News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Failed to Retrieve the Latest Update Info

Started by EpicPhailure, June 28, 2009, 12:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EpicPhailure

Just as the title says, that's the error I've gotten. I have the StickOnline.zip archive thingy, and I've tried to overwrite the files with those ones, but it doesn't make a difference.

I'm not sure if that was what I'm supposed to do ^^'

Danimal

Again my advice for this would be to make sure theres no computer security blocking it, e.g. firewalls etc.

Scotty

Chances are, if you are unsure, and don't see any red flags with any software firewalls you may have installed, the server hosting the update files might be down. 

EpicPhailure

S.O. with older versions worked before with my firewalls down, so I don't believe anything is blocking it.

So there's nothing wrong with the way I did it? Because whenever it updates, the client disappears and I go into the Zip to bring out another one.

Petro

This happened to me a couple times before, and what I found worked in fixing it is opening the SO client and then opening an internet browser immediately after (like before or as the little white Loading screen comes up). I don't know if this will work for you, but it can't hurt trying lol.

EpicPhailure

I'm just going to wait for Meiun to send me the download link again. I've already sent it, so I'll just see if that fixes it.

Rentofrent

I got like 2 PM's That had the S.O Download Link, Im sending it to you on Stick hangout.

And S.O Is working for me now.

EpicPhailure

Not working for me. I tried moving it to the same folder and then replacing them. I'm going to check my firewalls again, just to be sure...

Rentofrent

Try deleting the client you was using before.

Meiun

There is already a topic that is more or less about this same issue (very similar one atleast)... So I will just copy my latest response to that topic here as well.

Often times with update related errors it does end up being some setting on the users computer, security restriction, or issue of that sort. However, the current webhost has been known to occasionaly cause a few issues with the updating.. I may be moving to a better one sometime soon (no promises yet). Either way, make sure that you have fully extracted all the required game files out of the archive before running them. Also, if you have Vista, try right clicking and selecting "Run as administrator". Lastly, if you are using a game client from before the donor server you will likely have to redownload it, in which case you should email me at asking for a copy.

EpicPhailure

I've been trying everything that comes to mind, but so far, I've had nothing.

However, I did find something that could be the problem, or is related to it. My Norton Internet Security that I got as a free trial for this laptop by default. Or at least, I think it's a trial. Since it probably has a firewall as part of the program, that's why I think it's related. The problem is, it refuses to work and says that it's outdated or something. The only solution would be to buy the stupid program. But would the protection work even if the program isn't functioning?

Meiun

Quote from: Epicphail on July 03, 2009, 03:14:48 PM
I've been trying everything that comes to mind, but so far, I've had nothing.

However, I did find something that could be the problem, or is related to it. My Norton Internet Security that I got as a free trial for this laptop by default. Or at least, I think it's a trial. Since it probably has a firewall as part of the program, that's why I think it's related. The problem is, it refuses to work and says that it's outdated or something. The only solution would be to buy the stupid program. But would the protection work even if the program isn't functioning?
I wouldn't be AT ALL surprised if norton had something to do with it. It's pretty much a known fact that Norton is a horendous security program. I can't tell you how many people i've known who have had tons of issues with norton. My advice would be to remove it completely, there are even some free antivirus programs out there that are far better (Avast antivirus for instance).

EpicPhailure

Downloading Avast Home Edition and uninstalling Norton right now.

EpicPhailure

YES! IT F*CKING WORKS!

Thank you very much everybody who offered solutions, especially you Meiun =D

Meiun

Quote from: Epicphail on July 04, 2009, 01:56:41 PM
YES! IT F*CKING WORKS!

Thank you very much everybody who offered solutions, especially you Meiun =D
Glad to hear it! Told you Norton was a piece of crap.