News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Stop Online Piracy Act(SOPA) and Protect IP Act

Started by Mystery, December 19, 2011, 04:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

Quote from: Yankyal on December 24, 2011, 01:40:29 AM
Have you guys been hearing about GoDaddy? They supported SOPA, and then hundreds of thousands of their domains straight up transferred services and boycotted them. They took back their support for SOPA in under 24 hours, shit was crazy.

Before:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/12/godaddy-faces-december-29-boycott-over-sopa-support.ars

After:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/12/victory-boycott-forces-godaddy-to-drop-its-support-for-sopa.ars

To be completely honest, with my straight up hatred of Godaddy, i was hoping they wouldn't back down and this would act as the shovel for their inevitable grave; alas I am disappointed.  If there's a web company out there (registrar, hosting, both, etc...) that needs to die off, it's Godaddy.

Grim_Reaper

But this is why Americans shouldn't own the internet. It should be a equally owned by everyone. The Americans didnt even create the internet but they still say they did and say they have every right to own it.
And thus stupid "bills" are created because people whine about shit that shouldn't be whined about. Plus these "bills" will not effect anyone outside America or shouldn't unless its passed in an international court. I am not saying this to all Americans, (but mainly their government) but you guys keep on trying to own everything and keep trying to be better then everyone else.

No offence was meant in this post. I am just posting my opinion.

Grim_Reaper -> lvl 78
Teh_Ninja    -> lvl 34
FL0P           -> lvl 51

tehrozzy

Quote from: Grim_Reaper on December 24, 2011, 05:52:44 AM
And thus stupid "bills" are created because people whine about shit that shouldn't be whined about. Plus these "bills" will not effect anyone outside America or shouldn't unless its passed in an international court.
Except it will. Every website hosted in America is subject to this Bill. Think: GOOGLE, and in occurence YOUTUBE and other commonly used sites will be affected by this.
In other news, American Government are dumber then youtube if this passes.

Grim_Reaper

Quote from: YayForLife on December 24, 2011, 06:15:49 AM
Quote from: Grim_Reaper on December 24, 2011, 05:52:44 AM
And thus stupid "bills" are created because people whine about shit that shouldn't be whined about. Plus these "bills" will not effect anyone outside America or shouldn't unless its passed in an international court.
Except it will. Every website hosted in America is subject to this Bill. Think: GOOGLE, and in occurence YOUTUBE and other commonly used sites will be affected by this.
In other news, American Government are dumber then youtube if this passes.
or shouldn't

Yeah which makes it bad for any other country. They have no right to change something that isnt rightfully theirs. Please tell me everyone knows how the internet became commercial?

Grim_Reaper -> lvl 78
Teh_Ninja    -> lvl 34
FL0P           -> lvl 51

T-Rok

"This debate is about preserving, protecting, and creating American jobs, and protecting American consumers from the dangers that they face on-line," the statement reads. "US businesses are getting robbed and US consumers are getting duped."

All time favourite quote supporting SOPA. From GoDaddy.

DarkTrinity

I think the most moronic thing is that they're trying to regulate other countries use of the internet with this one stupid bill. Trying to extradite foreigners to America to prosecute them for something totally legal in their country?? All I can say is *facepalm*
And with SOPA, I've lost all faith in the intelligence of our government. Piracy is completely legal in other countries, we're not the world police, and I am ashamed of the government for trying to do so on such a pointless matter. (pointless in comparison to say countries in war/poverty/whatever who actually want our involvement)

Freeforall

If this is passed, what should I do about all of the pirated stuff on my harddrive? Heck, my operating system was pirated. Pretty much any software I have ever used has been pirated. Should I delete them?

DarkTrinity

Quote from: Freeforall on December 24, 2011, 12:44:18 PM
If this is passed, what should I do about all of the pirated stuff on my harddrive? Heck, my operating system was pirated. Pretty much any software I have ever used has been pirated. Should I delete them?
Uhhh, how the hell would they know they're pirated?

Chaos

The problem is that our congress is ridiculously corrupt.  The entire lobbying system going on in the United States is broken as !@#$.  These big entertainment industry companies (aka, big, whiny, greedy babies) go and lobby to these congressmen about all their 'interests', while also giving them millions of dollars in 'campaign donations' (aka, bribes.  Yes, bribery is essentially legal).  In result, our congress bends over and and makes themselves the bitches of these corporations. 

All those people who argue against piracy because it hurts these big companies and they won't be able to keep doing what they are doing?  GOOD.  I WANT THESE CORPORATIONS TO DIE.  When an area of nature becomes overgrown, it's a natural part of the cycle for it to burn to the ground and begin anew from the ashes.  Let Hollywood and the RIAA burn to the ground, so new, fresh, more intelligent 'life' can take its place.

P.S.:  As per the OpenCongress.org blog:

Quote from: www.OpenCongress.org/blogAs 2011 ends, the first session of the 112th U.S. Congress stumbles to a bad-faith curtain. The third branch of federal government in our representative democracy, Congress is down to a new record-low 11% approval rating, as per Gallup News this week. "This earns Congress a 17% yearly average for 2011, the lowest annual congressional approval rating in Gallup history," they report.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Scotty

As long as money remains in politics, and the president doesn't fire our bought congress, we're screwed.  People like the entertainment industry waive their dollars in front of politicians so that they get their votes (bribery as Chaos said), and of course politicians are gonna take that money.  They're too greedy not too.  Industries come to them and say "Hey, we'll fund your candidacy if you remain incapable of making legislation on healthcare, trade, banking, taxes, because we'll tell you what we want.  All you have to do is raise your hand and say yay when the vote comes around.  Be warned though, if you grow a brain or balls, we'll take that money away from you."  Until money is removed from politics, we'll be repeating this among many other larger issues (tens of trillions in debt anyone?) for decades to come.

Grim_Reaper

Quote from: T-Rok on December 24, 2011, 11:09:10 AM
"This debate is about preserving, protecting, and creating American jobs, and protecting American consumers from the dangers that they face on-line," the statement reads. "US businesses are getting robbed and US consumers are getting duped."

Yes but by putting the US in a good shape, they are nearly putting every other country in for the worse :/

Grim_Reaper -> lvl 78
Teh_Ninja    -> lvl 34
FL0P           -> lvl 51

DarkTrinity

Quote from: Grim_Reaper on December 25, 2011, 04:53:17 AM
Quote from: T-Rok on December 24, 2011, 11:09:10 AM

Yes but by putting the US in a good shape, they are nearly putting every other country in for the worse :/

I think he's saying it's his favorite quote because it's funny, not because it's true...
Because pretty sure it'll put the US in even worse shape. And GoDaddy should just not make any comments, ever.

krele

The best way for evil people to do bad deeds is good people to do nothing about it. They can't censor something that doesn't even belong to them!
Really guys, don't let your government get away with this. It's hella obvious they are doing this to cage you even more! It's so unfair that the world has to rely on a country where people are so brainwashed by their government. Do whatever it takes to reclaim your freedom...

DarkTrinity

If they made this a peoples' vote, guarantee it would be smashed. Idk why they're still even talking about it, it's literally one of the dumbest things I've heard them discussing apart from the whole 'pizza is a vegetable' thing.... -.-
Wish they'd waste time on something important.

T-Rok

Quote from: DarkTrinity on December 29, 2011, 11:47:11 AM
If they made this a peoples' vote, guarantee it would be smashed. Idk why they're still even talking about it, it's literally one of the dumbest things I've heard them discussing apart from the whole 'pizza is a vegetable' thing.... -.-
Wish they'd waste time on something important.

Like lowering gas prices.