News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Music

Started by Pat, October 03, 2009, 07:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Haven't found this topic yet, surprisingly. So I'm gonna start us off.
Name some of your favourite bands/singers/songs and why!
My top 5:
1. Prodigy:
I like their music it has a nice energy to it. My favourites are definitely their older songs from the 90's, Spitfire, smack my bitch up, poison, breathe etc.
2. Nirvana:
Nice rock band, I like their style. Lithium is my favourite song from them.
3. Panic! at the disco:
Most people argue with this one. I like their style of punk (most people call it emo but I think its punk...)  All of their songs have really long, irrelevant titles and I like them all equally.
4. Fall out boy:
As above... Hard to pick a favourite from them all their songs are good but it's either Sugar we're going down or Take over, Breaks over.
5. Foo Fighters:
I like their style of rock. It's sort of like Nickleback except its good. Everlong is their best song, not opinion, FACT.

So yea I just wanted to know what kind of music you are all into so I can get to know you all a bit better.
Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.

crozier

favorite bands:
The Beatles
The doors
Van Halen
Metalica
Pink Floid
etc. on the classic rock
Yeah I love classic rock, it just suits me more.
Favorite song, if definantly "People are Strange" by the doors.
That song is by far, awesome.

flashmaniac

Metallica
Yellowcard
Disturbed
Rise Against

All good bands, lots of diversity in them. Good to listen to. Favourite song:
"The Day That Never Comes - Metallica"

I listen to alot more but I won't mention here.

Torch

Quote from: crozier on October 03, 2009, 09:20:06 AM
favorite bands:
The Beatles
The doors
Van Halen
Metalica
Pink Floid
etc. on the classic rock
I wouldn't call Metalica classic rock.

My favorites are:
The Who
The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
David Bowie
The Tragically Hip
Jethro Tull
Bullet for my Valentine
Red
Disturbed
Linkin Park (older albums)

EpicPhailure

Rise Against and Muse are the bands that have the most songs on my WMV Playlist.

Muse is full of awesome songs, and Rise Against is very talented as well

crozier

Quote from: Torch on October 03, 2009, 10:29:32 AM
Quote from: crozier on October 03, 2009, 09:20:06 AM
favorite bands:
The Beatles
The doors
Van Halen
Metalica
Pink Floid
etc. on the classic rock
I wouldn't call Metalica classic rock.

yeah but its not completly new.
I still like it.

Scotty

http://www.last.fm/user/sjmiller85/library#p1

It's ordered by how many songs of theirs I've listened to, therefor how much I like them.

Trogdor

1. Equilibrium
I love their style of folk/viking metal, and Helge Stang's vocals are absolutely amazing. They mainly sing about epic German tales, one of which is the funny song Wurzelbert. Rene Berthiaume does a superb job at composing the orchestral parts, as well as playing a mean guitar lead. Some of my favorite songs are Blut im Auge, Wingthors Hammer, and Des Sangers Fluch.

2. Rammstein
Definitely up there as one of my favorite bands. Awesome lyrics delivered by an awesome vocalist, Till Lindemann. Focused on controversial/taboo topics in their songs, such as Keine Lust, Zwitter, and Mein Teil.

3. Megaherz
A rock band that mixes in some industrial techno. I haven't listened to them in awhile, since my MP3 player only holds about 23 songs (All of which are currently Equilibrium.  :P)

4. Eisbrecher
Another great industrial rock band. The lead singer is one of my favorites, although I can't remember his name, but he definitely takes this band to a whole new level. Another band I really need to put back on my MP3.

5. Korpiklaani
A very promising folk metal band. I'm looking forward to their new album "Karkelo", which includes the amazing song Vodka. Despite some of their songs being in English, their music completely makes up for it.
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you light a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Scotty

Quote from: Trogdor on October 03, 2009, 12:43:42 PM
1. Equilibrium
I love their style of folk/viking metal, and Helge Stang's vocals are absolutely amazing. They mainly sing about epic German tales, one of which is the funny song Wurzelbert. Rene Berthiaume does a superb job at composing the orchestral parts, as well as playing a mean guitar lead. Some of my favorite songs are Blut im Auge, Wingthors Hammer, and Des Sangers Fluch.

2. Rammstein
Definitely up there as one of my favorite bands. Awesome lyrics delivered by an awesome vocalist, Till Lindemann. Focused on controversial/taboo topics in their songs, such as Keine Lust, Zwitter, and Mein Teil.

3. Megaherz
A rock band that mixes in some industrial techno. I haven't listened to them in awhile, since my MP3 player only holds about 23 songs (All of which are currently Equilibrium.  :P)

4. Eisbrecher
Another great industrial rock band. The lead singer is one of my favorites, although I can't remember his name, but he definitely takes this band to a whole new level. Another band I really need to put back on my MP3.

5. Korpiklaani
A very promising folk metal band. I'm looking forward to their new album "Karkelo", which includes the amazing song Vodka. Despite some of their songs being in English, their music completely makes up for it.

Do any of those speak English in their songs?  I don't necessarily mean "Well we did Du Hast in German, and now we're going to make an English Translation of it" or anything like that, but do any of them actually produce English spoken music?

Speaking of your attraction to folk metal (I can't help but laugh every time I listen to it) and Viking metal, might I throw out a few bands for you.  I don't really listen to them, because in all honesty, I chuckle the entire way through the songs, so therefor I can't give an accurate good/bad rating on any of them (I'm laughing just thinking of this):  Ensiferum comes to mind, and of course Amon Amarth.  Ensiferum is more of your folk metal, while Amon Amarth is commonly referred to as Viking Metal.  There's several more that I've heard of but can't seem to recall at this moment.  Anyways, any thoughts on those two at least?

Trogdor

Quote from: Scotty on October 03, 2009, 01:13:16 PM
Do any of those speak English in their songs?  I don't necessarily mean "Well we did Du Hast in German, and now we're going to make an English Translation of it" or anything like that, but do any of them actually produce English spoken music?

Speaking of your attraction to folk metal (I can't help but laugh every time I listen to it) and Viking metal, might I throw out a few bands for you.  I don't really listen to them, because in all honesty, I chuckle the entire way through the songs, so therefor I can't give an accurate good/bad rating on any of them (I'm laughing just thinking of this):  Ensiferum comes to mind, and of course Amon Amarth.  Ensiferum is more of your folk metal, while Amon Amarth is commonly referred to as Viking Metal.  There's several more that I've heard of but can't seem to recall at this moment.  Anyways, any thoughts on those two at least?

No, none of them produce any English, unless they're making one to appease to the English speakers, such as Rammstein's "Du Hast", like you mentioned (I believe they also did a song in Spanish, but I can't remember the name.)

Actually, it's funny you should mention Amon Amarth, as I was just listening to them on your last.fm station. To be honest with you, they kick ass. All of the other Black/viking metal bands that I've listened to were poorly composed musically and lyrically (Arafel comes to mind), so I assumed they were all like that. I'm glad I was proven wrong! About Ensiferum, I did awhile back and I never really liked them. I don't know what it is about them, but something is lacking. Anyways, thanks for the new band!  ;)

Scotty

My pleasure!  Amon Amarth's newer album "Twilight of the thunder God" album is amazing.  I was hooked on the first song with theirs.  Other albums that impress are "With Oden on our side" and "Versus the world".  Like every other metal band, especially these thrash / viking metal bands, they start out badly un-produced (Listen to some of their first albums, and you'll understand, if you don't already).  I love it!

Here's the music video to "Twilight of the thunder God" if you haven't listened to it already:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eABVwEgzIss

Might I also recommend to those that have them, post us a link to your Last.fm profiles!

HamsterPants

Kansas is my favorite band, there are some others I like but not important enough to mention.

Trogdor

Quote from: Scotty on October 03, 2009, 01:53:40 PM
My pleasure!  Amon Amarth's newer album "Twilight of the thunder God" album is amazing.  I was hooked on the first song with theirs.  Other albums that impress are "With Oden on our side" and "Versus the world".  Like every other metal band, especially these thrash / viking metal bands, they start out badly un-produced (Listen to some of their first albums, and you'll understand, if you don't already).  I love it!

Here's the music video to "Twilight of the thunder God" if you haven't listened to it already:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eABVwEgzIss

Might I also recommend to those that have them, post us a link to your Last.fm profiles!

My god, that's epic. I've re-fallen in love with metal. I know exactly what you mean by starting out badly un-produced. Equilibrium is exactly like that. Their first album was horrid, the second was better, and their third was amazing.

I'll post a few official music videos of mine as well, since I don't have a Last.fm station.

Blut im Auge (Equilibrium): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yom8nNqmxvQ
Vodka (Korpiklaani): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbcwOHvoZbA

Scotty

Equilibrium has quite the cute bassist.  I'm probably gonna have to do her, lucky me eh?  8)

Quite a... Folkish sound from them.  It clicks, I just wish they spoke English.  That sound honestly reminds me of Kalmah.  Ever hear of them?  I honestly don't know what to think of them, because they do have a few singles that I enjoy, but I could never listen to an entire album of theirs the entire way through.  Here's two or three of my favorites of theirs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33U3bGZOcX8&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jmj_ochRjk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBCw6Hy4B3o
(sorry, no actual music videos worth mentioning)

I think the reason I wasn't so attracted to their earlier albums (Newer one is actually good), is that it was just a mix of un-produced and "all over the place" with their songs, it was kinda hard to get them to click.  Once the screeching singing moved more towards a growl, it seems as though they got their act together.  The third video above is off of their latest album.  THe other reason why I think I like them is because they have almost a sort of neo-classical guitar to it.  I dunno, take from it what you will.

Oh, and get yourself a Last.fm profile Trogdor, it's free, and it's everything I would want from a social network.  I'm a paid subscriber because it's cheap and I get a lot of extra nifty little features, but you don't have to pay the cheap 2 or 3 clams a month to subscribe if you don't want to.

LeGuy

I'm probably the only person in this entire forum that likes Jazz. I also like some rock, (particularly classic rock) though the variety that mainly includes screaming people informing me of their disinclination to society in general doesn't quite appeal to me. A little joke between me and my friends is my obsession with Carrie Underwood, who is a country singer. While I like very little country music, I do like some of her songs. I am also the kind of person who can listen to video game loops for hours on end, particularly the pieces by Wateflame, a Newgrounds music artist. I like to listen to his stuff while programming games to inspire me. However, thankfully, I have no video game music on my iPod.

And Weird Al Yankovic. I love Weird Al. Say what you want about him, (and he does have some bad songs) but you have to admit he's a very talented musician and can turn almost anything into a parody.

Whee!