News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

What do you do?

Started by sayers6, February 02, 2012, 05:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

Quote from: stick d00d on February 03, 2012, 11:29:27 PM
I graduated high school in '09 and still don't know what I'm going to do. I was supposed to join the military, either air force or navy, but to be honest I'm worried about getting stuck in a shitty job. I feel like my parents just want me to join to get me out of their house, and they act like I can make a decision over night that will impact the rest of my life. What I really want to do is become an electrician or something and not even pursue a career in the military. So at this point, I'm not working right now, have applied to many places, and haven't heard back from any. Maybe I will end up joining the service because right now the economy sucks ass.

Assuming that's the US military, I hear they've acquired quite a waiting list since I was in.  Part of that whole drawing back and cutting funding.  Regardless, there are a metric butt ton of jobs in the military that relate to electrician work.  You get paid to learn it, 4+ years of experience doing it, benefits that can't be beat, and a heck of a resume when you get out.  From a veteran to someone who's on the fence, I'd highly recommend it.  Look at me, no college education, everything is self taught, and because of the military (granted that I acquired a few "bonus" perks while in) as well as the fact that I worked my ass off while I was in to make sure my self taught education was actually worth something, I'm making six figures.

stick d00d

Quote from: Scotty on February 03, 2012, 11:35:23 PM
Quote from: stick d00d on February 03, 2012, 11:29:27 PM
I graduated high school in '09 and still don't know what I'm going to do. I was supposed to join the military, either air force or navy, but to be honest I'm worried about getting stuck in a shitty job. I feel like my parents just want me to join to get me out of their house, and they act like I can make a decision over night that will impact the rest of my life. What I really want to do is become an electrician or something and not even pursue a career in the military. So at this point, I'm not working right now, have applied to many places, and haven't heard back from any. Maybe I will end up joining the service because right now the economy sucks ass.

Assuming that's the US military, I hear they've acquired quite a waiting list since I was in.  Part of that whole drawing back and cutting funding.  Regardless, there are a metric butt ton of jobs in the military that relate to electrician work.  You get paid to learn it, 4+ years of experience doing it, benefits that can't be beat, and a heck of a resume when you get out.  From a veteran to someone who's on the fence, I'd highly recommend it.  Look at me, no college education, everything is self taught, and because of the military (granted that I acquired a few "bonus" perks while in) as well as the fact that I worked my ass off while I was in to make sure my self taught education was actually worth something, I'm making six figures.
Yea I've heard about the whole waiting list thing on the news. My dad is currently working with a company that has an electrical division. I could work at his company and go to an electrician's school for 3 years and get a license which guarantees $80k/year. I'm not sure if I want to go this route or through the military at the moment. Basically all of my family is pushing me towards the military, and I think I will most likely end up enlisting because it seems the most secure option.

Jmac

I currently work at a local music store after school. (I'm a high school sophomore) I'm already part of a program that lets me take a few college classes a semester late at night which is a good head start. I plan on having Computer science-IT as my major with a minor in business.

scsox

I'm currently a high school sophomore.. I'm a deckhand on a commercial fishing boat in alaska in the summer/ when i can take time off school during the big openings. Also, I currently teach swim lessons at swim america during the school year.

Mystery

Quote from: venuse on February 03, 2012, 07:12:19 PM
well lets see i work at a walmart as a cartpusher, although i do alot more then pushing carts. like retrieving electric carts, carry in, and carry out, stocking utility room, trash gathering off the lot, emptying recycling bins, or anything else my bosses want me to do. pretty sure i wont be going to college and not sure what else ill do although im getting sick of walmart in general. maybe go work at a movie theater or something.
I'm curious, what's preventing you(other than a degree) from pursuing graphical art design? You've got an incredible talent for it, I enjoy seeing your work, and I don't like seeing things like that left unused.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

DivineLegend

I currently work in the meat department of our local grocery store. Been doing that for 3 years. Met my girlfriend on my 3 year anniversary working actually. I'm going to college right now, and before this semester, I was planning on going into Nuclear Engineering, but I'm taking a hardware/OS class and a networking class. I don't know what I want to do exactly anymore, but I really enjoy working on and with computers. So I think it's my calling.