News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

mmo on consoles

Started by ARTgames, October 29, 2009, 05:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARTgames

I think it would be a good idea to make a mmo on a console. Technical limitations is no longer a problem do to how most consoles have hard drives and some kind of networking. There has been a vary little mmo's on consoles but i don't think any of them were really fair tries.

Why i would like this is because to start consoles are easier to use. And consoles are more of a sit back experience making it more conformable to play them for longer times. And mmos are games you can spend a lot of time on.

The only downside i can think of is that like all games on a consoles your limited by the hardware.

Would you like to see a mmo on consoles?

yottabyte

Well it would be fun to see one, but playing a mmo on a DS for hours... not that healthy.

I partly quit SO. I only come online for updates and events. Have a good day. :)

Chaos

Final Fantasy 11 WAS on 360, PS2, and PC, and all system were connected to the same server so they could all play with one another.

Dunno why other companies haven't done it, honestly.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Scotty

Sales on FFXI I think dictated why.  The way I see it, why bother?  The problem is that the console isn't nearly as easy to work with than a computer.  Think about all the extra peripherals that get involved.  Sure, some may prefer the controller, but you'd have to switch between that and your keyboard in order to control the character.  Add in an option mouse maybe, or a headset for voice chat, etc...

Personally, I would like to see more, I agree with all of you, I just don't see it happening when people are so used to sitting in front of their keyboard.

By the way, has it been determined if FFXIII will be on console as well when it comes out?

ARTgames

yup! they also had a anime looking game on the 360 that was also a mmo.

But in the case of FF11 they did not have that much info in the media (in the us of a) and also it took like years to get to the us and by then not many people cared any more.

And no one can forget the Phantasy Star Online for Dreamcast. Then later made for the game cube. I think it was the only online game for the game cube.

EverQuest Online Adventures for the ps2...

But non the less there only a small handful of these games and i dont think any of them really are even online any more. And never were really advertised like your big box fps's.

I think this is the last big gender for gaming that has not been explored by consoles vary well. PC has the upper hand here.

@Scotty

I agree. If a mmo comes to the couch it needs to be remade. No way wow or anything else will fit on the controller. 

QuoteThe problem is that the console isn't nearly as easy to work with than a computer. 
0_o...  what do you mean by that? i think you have been around too many computer savvy people.

JoEL

Wouldn't the question be...
Could consoles handle a MMO? -- What would happen if we had 40 or so people standing in the same area...would this cause lots of fps or connection lag?

They would need deticated servers for the MMO, most console games I know only have like a lobby server and the games are hosted by the players.

Chaos

Quote from: JoEL on October 30, 2009, 12:06:52 AM
Could consoles handle a MMO?

Yes.  It's been done before.

Keep in mind that lag is a product of internet connection.  The hardware is irrelevant.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

ARTgames

Quote from: JoEL on October 30, 2009, 12:06:52 AM
Could consoles handle a MMO? -- What would happen if we had 40 or so people standing in the same area...would this cause lots of fps or connection lag?

If they got mmo's woking on a ps2 they sure can get it working on todays systme just fine. As i said Technical limitations is no longer a problem. It might not look like it but mmo are really not that resocre intensive as you think. It sure not as mutch killer as one of todays FPSs.

QuoteThey would need deticated servers for the MMO, most console games I know only have like a lobby server and the games are hosted by the players.

This is not a problem. As i said there no Technical limitations. I have played and there has been mmos on console.

So no my question is still would you like to play a mmo on a console?

Edit: chaos got to i first.

Pat

"Can consoles handle a MMO?"
I really don't know why you would even think that it couldn't. Its basically a game build computer, with network capabilities. Networking (whether it be simple chat to a full on mmo) is just sending packets to and from a server. Therefore I believe 100% that it is possible and we may be seeing it happen in the near future. My question is why don't all games have it so PC users, Xbox 360 users and Playstation 3 users can play together? I think Shadow Run you could play with players that are using a Xbox when you are using a Playstation, there is no reason I can see why this doesn't happen.

Also @JoEL: MAG!
Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.

JoEL

I don't know...it'd all depend on the graphics of the game and the cpu needed to play it. I'm pretty sure there is a limit to what the xbox / playstation 3 can process and do. I would assume having 100+ people standing in the same area would take much more cpu and will lag your internet connection. Now obviously this would more then likely happen on a computer MMO as well...but of course, I think a MMO on a console would be more popular.

Also it might be cost, the cost to run all these servers....that's why alot of MMO's charge monthly and so on...but theres no xbox / playstation 3 game I can think of that makes you pay monthly (not including the xbox live fee, which I doubt the game companies receive any money from that).

Would I like to see an MMO on a console? sure, as long as I don't need to pay monthly like other MMO's.

stick d00d

i would love to play an mmo on my ps3, but as joel said, only if there were no monthly fee for it.. i think it is likely that there may be mmo's made in the near future.. the only downfall is when i think of mmo's i think mouse and keyboard, and i would find it annoying to put down your controller each time to use a keyboard.. and i would definitely want a keyboard to chat i hate typing with the controller

LeGuy

Stick Online on the DS would be epic.

The interface would probably work pretty well too...

DPad - Movement, Ducking
A - Jump
B - Attack
X - Inventory
Y - Stats

Top Screen - Gameplay
Bottom Screen - Keyboard for Chat, Inventory, Stats, HUD

Touch screen for inventory selection, typing, and so on.

But, of course, this would never happen. Cool idea, though...
Whee!

Cactuscat222

Quote from: LeGuy on November 02, 2009, 07:19:07 PM
Stick Online on the DS would be epic.

The interface would probably work pretty well too...

DPad - Movement, Ducking
A - Jump
B - Attack
X - Inventory
Y - Stats

Top Screen - Gameplay
Bottom Screen - Keyboard for Chat, Inventory, Stats, HUD

Touch screen for inventory selection, typing, and so on.

But, of course, this would never happen. Cool idea, though...

That dream is actually quite easy to realize. ;)

Ravaged Lands (another little GM MMO) has a photo of them running it on there.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

ARTgames

Quote from: JoEL on November 02, 2009, 08:26:34 AM
Also it might be cost, the cost to run all these servers....that's why alot of MMO's charge monthly and so on...but theres no xbox / playstation 3 game I can think of that makes you pay monthly (not including the xbox live fee, which I doubt the game companies receive any money from that).

Would I like to see an MMO on a console? sure, as long as I don't need to pay monthly like other MMO's.

well serve cost is also not a problem. 
http://www.ijji.com/
http://www.nexon.net/
http://trickster.ntreev.net/
http://www.stick-online.com/boards/index.php? (well it will be :P)
have free to play mmo's (and there's a lot more).

Non the less to play the game you need to buy the game. And like chaos and i said before this they have done it before.

also look as Pat said look at mag. And a ps3 or xbox is as powerful as most mmo's need to a comparable pc. Then need to have low system requirements so more people can play.

And even with all that said whats wrong with play for play? Wow got over 10mill of people for pay.

Lingus