News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

sprite making

Started by swordmaster, October 06, 2009, 06:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swordmaster

i really did not know what category to put this in but i put it in this one because i am asking how to create sprites and if you need a new computer to do it i have a vista will that work
IGN:iCup

EpicPhailure

You don't need anything but a graphics program to sprite. Even MSPaint works, and it's one of the highest ranking spriting programs up there. For actual spriting, talk to Chaos, Venuse, Delicious. There are several talented spriters as well, such as Mr. Pwnage and Ceroblitz.

Pat

I think Notor uses paint and his sprites turn out real nice.
Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.

ARTgames

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spriting
Common programs

* Microsoft Paint is included in Microsoft Windows. It lacks many advanced features, but basic graphic editing is very mature and suitable for pixel by pixel editing.

Programs designed for sprite editing

* GraphicsGale, for Windows, has both freeware and ?1995 (roughly $20) shareware versions, and has features designed for animation and cursor creation.
   * Pro Motion is available for Windows, and costs $78. It is often used by professionals, and offers many animation features, and features tailored to producing art for the Game Boy Advance, or Mobile Phones.
   * Pixen is free, open-source, and available for Mac OS X. It offers many tools tailored to sprite creation and animation.

Major image editors

* The GIMP is a free, open-source image editor, available for all major platforms. The GIMP-GAP plugin greatly enhances its animation capabilities.
   * Adobe Photoshop is a commercial image editor available for Windows and Mac OS X. In order to make a sprite in this program, users mostly have to use the pencil tool.
   * Paint.NET, built with the .NET framework, is open-source freeware capable of similar functionality as Adobe Photoshop and a number of professional tools.
   * GrafX2 is an open-source picture editor very similar to Deluxe Paint and others from 80's and 90's.

Its amazing what you get on google if you just google "spriting programs".

Btw i use Paint.net for anything that hast to do with images. Best free alternative to macromedia apps on windows IMO.

Delicious

Hey there.
I'm unsure were you had got the idea of you not being able to create sprites with Vista or any other computer for that matter. I believe that even Windows 93 or below could allow you to sprite.. The thing is, what type of spriting do you plan on taking forth? Pixel or vector? Promotion 6 as well as Graphics Gale offer the best and perhaps most comfortable way to sprite for pixel work, though it does come out more complex then using Microsoft Paint, obviously.
I believe that vista holds Mspaint, if so hit the start button > run > MSpaint and the program should pop up. It is definitly not the greatest program as it doesn't allow you to do most of which Graphics Gale or Promotion does grant, but it's free and suggested for begginers.  :)
Edit - This will also fit much better in the off-topic catagory, but oh well.
<3

Chaos

I highly recommend you use MS Paint if you're just starting out BECAUSE it does not have any advanced features.  I'm of the opinion, if you want to learn, doing everything manually is the best way to get a feel for how to make sprites look the way you want.  Once you're experienced, then you can move on to more advanced programs that will help automate some of the more monotonous work.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

crozier

I myself prefer gm's paint.
I like it and have always liked it.
For pixeling you dont really need fancy programs.

ZaC

I'm not very good in the graphics area but GIMP is excellent and it's free and has a very easy to use GUI ;)

~ZaC~
Zac's Web Development, if your interested PM me - cheap prices !!

NotoriousM4^

Quote from: Pat on October 06, 2009, 08:31:20 PM
I think Notor uses paint and his sprites turn out real nice.
Yeah, I do use MsPaint, and a occasionally a combo of Adobe Fireworks CS3 (for minor touch ups).

However, Originally most spriting was actually done by hand. Then later on transferred or used as a reference to help recreate the image on the computer.