CEO who doesn't know any of their greatest assets (a.k.a. fans).

To compare Mojang to Blizzard or EA is similar to comparing oranges to kumquats.  They're both a similar color (same goals), both are classified as fruits (make games), but come from two different parts of the world (figuratively and literally), and have two distinctly different flavors.  Such are the ways of indie developers.

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Scotty on November 26, 2011, 03:05:40 PM
To compare Mojang to Blizzard or EA is similar to comparing oranges to kumquats.  They're both a similar color (same goals), both are classified as fruits (make games), but come from two different parts of the world (figuratively and literally), and have two distinctly different flavors.  Such are the ways of indie developers.

Fruit analogies are so over-powered. :/
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Scotty

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on November 26, 2011, 03:16:45 PM
Quote from: Scotty on November 26, 2011, 03:05:40 PM

Fruit analogies are so over-powered. :/

Thought it was somewhat relevant and easy considering the circumstances of currently drinking a delicious "The Bruery" collaboration series beer with Dogfish head that was brewed with kumquats.

ARTgames

You asked are opinions and we all said we liked it. If the game is mediocre or not is up to the user. He thinks its mediocre, I don't. No one's lying here.

Regardless to what ever standers you hold Minecraft up to I still enjoy it when I play it and think its worth the price. And that's all that matters. If all you care about is how people review games you can point and criticize/parse any game for any reason.

I find reviews almost completely useless by themselves if there not factual. I just look for some one who is consistent in reviewing games. Compare their opinions to mine in past games we have both played. Then use how we differ when he reviews something I have not played to have a better idea if I like it or not.

I compare games for what they are alone. Not how much money a game studio has in the bank. They can have all the money in the world and the game can still be suck or awesome.

I myself is also not judging it because of how "sweet" the ideas of what Minecraft could be. I'm judging in on what I can do now.

Yankyal

Quote from: ARTgames on November 26, 2011, 03:25:52 PM
You asked are opinions and we all said we liked it. If the game is mediocre or not is up to the user. He thinks its mediocre, I don't. No one's lying here.

Regardless to what ever standers you hold Minecraft up to I still enjoy it when I play it and think its worth the price. And that's all that matters. If all you care about is how people review games you can point and criticize/parse any game for any reason.

I find reviews almost completely useless by themselves if there not factual. I just look for some one who is consistent in reviewing games. Compare their opinions to mine in past games we have both played. Then use how we differ when he reviews something I have not played to have a better idea if I like it or not.

I compare games for what they are alone. Not how much money a game studio has in the bank. They can have all the money in the world and the game can still be suck or awesome.

I myself is also not judging it because of how "sweet" the ideas of what Minecraft could be. I'm judging in on what I can do now.
Didn't ask whether or not you liked it, I was just asking if the things he said in the video were lies or not. I know what the definition of an opinion is and I understand that people like things I don't, and that reviews are also opinion. I don't care whether the reviewer loves it or not, I was just wondering if all the issues he had with the game were for real. He could have just been exaggerating or just plain wrong with all his complaints, so I wanted to make sure.

ARTgames

Edit: made lots of them
So you want to know the facts. I'm ok with that. what concerns you about the game and I can give you a yay or nay if its really in the game or not :) Since now I have a better understanding of what you want

Lucifer

When it comes down to it, the details really don't matter. Is it unfinished? Sure. Were promises unfulfilled? Sure. Did he incorporate user ideas? Sure. (Because, that's a bad thing... right?) Is the reviewer lying? Doubtful. Is the reviewer nitpicking? Definitely.

Personally, I don't play vanilla or modded Minecraft anymore. I have no issues in particular with the game, I just need a solid, stable, purpose behind my resource collecting to sustain my interest. In my search for such a thing I've found that Minecraft is an excellent base for Role Play, and I've participated in several Role Play servers in the past; specifically attempts to replicate a Medieval Society by removing Minecraft's monsters and supporting a large player base for constant political intrigue and epic massive battles.

In summary, if you're creative $30 is a steal. If you aren't, well, there's always World of Warcraft.

ARTgames

Quote from: Lucifer on November 26, 2011, 11:53:16 PM
In my search for such a thing I've found that Minecraft is an excellent base for Role Play, and I've participated in several Role Play servers in the past; specifically attempts to replicate a Medieval Society by removing Minecraft's monsters and supporting a large player base for constant political intrigue and epic massive battles.

elaborate, where can I find out more.