News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console

Started by ARTgames, July 11, 2012, 01:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EpicPhailure

Saw this on reddit.

Seems like a nice concept, but there aren't many free things that compete with something pricey. People would much rather drop ~$200 on a PS3 or Xbox 360 because there are already companies developing games for those consoles.

ARTgames

Another set top box is going to be added to the war of your living room. I like the idea and all but looking at it now it seems to be a smartphone/tablet level hardware connected to the TV with its main point of having a nice controller. I really hope the software works well and has a good ui for the tv and a controller, It also needs to have good software made for it. And for the price to not be too high in the end. These points are the only things it has going for me. Unless they make the best controller ever. Other than that I can just connect my PC to a tv with my 360 controller/wireless keyboard and mouse/etc and use that.

QuoteTheir business model pretty much relies on profits from the games, and in an interview they say they think game companies will sell them at $60 a pop. Because the reason Android games today don't sell for $60 is because people aren't playing them on PCs. Of course this is insane, and this comment instills a lot of doubt in their ability to be financially viable.
Wow, I'm glad its hackable. $60 for a phone games on steroids is crazy. People stay shy over $5 games on the mobile market. I don't know where they got that interview from but if its true it does not look good.

EpicPhailure

Well, it's planned to be 100 bucks a unit, which is extremely cheap for a console.

The main focus imo isn't on having your smartphone connected to your TV, but the emphasis on its open source and indie games.

ARTgames

I do know that is what its about as I mentioned in the small summery in the starting post. Its a buzzword compliant system. But I was pointing out what what it is and is capable of in terms of hardware. And the quote was showing the business model to support it which was wasn't really revealing but made me wonder. I did allude that not everything is going to be a $60. Things like "and it will have a touchpad for any games making the trek from mobile or tablet to the TV" is what prompted the ending comment. I know there goal is $100 a system if they can reach that. And that will be good if they do. But I do have my skepticism about this.

Chaos

And rightfully so, ART.  I'm optimistically skeptical. An open source game console could be really awesome.  It could also be really lame, because you're essentially relying on user-generated content, and we know how quality assurance works in that regard...  We'll see.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Yankyal

Quote from: Chaos on July 11, 2012, 04:48:44 PM
And rightfully so, ART.  I'm optimistically skeptical. An open source game console could be really awesome.  It could also be really lame, because you're essentially relying on user-generated content, and we know how quality assurance works in that regard...  We'll see.

Valve has been using its community for content for a while now, and Tf2 is the best free game in existence right now. With profit to be made I think the content will be even better.

Isaiah 13:15-18
Exodus 21:15
Deuteronomy 17:12
Leviticus 20:10

Titan

This seems like it would be really cool if it happened, $100 console that's open source. On the other hand though, I completely agree with what Epic said. I'm one of those people that would personally much rather spend the money on upcoming games, then on a new console like this. But that's just me.
Livin' in a lonely world.

Yankyal

The money ~4 million dollars they received is apparently not enough, so they are going to keep trying to get funding outside Kickstarter.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/7/13/3157140/ouya-faces-challenges

JoEL

Quote from: Yankyal on July 16, 2012, 01:49:06 PM
The money ~4 million dollars they received is apparently not enough, so they are going to keep trying to get funding outside Kickstarter.

4 Million dollars seems like a large amount of money for one person, but this is for the business Kickstarter?
They got a fair amount of backers for the project and I'm impressed on how much they got within a few hours. I'm just wondering what their entire budget was for this. As I was reading the link you posted I was reading some of the comments and this one stood out to me:

what alarms me about Ouya is no one is paying close enough attention to the video?s editing. Watch it again, you never actually see the controller being used and the gameplay in the same shot. The camera is either facing the players, a controller is blocked out by a back, or once they start twiddling with the controller it switches to full screen video shot. The wording used is also very suspect. The creator of Canabalt talks about a port of the game on Android, not Ouya. Nevertheless they cut to a clip full-screen clip of it being booted up and playing smooth as butter while he?s talking.

Scotty

Well at this stage, it's pretty clear they're trying to perfect the controller, and probably lacked a working prototype at the time that they made the video, which was likely done at the very beginning for promotional purposes.  Plus they are asking for money after all to help fund it, so it's not that surprising that they wouldn't have a working version of it to show off.

ARTgames

I was reading from a commenter that the kickstarted was good press that will help get into the pockets of investors who are the ones that really are going to be the ones funding this.

Yankyal

Quote from: JoEL on July 16, 2012, 03:52:49 PM

4 Million dollars seems like a large amount of money for one person, but this is for the business Kickstarter?
They got a fair amount of backers for the project and I'm impressed on how much they got within a few hours. I'm just wondering what their entire budget was for this. As I was reading the link you posted I was reading some of the comments and this one stood out to me:
Their goal was to get $950,000, and instead they got 4 million. They got ~four times the amount they wanted but they are still saying it's not enough.

This is why I think kickstarter is just a place to get scammed. I didn't trust this whole OUYA thing from the beginning.

JoEL

Quote from: Yankyal on July 16, 2012, 06:09:54 PM

Their goal was to get $950,000, and instead they got 4 million. They got ~four times the amount they wanted but they are still saying it's not enough.

This is why I think kickstarter is just a place to get scammed. I didn't trust this whole OUYA thing from the beginning.

By they, I assume you mean kickstarter. They never said it wasn't enough, people are just saying that it's not enough. While I don't know whether or not that it is a scam or not, I see it as more of an investment. There is always risk when investing in a company...so I'm sure people (hopefully) saw that the project could fail.

Yankyal

Quote from: JoEL on July 17, 2012, 09:00:31 AM
Quote from: Yankyal on July 16, 2012, 06:09:54 PM

By they, I assume you mean kickstarter. They never said it wasn't enough, people are just saying that it's not enough. While I don't know whether or not that it is a scam or not, I see it as more of an investment. There is always risk when investing in a company...so I'm sure people (hopefully) saw that the project could fail.
I still sort've hope they actually get the investments they need. If they follow through with their promises it could encourage indie developers to make more games.