News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Started by Meiun, March 20, 2013, 08:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meiun

Anyone else pick this game up for the Wii U/3DS? Really fantastic game in a fantastic series, and there is a great amount of new content and improvements over it's previous iteration (Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii). If anyone is interested in playing online sometime, let me know :)

crozier

Yep, I bought this game for my little brother. He is enjoying it. The beginning is a lot like tri, but I'm sure it'll get a bit more interesting. The new weapons are slick though. Dual blades? Sign me up. Anyway, if I do start playing soon I'm sure I will go down the katana path, cause katanas in tri were really wicked. Tri was a great game in general, and seeing that my family sold it years ago, it will be nice doing some monster hunting. I'm sure this game will eat up many hours XD
But what I am really looking forward on the Wii U is Pikmin 3 and the next Super Smash Bros game. Those will be the stars on the u, methinks. Everything else, other than monster hunter, is likely gonna be so-so.

Chaos111

I plan on buying it for the Wii, but I have never really played any other Monster Hunter games. I played Tri for like 10 minutes...
Life is only the beginning of the story.

T-Rok

Bought it for the Wii U and 3DS. The data transfer feature was a really great idea because now I can also play at work and use that data at home/online. And yet I still haven't been able to play it. Stupid busy days at work.

@crozier: you never saw the dual blades before? Cause I'm positive they existed in either Freedom Unite or Portable 2G. Can't recall which. Mmm and I hope the Switch Axe makes a return.

Scotty

Well cock...  Here I was waiting for Nintendo's downright horrendous Wii U sales to cause a price cut in the console before I bought into it...

Looks like with this I'm going to be dropping full price on the console and getting this game.  I'm already expecting them to cut the price the month following my investment.

Meiun

Quote from: Scotty on March 21, 2013, 01:53:00 AM
Well cock...  Here I was waiting for Nintendo's downright horrendous Wii U sales to cause a price cut in the console before I bought into it...

Looks like with this I'm going to be dropping full price on the console and getting this game.  I'm already expecting them to cut the price the month following my investment.
I really wouldn't be too concerned with a price cut quite yet. The Wii U had a reasonably succesful launch due to a reasonably good launch lineup of games. Now they are in a dry period for new game releases, which makes it no surprise that the current sales are sucking. But they have already announced a massive number of new big name games via numerous Nintendo Direct episodes (including two Zelda games, multiple new mario based games, new smash bros, Pikmin 3, a DLC expansion pack to New Super Mario Bros. U, and a whole ton of other big name games).

They've been down this road before with the 3DS's horrific first year, but as soon as Nintendo got a few good first party games out, the 3DS began it's ongoing process of blowing most other gaming systems out of the water with sales. Though, the 3DS did start off it's success streak with an early price cut as well, so who knows. All I know for certain is that it seems that they have a pretty strong future planned when it comes to the games.

But as far as I'm concerned, Monster Hunter is reason enough to justify getting the system :)

Quote from: T-Rok on March 21, 2013, 01:36:11 AM
Mmm and I hope the Switch Axe makes a return.
The switch axe is indeed in this game, but it was also in the non-ultimate edition for the original Wii :P

venuse

crozier

@T-Rok, neah bro, I have never owned a PSP or (any of the) playstations, so its new to me :D

Scotty

Quote from: Meiun on March 21, 2013, 11:11:02 AM
I really wouldn't be too concerned with a price cut quite yet. The Wii U had a reasonably succesful launch due to a reasonably good launch lineup of games. Now they are in a dry period for new game releases, which makes it no surprise that the current sales are sucking. But they have already announced a massive number of new big name games via numerous Nintendo Direct episodes (including two Zelda games, multiple new mario based games, new smash bros, Pikmin 3, a DLC expansion pack to New Super Mario Bros. U, and a whole ton of other big name games).

I don't want to get too far off topic, but reports are indicating that it's far worse than what you might think.

http://goo.gl/q0NHa

QuoteWhile NPD no longer releases US hardware sales data every month, a representative for the tracking firm told Gamasutra that US sales in the system's first three months were down 38 percent compared to the same period for the Wii. That would mean the Wii U has sold approximately 940,000 units through January in the US.

Combine that with the 890,000 Wii U units Nintendo has said were sold in November and December of 2012, and you get a US sales figure of about 50,000 in January alone. That gels with reports from others sources with access to NPD's internal data, who claim the Wii U sold "well under" 100,000 units for the month.

That's not just a new year's slump?it's historically bad performance for any system, in any month. Since 2005, none of the current generation systems have shown sales numbers that low in a single month. Even during its slow decline last year, the aging Wii managed to sell about 67,000 units in a very weak October. The PS3 bottomed out at about 82,000 units April and May of 2007, while it was still in its early, overpriced days.

http://goo.gl/5oR4u

QuoteThe Wii U?s track record for poorer-than-expected sales grows longer after February, when only 64,000 consoles went off store shelves in the US, according to a report from NPD Group. This is a major shortfall from Nintendo?s sales projections at launch?the company thought it would sell nearly two million units per month worldwide from the beginning of January through the end of March.

That's bad... Like... Real, real bad (they sold 3.2% of what they expected in February, up from 2.5% in January).  I'm convinced the only reason they haven't dropped the price yet is because they're still trying to figure out how to not go in the negative with every unit built since it actually costs more to manufacture each unit than what they sell it for.

Meiun

For those interested (T-Rok most specifically), the data transfer program to transfer data between the Wii U and 3DS is now out for download (and free). There is also a Wii U program that apparently serves as a packet relay station to allow you to play the 3DS version online, when it was otherwise restricted to just local multiplayer modes. The Wii U version ofcourse already has native online play.

Quote from: Scotty on March 21, 2013, 06:43:04 PM
I don't want to get too far off topic, but reports are indicating that it's far worse than what you might think.
Apparently so. But very few people (hardcore Nintendo fans like myself aside) are going to buy a highly expensive system that has had almost zero high profile (let alone many low profile) for about three out of the four-ish months it has been out. So while that is certainly bad news, and damage may already be done, I still think that they can turn it around with the onslaught of new big-name games they have on their way. It certainly shouldn't deter people from picking up Monster Hunter either way :P

Matty_Richo

I'm considering getting this game for Wii U but I must say that the demo was a bit of a let down, the first mission (haven't played the water one yet) seemed really repetitive and a bit tedious. Is the rest of the game similar to this?
If I do end up getting it I would love to set up some online play with you guys, and if anyone has Tekken Wii U I'd love to play some of that with you as well.

Meiun

Quote from: Matty_Richo on March 22, 2013, 07:55:35 AM
I'm considering getting this game for Wii U but I must say that the demo was a bit of a let down, the first mission (haven't played the water one yet) seemed really repetitive and a bit tedious. Is the rest of the game similar to this?
If I do end up getting it I would love to set up some online play with you guys, and if anyone has Tekken Wii U I'd love to play some of that with you as well.
I found the demo's to be a horrible representation of the game as a whole. If I hadn't known anything about the game prior to playing the demo, I wouldn't have been particularly impressed either. It flings you into a random (already pretty much initiated fight), partway into the game. Then, the demo as soon as the monster dies. The game draws a large bit of it's appeal from the immensely satisfying mechanics they have invented for earning everything you have, an aspect (among many others) that wasn't shown at all in the demo. You do spend a lot of your time traversing many of the same areas, and potentially fighting some of the same monsters for missions, but I have never once been bored or felt that sense of senseless repetition that you get in a lot of other games. The full game does start off a bit slower this time than some of the previous games, but I'm guessing that it is just Capcom trying to ease new players into what ends up being a very challenging game. Long story short, it really has many layers of complexity that weren't shown at all in the demo.

Scotty

Quote from: Matty_Richo on March 22, 2013, 07:55:35 AM

I haven't played Ultimate, but I can say that if it even matches the regular Monster Hunter 3, let alone exceeding it, it is well worth the money.  If you don't mind fast-paced combat where you do have to dodge, maneuver, time your attacks, and learn to run (in what I thought was a rather hysterical fashion in 3) when you realize you done gone over your head (which will happen, a lot at first as you get acclimated), this game is for you.  It really does pull you in, and like Meiun said, you earn everything you get in the game.  You're literally gutting your enemies for supplies for the next set of gear.  Very little time is spent trying to grind for currency, when you can just get the materials and make the gear.  It can cause a bit of grind for materials though, but I enjoy the variety of the game's grind.  Just when you think you've mastered this one random monster, he'll stumble into a new area you haven't fought him in yet, and you're in for a whole new fight.

There's very few games that will cause me to go out and buy a console exclusively for that game.  MGS for Sony's Playstation....   Uh.... Nothing for the XBox.... and Monster Hunter for Nintendo.

venuse

woot my copy just came in the mail

edit- tried it for a bit and noticed something right off the bat. when in 2d mode the game uses some form of aa on the top screen which reduces the jaggies but also messes with the white lettering making them hard to read. when you turn on 3d mode the aa is removed. however to get this aa you must have the 3d display option enabled in the game's option menu i believe. if you dont have it enable you wont get aa in 2d mode.

3D on in options, 3D slider on: No AA
3D on in options 3D slider off: AA
3D off in options: No AA

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Scotty on March 21, 2013, 01:53:00 AM

LOL. This was clearly their plan all along. My cousin said the exact same thing and dropped full price also...they know how you monster hunters work!
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php