News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Started by 11clock, December 04, 2013, 01:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11clock

I believe that most of you here have heard of the new half-remake half-sequel (let's just call it a requel) to Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

I've been playing the game and while I never really got that far in the original A Link to the Past (I only completed the first dungeon), I am loving this requel. I only cleared three dungeons so far and I already say that A Link Between Worlds is my favorite 3DS game so far. In my opinion, it blows Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team right out of the water, with its fast-paced adventuring and dungeon crawling. The new ability to stick to walls is very nice and used in clever ways.

The only thing I really don't know what to think of is the new item system. Instead of finding special items in dungeons, you rent (and can later buy) them from some annoying rabbit who decided to transform your house into a shop without your consent. While I like that you no longer have to get lost in dungeons trying to find that one special item you need to progress, it does get rid of the sense of accomplishment from obtaining these items.

Overall, the game is fantastic and I recommend it to any 3DS owner.

crozier

That good eh? I think I've had my fair share of Link to the Past and don't really wanna start a requel, but is this as good as the other Zelda games? OoT, Majoras Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess were all pretty good, but I haven't really enjoyed the newer Zelda games. Skyward Sword was pretty underwhelming and I couldn't really get into the newer ds titles like Phantom hourglass and spirit tracks. Is a Link Between Worlds as good/fresh as the classics (OoT, MM, Link to the past)?

11clock

Quote from: crozier on December 04, 2013, 04:26:00 PM
That good eh? I think I've had my fair share of Link to the Past and don't really wanna start a requel, but is this as good as the other Zelda games? OoT, Majoras Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess were all pretty good, but I haven't really enjoyed the newer Zelda games. Skyward Sword was pretty underwhelming and I couldn't really get into the newer ds titles like Phantom hourglass and spirit tracks. Is a Link Between Worlds as good/fresh as the classics (OoT, MM, Link to the past)?

I can't really compare this game to the 3D LoZ games, since I'm not really all that fond of them. (Back-side third person controls always feel very awkward for me.) I own Link's Awakening, though, and I can easily say that A Link Between Worlds is better than that game at least.

A Link Between Worlds has a lot of similarities with A Link to the Past, but a lot of major differences as well. They share the same overworld, but with minor differences. The dungeons are all in the same locations, but they are completely redesigned. The bosses appear to be mostly new. Of the four bosses I have fought so far, only one of them was a rehash (although the rehashed boss is vastly improved and a much better fight now). Also, the story is a little different.

I would say that there are enough similarities and differences between A Link to the Past and A Link Between Worlds for the new game to feel both familiar and fresh.

In short, if you like A Link to the Past, you will like A Link Between Worlds.