News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Stop Online Piracy Act(SOPA) and Protect IP Act

Started by Mystery, December 19, 2011, 04:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mystery

http://www.slashgear.com/sopa-vote-rescheduled-for-this-week-attempts-silent-passage-19203217/

SOPA is trying to be run through the government this week, despite the talk of delays and massive public outburst against it.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-57345187-281/senate-will-vote-next-month-on-protect-ip-copyright-bill/

The Protect IP Act, however, is luckily going to wait a bit longer until January 24 since this post.

So yeah, I'm a little surprised I still haven't seen a topic about this. I'm sure most of you know at least a little bit about it.

It's another 'US government screwing over everything' ordeal, except as far as those tend to go, this is a very nasty one.

Several people, corporations, and other entities are pushing for both the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and Protect IP Act in the US government. They already have several sponsors and some support behind them. If either/both of these bills are passed, enormous regulations and restrictions will be set in place for US ISPs. Which affects EVERYONE. In a nutshell, for even a HINT of something which might be intellectual property taken out of context(LP's, videos, fan-made stuff, discussion), ISPs have full right to deny access or even blacklist IPs under these. And obviously, this won't do anything to combat piracy, this will encourage much more. If they pass, the Internet, the best experiment ever in free information and resources, will be utterly crippled indefinitely.

You can read SOPA in its entirety here and see just HOW BAD this is for yourself.

You can read the Protect IP Act here as well.

Thoughts, questions, and comments?
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

RayRay

I hope this bill has the same fate as S.978. Over 60% (possibly 70) in the U.S. know what the internet is. On that note, there is no way that a law restricting access to the good of people will pass.

T-Rok

Quote from: RayRay on December 19, 2011, 04:10:16 PM
I hope this bill has the same fate as S.978. Over 60% (possibly 70) in the U.S. know what the internet is. On that note, there is no way that a law restricting access to the good of people will pass.

You're joking right?

Jake

What is this new fangled internet people keep talking about?

Freeforall

I really hope this thing doesn't get passed. It will make it so much harder to pirate stuff.

Celson

Over 60% (possibly 70) in the U.S. know what the internet is.

Umm, what?

Mystery

Quote from: Freeforall on December 19, 2011, 11:00:23 PM
I really hope this thing doesn't get passed. It will make it so much harder to pirate stuff.
:-\

It'll make it hard to do ANYTHING on the Internet, period. And I'm sure pirates will find some way eventually to keep pirating 'more' widespread.

I'm more worried about these because of them having more support than S.978 did. I'm also surprised because they seem to be generating less worry as well overall.

EDIT:

I know people in the US are complete morons, but where the heck did you get that statistic from? There's no way that can be right.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

ARTgames

RayRay

Quote from: Mystery on December 20, 2011, 08:45:00 PM
EDIT:

I know people in the US are complete morons, but where the heck did you get that statistic from? There's no way that can be right.
http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm

Slightly forgot though. Look at North America.

11clock

sayers6

Quote from: RayRay on December 20, 2011, 11:40:12 PM
EDIT:

HUGE difference between "user" and "number of people using internet", and an even bigger difference between "use" and "know about" I bet more than 78% of people use the internet, seeing that multiple people use the same computer and that is most likely how they get their statistics, it could be much higher. Also, go down a street in the US, and ask some what what the internet is, either the person will call you a !@#$ing moron, or will tell you at least SOMETHING about it. The only population who doesn't know what the internet is, are younger than 6, or don't live in an area with any internet.

RayRay

Quote from: sayers6 on December 21, 2011, 03:36:20 PM
Quote from: RayRay on December 20, 2011, 11:40:12 PM
EDIT:

HUGE difference between "user" and "number of people using internet", and an even bigger difference between "use" and "know about" I bet more than 78% of people use the internet, seeing that multiple people use the same computer and that is most likely how they get their statistics, it could be much higher. Also, go down a street in the US, and ask some what what the internet is, either the person will call you a !@#$ing moron, or will tell you at least SOMETHING about it. The only population who doesn't know what the internet is, are younger than 6, or don't live in an area with any internet.
True. When I posted this, I had remembered that statistic over a month ago, and I had slightly derived from what it was. If I was wiser, I would have retyped that sentence by looking it up and then saying it. The people that would know the internet might as well be way over 80%. How you say this, it could be over 90. It didn't tell about the U.S. though, (unless I had missed a certain link) so I had to guess a little.

HamsterPants

Guys this video looks like a ray of hope. You should watch it and spread it around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJIuYgIvKsc

DarkTrinity

Quote from: HamsterPants on December 23, 2011, 01:57:15 AM
Guys this video looks like a ray of hope. You should watch it and spread it around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJIuYgIvKsc

Woooow. If all that is true, that's !@#$ed up.
If SOPA still gets passed even with all that evidence, I think the government will have mass mobs of angry people on their hands.
(Also the story of the US trying to bring the UK kid over here to put him in jail for 5 years... I feel embarrassed for our country over that... wow)

Yankyal

Have you guys been hearing about GoDaddy? They supported SOPA, and then hundreds of thousands of their domains straight up transferred services and boycotted them. They took back their support for SOPA in under 24 hours, shit was crazy.
Isaiah 13:15-18
Exodus 21:15
Deuteronomy 17:12
Leviticus 20:10