News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Some sections shouldn't add to post count...

Started by Mr Pwnage, October 22, 2009, 09:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cactuscat222

Quote from: NotoriousM4^ on October 29, 2009, 03:56:09 PM
Quote from: Lingus on October 29, 2009, 01:24:50 PM
I don't think anyone wants it to be reset back to the old Karma system. I think the only real change that should be done is to remove post count from affecting reputation. Alternatively, as suggested, remove certain sections from adding post count.
OR... We could all just get used to the one we have now.

But then its not a reputation system - its a second post count, depending on whether or not you play Forum Games. There is no getting used it, because its not working correctly.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

Hambone

I still fail to see the importance of post count OR reputation. I can honestly say I have never looked at someone's post count and said to myself, "Wow, they're really cool and respected. I should model my forum posts after them". Same goes for reputation. In my opinion, the only system that needs changing is the reasons you guys respect one another. Try actually reading what people say, respect them for their personality. A post count is just a number. Not a pressing matter.

Cactuscat222

Quote from: Hambone on October 29, 2009, 09:57:47 PM
I still fail to see the importance of post count OR reputation. I can honestly say I have never looked at someone's post count and said to myself, "Wow, they're really cool and respected. I should model my forum posts after them". Same goes for reputation. In my opinion, the only system that needs changing is the reasons you guys respect one another. Try actually reading what people say, respect them for their personality. A post count is just a number. Not a pressing matter.

I don't mean to be a prick - but what you just said there was pretty much a jerk move.

1) No one here said anything about how they respect someone based on post count - if anything, they said it was ridiculous, as that is how the current system is... the more posts, the more reputation, and thus, according to the system, the better "poster" you are.

2) If the system is in place, as it has been said many times, it should work like it is supposed to.

The reputation is in place so that people can get a basic idea of how well that person is at posting and/or respected in the current community (this is especially for new people). I should also say, reputation and personality are two VERY different things; you can respect a person for whatever reason you want, be it they have a high reputation, or just because they act cool or smug.

3) Are you really assuming we don't read people's posts and make our own conclusions?

Finally, the way you interpret the system isn't the same way everyone else does... That is more important than anything else. If you don't like it, then don't bother with it - but for those who do, we might as well fix it.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

Lingus

Quote from: Torch on October 29, 2009, 04:24:26 PM
Quote from: Lingus on October 29, 2009, 01:24:50 PM
I don't think anyone wants it to be reset back to the old Karma system. I think the only real change that should be done is to remove post count from affecting reputation. Alternatively, as suggested, remove certain sections from adding post count.
You're ignoring the suggestion about switching to the HangOut's karma system.
How is that different from removing post count from affecting Rep? As far as I'm aware it would be nearly identical. Though I would find it more effective than the HO Karma system. Since your Rep power changes how much you can effect other people's reputation points, it seems better to me.

Meiun

There. Posts made in the "Forum Games" section no longer adds to your post count.

Aqua

Hmmm, I think that they no longer add. But the posts made in that section prior to the change still count- I highly doubt that 11clock has 1000 posts with none in Forum Games.
~Aqua

Torch

Quote from: Aqua on November 02, 2009, 05:24:44 PM
Hmmm, I think that they no longer add. But the posts made in that section prior to the change still count- I highly doubt that 11clock has 1000 posts with none in Forum Games.
~Aqua
I don't think there is any way to fix that other than to completely reset post count.

Lingus

Whatever, I'm happy. It'll balance out eventually. Some people just got a head start.

Cactuscat222

Quote from: Lingus on November 02, 2009, 09:03:59 PM
Whatever, I'm happy. It'll balance out eventually. Some people just got a head start.

Agreed - though, they got a HUGE head start, it'll take time before anyone catches up. >.>

Red October

Quote from: Cactuscat222 on November 02, 2009, 11:44:31 PM

Agreed - though, they got a HUGE head start, it'll take time before anyone catches up. >.>

Start repping each other.

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Red October on November 02, 2009, 11:53:21 PM

Or...we could de-rep 11clock and mystery back to about what they should be at....if they both agree. ;)
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Mystery

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on November 03, 2009, 01:27:53 AM

Or...we could de-rep 11clock and mystery back to about what they should be at....if they both agree. ;)
While that may seem like a good idea in hindsight, it wouldn't work. At ALL. It would take WAY too long to level it back. Plus, you have to remember, it's not just us two. Several others have heightened rep that's way too high as well. Like Torch said, the only real solution is a mass reset of both posts and rep(or scrapping the system). But I'm sure that wouldn't fly for some people either... >_>

EDIT: Oh, and I would kinda mind having crap tons of de-reps every day. That would make our +reps nearly invisible and worthless to some people and new members.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Aqua

Flies for me. At any rate, Mystery had many posts outside of Forum Games, as 11clock didn't (no offense).
Better for all to be even at 0 than few to be ahead at 1000.
~Aqua

Torch

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Mystery on November 03, 2009, 04:36:16 PM
Quote from: Mr Pwnage on November 03, 2009, 01:27:53 AM

While that may seem like a good idea in hindsight, it wouldn't work. At ALL. It would take WAY too long to level it back. Plus, you have to remember, it's not just us two. Several others have heightened rep that's way too high as well. Like Torch said, the only real solution is a mass reset of both posts and rep(or scrapping the system). But I'm sure that wouldn't fly for some people either... >_>

EDIT: Oh, and I would kinda mind having crap tons of de-reps every day. That would make our +reps nearly invisible and worthless to some people and new members.

Was kidding when I said that. (Please don't de-rep them, lol)

I actually think it would be a good idea to just reset everybody's karma to 0, after perfecting the system to how people think it should operate, and take it from there. A fresh start never hurt anybody.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php