News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Started by Meiun, March 20, 2013, 08:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Rok

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on March 23, 2013, 10:32:22 AM
Quote from: Scotty on March 21, 2013, 01:53:00 AM
Well cock...  Here I was waiting for Nintendo's downright horrendous Wii U sales to cause a price cut in the console before I bought into it...

Looks like with this I'm going to be dropping full price on the console and getting this game.  I'm already expecting them to cut the price the month following my investment.

LOL. This was clearly their plan all along. My cousin said the exact same thing and dropped full price also...they know how you monster hunters work!

I dunno about that. The monster hunter players to gamers ratio is fairly low in North America. It's why we don't get sexy things like Monster Hunter special editions of PSP/3DS/Wii U or have NA servers/access to Monster Hunter Online. Have you seen how sexy those special edition systems look? And the special edition PSP even had some modified hardware just for Monster Hunter if I recall correctly. It makes me sad that we lack these things.

Scotty

Quote from: T-Rok on March 23, 2013, 12:21:36 PM
Well cock...  Here I was waiting for Nintendo's downright horrendous Wii U sales to cause a price cut in the console before I bought into it...

Looks like with this I'm going to be dropping full price on the console and getting this game.  I'm already expecting them to cut the price the month following my investment.

LOL. This was clearly their plan all along. My cousin said the exact same thing and dropped full price also...they know how you monster hunters work!

I dunno about that. The monster hunter players to gamers ratio is fairly low in North America. It's why we don't get sexy things like Monster Hunter special editions of PSP/3DS/Wii U or have NA servers/access to Monster Hunter Online. Have you seen how sexy those special edition systems look? And the special edition PSP even had some modified hardware just for Monster Hunter if I recall correctly. It makes me sad that we lack these things.

You know, it's unfortunate, because to a certain extent, Monster Hunter has a lot of originality to it.  It's a good casual game, with real time action, and a rewarding loot system, yet no one plays it.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that.  How many comparative games are there on the market in the US that directly compete with Monster Hunter?  Can you think of just one?  I can't, and that, to me, indicates there isn't much of a fan base in America.  We might see some competition down the road, but it isn't coming anytime soon, and that is unfortunate.

crozier

Quote from: Scotty on March 23, 2013, 10:54:36 PM
Quote from: T-Rok on March 23, 2013, 12:21:36 PM

You know, it's unfortunate, because to a certain extent, Monster Hunter has a lot of originality to it.  It's a good casual game, with real time action, and a rewarding loot system, yet no one plays it.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that.  How many comparative games are there on the market in the US that directly compete with Monster Hunter?  Can you think of just one?  I can't, and that, to me, indicates there isn't much of a fan base in America.  We might see some competition down the road, but it isn't coming anytime soon, and that is unfortunate.
*said the person who hasn't bought the game*
;)

Meiun

Yeah, it really upsets me that it isn't more popular over here. It is literaly one of the most popular series there is in Japan (comparable to the popularity level of call of duty *ew* and the other modern big name series). Safe to say im quite dissapointed with your average westerners taste in games :( But on the plus side, the reason they supposedly decided to bring this one to the west in the first place was apparently because Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii did reasonably well here.

venuse

i agree meiun. also monster hunter tri= monster hunter try it :) i think it sold about 2 mill which is pretty dang good for a wii game.

T-Rok

I'm a little disappointed 3U doesn't have the day/night system that was in Tri. That's so far my only complaint.

Meiun

Quote from: T-Rok on March 25, 2013, 05:52:20 PM
I'm a little disappointed 3U doesn't have the day/night system that was in Tri. That's so far my only complaint.
It does last I checked. Thats why it has an abbreviation at the end of the location name in the quest summary i thought? Ill need to double check that one.

crozier

I dunno if every stage has it, but I am 100% sure the desert stage has a day/night cycle.

T-Rok

Not on missions. In Moga Village. It used to affect the forest. And everytime you saved you changed from day to night or night to day and the forest would change instead of having to go on a mission to make a day pass and progress the forest.

11clock

I was considering getting this game, but based on what I have read it's basically just killing the same monsters over and over to get better loot. I'll pass.

This form of gameplay is also the reason why I no longer play MMOs.

Meiun

Quote from: 11clock on November 30, 2013, 02:48:53 PM
I was considering getting this game, but based on what I have read it's basically just killing the same monsters over and over to get better loot. I'll pass.

I hate most MMO's for that exact reason, but Monster Hunter is one of my favorite games. You will fight a lot of the monsters multiple times if you want good gear from them, but the encounters are extremely exciting and rewarding, much more so than most other games in my opinion. Your loss I guess.

Sam|9801

Looks like a good game. I played a demo earlier and it seems interesting. I might get it tonight :D

11clock

Quote from: Meiun on November 30, 2013, 03:25:56 PM

I hate most MMO's for that exact reason, but Monster Hunter is one of my favorite games. You will fight a lot of the monsters multiple times if you want good gear from them, but the encounters are extremely exciting and rewarding, much more so than most other games in my opinion. Your loss I guess.

I have a few more questions about the game before I reconsider it.

Does the game have a progression system with a definite end? I get bored of games that either take too long to get to the end or games that are endless.

Are there boss fights? If so, are they common?

How does combat exactly work?

Meiun

Quote from: 11clock on November 30, 2013, 05:37:33 PM
Quote from: Meiun on November 30, 2013, 03:25:56 PM

I have a few more questions about the game before I reconsider it.

Does the game have a progression system with a definite end? I get bored of games that either take too long to get to the end or games that are endless.

Are there boss fights? If so, are they common?

How does combat exactly work?
The game definitely has a lot of focus on progression. The progression/betterment of your character is almost entirely based around gear (there is no real "leveling"). Most of the gear is obtained through crafting, which is done primarily through the materials gathered from monsters that you slay. So if you kill a big fire breathing dragon, you could potentially make some armor out of his scales (that typically bears some resemblance in looks to the monster it came from). As for an end, I'm sure there is one eventually, but you would need to put a lot of time into it to get there. The game has an absurd amount of content, especially once you start getting deep into it.

Boss fights is pretty much the entire focus of the game. Once you get past the first few hours, they account for the vast majority of what you will spend your time doing. In fact, probably about 90% of the missions you will do will be focused entirely around hunting extremely large and deadly boss monster. These boss fights are what really makes the game great, as they are all very exciting and engaging. Each monster has its own unique behaviors and characteristics, and they all tend to be extremely lively and have good AI.

The combat is all very action based. You have to aim, dodge, block, etc. and actually put a touch of thought into the actions you take. Larger weapons are understandably slow due to their size, so a poorly timed swing might leave you vulnerable. You can't get away with button mashing at all in this game. It typically involves a good bit of skill, and can often be challenging (but equally rewarding).

It is a fairly hardcore game, and certainly not for the faint of heart. But in my experience, those who do enjoy the game tend to enjoy it a whole hell of a lot.

Quote from: Sam|9801 on November 30, 2013, 04:53:41 PM
Looks like a good game. I played a demo earlier and it seems interesting. I might get it tonight :D
If you enjoyed the demo, you should almost certainly enjoy the full game. As it is my opinion that the demo sucked, and gives a pretty horrible first impression of an otherwise awesome game.

Chaos

Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster