News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

DEmotivationals

Started by mikkelet, September 08, 2009, 01:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: EpicPhailure on October 18, 2009, 12:13:20 AM
Quote from: Trogdor on October 18, 2009, 12:08:54 AM
Quote from: BraveBro2 on October 17, 2009, 11:56:19 PM
Well, the real problem is the second line.  You cannot arbitrarily multiply the equation by a.  If you were going to multiply the equation by anything with a, you'd have to multiply by 1 (a/a).  You can't just pull a number out of your ass and multiply the equation by it because you feel like it.

Sure you could, as long as you do the exact same thing to one side as you did with the other. That way the equation would still be true. If I had the equation 4 = 4 for example, I could multiply both sides by, say, a smiley face :). That way I'd get 4(:)) = 4(:)), and the equation would still hold to be true.

It works through the Addition Property of Equality.

I believe the problem here is in the 4th line down, where (a+b)(a-b) = b(a-b).
No. The problem is that they made complete bullshit of the last line with 2=1. Cause this whole problem works if both a and b are 0. And just for the on you mentioned:

Assuming both and a and b are 2:

(2+2)(2-2) = 2(2-2)

(4)-(4) = 2 (0)

0 = 0

It still works...the only problems where 0 is the only answer are under that one...check my explanation above for detail.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Cactuscat222

No Mr. Pwnage, the last line works.

They didn't plug in 1 or anything; they divided both sides by a, thus getting 2 = a/a, and that ends up equaling 2 =1.

I'm in calculus this year, but I still can't deduce what is wrong - its something with the way they set it up, I think they did something they couldn't have.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

yottabyte

I partly quit SO. I only come online for updates and events. Have a good day. :)

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Cactuscat222 on October 18, 2009, 03:48:52 AM

They didn't plug in 1 or anything; they divided both sides by a, thus getting 2 = a/a, and that ends up equaling 2 =1.

I'm in calculus this year, but I still can't deduce what is wrong - its something with the way they set it up, I think they did something they couldn't have.
I said it worked...assuming they are both 0.

You realize 2a=a is impossible unless a is 0....right?

And nice pic yottabytye XD.

EDIT: Chaos just explained it to me on msn...I was "SORTA" correct...heh.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

DarkBlade325

God I love that website, yottabyte.

Cactuscat222

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on October 18, 2009, 12:12:37 PM

Yeah - but they didn't plug in any numbers for that line. I'm saying they took '2a = a' and divided both sides by a, thus getting 2 = 1, because anything over itself is 1.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

Titan

Livin' in a lonely world.

Lingus

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on October 18, 2009, 12:12:37 PM

An equation only works if it works for all numbers. You can't say a=b only when they're both 0.

I can't figure out where the problem is with this. I just validated each step and it seems okay. I thought it was with the 4th step too but I just remembered FOIL. It's the reverse of that process (forgot what that's called). I'm sure there's some little thing that I'm not remembering from math that I took 15 years ago...

Hambone

It's really easy. After the problem was factored, they divided both sides by (a-b) a=b therefore (a-b)=0 and they divided by zero, thus cheating the laws of mathematics and comprimising the integrity of their logic.

Lingus

Nice. I believe you are correct on that.

Chaos

DING DING DING!  Hambone gets the prize!   ;D
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

DarkBlade325

Oh come on, had to do it.

NotoriousM4^

DarkBlade325

Red October

Quote from: Hambone on October 19, 2009, 08:23:21 PM
It's really easy. After the problem was factored, they divided both sides by (a-b) a=b therefore (a-b)=0 and they divided by zero, thus cheating the laws of mathematics and comprimising the integrity of their logic.

and one for lulz