News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

SO Chatbox

Started by kensuga, February 04, 2012, 10:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kensuga

I noticed the thread dedicated to posting if a boss spawns, but I thought that, since there is no Chatbox, that is sorta convenient, but why not just have a chatbox for the users to use, that way they don't have to login to the forum each time. So in that essence, since I'm familiar with a website called xat, i made a chatbox for the users of Stick Online to use if they feel it would be cool. Its unofficial, but I think it'd be useful. If you guys don't approve, well I'll just take it down. Its a free service, so I found no harm in making one really quick. Anyways, heres the link below. If any mods get on, I'll enable their permissions real quick so they can moderate it as they want.

http://xat.com/StickOnline

A little about XAT. It's a free chatbox hosting website, and when in chatbox you can edit your name, and or avatar to how you see fit, by clicking on the name in the chatbox. They provide tons of avatars but there is also the option to use your own via Photobucket. There is also features to play games with eachother in the chatbox, as well as share youtube videos, via being on the youtube tab, and pasting in the URL

GFX-DoerPerson

Scotty

We've tried 3rd party chats, not one has succeeded.  I even convinced Meiun to install a shoutbox on the forum, but unfortunately it crippled the website under heavy load (never saw that coming).  I've been working on my own shoutbox mechanism using WebSockets and Node.js, but am not entirely certain I, or anyone would use it for SMF (the forum software this site is powered by), as it requires an external socket server to be running, and shared hosting services (the most likely of hosts for forums) generally aren't too keen on letting customers running persistent servers on their limited infrastructures.  I might try it just to get the experience though, and use PHP's CLI to run off of so users don't have to worry about compiling Node from source on their servers if it's even possible to do so.  Regardless though, even if it were adopted by Meiun and incorporated into SMF, he'd have to pay for a static IP address from the host to get the ports opened up in order to run it.  Not a whole lot of money additional, but it is none the less.

Long story short, you probably won't get too much prolonged activity.  These things hardly ever get far off the ground.

Yankyal

Quote from: Scotty on February 04, 2012, 02:00:19 PM
We've tried 3rd party chats, not one has succeeded.  I even convinced Meiun to install a shoutbox on the forum, but unfortunately it crippled the website under heavy load (never saw that coming).  I've been working on my own shoutbox mechanism using WebSockets and Node.js, but am not entirely certain I, or anyone would use it for SMF (the forum software this site is powered by), as it requires an external socket server to be running, and shared hosting services (the most likely of hosts for forums) generally aren't too keen on letting customers running persistent servers on their limited infrastructures.  I might try it just to get the experience though, and use PHP's CLI to run off of so users don't have to worry about compiling Node from source on their servers if it's even possible to do so.  Regardless though, even if it were adopted by Meiun and incorporated into SMF, he'd have to pay for a static IP address from the host to get the ports opened up in order to run it.  Not a whole lot of money additional, but it is none the less.

Long story short, you probably won't get too much prolonged activity.  These things hardly ever get far off the ground.

Why not give everyone permanent global chat in S.O 2 only? There's never enough people online for it to become a bother.
Isaiah 13:15-18
Exodus 21:15
Deuteronomy 17:12
Leviticus 20:10