News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Modern Warfare 2

Started by Torch, November 10, 2009, 09:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeGuy

Quote from: Torch on November 12, 2009, 08:20:49 AM
Quote from: LeGuy on November 12, 2009, 12:31:19 AM
Haha. Torch, we totally need to do some Team Deathmatch together and polish off my rusty multiplayer skills.
Indeed we do. DO i have you on PSN? My K/D ratio is hovering at 1.50.

Yep, sure do. You're InfernoJebus with the weird elephant avatar.
Whee!

Jake

Quote from: ARTgames on November 11, 2009, 07:25:27 PM
The problem with that statement is thats how it was in all the other call of duty games and people on the pc liked it. And there was always servers with less people if you did not like it. Eather way they should have made matchmaking a choice.

Non the less that was not the only point to having Dedicated servers. There more to it than a to have a lot of people.
I'm not disagreeing with that statement. I'm saying the backlash that the PC version of the game is getting is immature and uncalled for, even if IW did mess up.

Cactuscat222

Quote from: Jake on November 12, 2009, 01:04:59 PM
The problem with that statement is thats how it was in all the other call of duty games and people on the pc liked it. And there was always servers with less people if you did not like it. Eather way they should have made matchmaking a choice.

Non the less that was not the only point to having Dedicated servers. There more to it than a to have a lot of people.
I'm not disagreeing with that statement. I'm saying the backlash that the PC version of the game is getting is immature and uncalled for, even if IW did mess up.

I'd say its more warranted than those dang L4D2 "boy cotters", who we all know will be buying the game shortly after release anyways.

But I'd have to say that is a major turn off for me, and as such I probably won't be getting MW2 anytime soon; though, mainly just because I have never been that interested or had that much fun with CoD4.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

ARTgames

Quote from: Jake on November 12, 2009, 01:04:59 PM

Jake i think no matter what happens the Internet will react in that way. There always thousands of people saying the most hateful thing when something does something just a little wrong. Spore got a ton of one and two stare ratings on amazon just because of its DRM. Yeah that "is immature and uncalled for" but that always seems to happen on the Internet.

::::

But what i would really like to know is is the ranking system the same as it was in COD4?

I liked that system. Kind of gave me a rpg feeling like every kill counts towards something even after the game. I also liked the stats. It was fun having an account for a while and going back and seeing what you have done. Like head shots and knifes etc.

To people on the console it seems like this game is cod4 but just better. Does that also seem true to you all?

Scotty

If all it is, is PC players whining because their game is now no more advantageous to play than a PS3 player, than I say boohoo.  That's what it is looking like.  It looks like they watered down the PC's capabilities so that it is on par in capability as the console versions of the game.  Being that I was likely going to pick it up for the PS3 anyways, I laugh at all the whining PC players (most likely the majority of the player base).

Lingus

Kind of dumb to REMOVE a capability just because some platforms can't handle them. And even if it is a feature they would have had to add, they had to modify the game in some form to work on the PC, why not allow it dedicated servers. I don't see that as being all that difficult since most games of its type has it.

I'm not saying it's right to whine and complain, and especially give low scores to an otherwise good game (if that is the case), I'm just saying I understand it.

What it all comes down to in the end is that the company is trying to drive, or at least not deter, more sales to console games. Since there is a specific company behind the sales of console games (Sony and/or Microsoft) I imagine it is in their benefit to sell their games on those platforms, whereas for a PC they might be able to sell more cheaply, but the benefit is not there since there is no specific company profitting from those sales. It's the same reason why games that could easily be made for PC are exclusive to consoles.

ARTgames

I would like it if we steer away from PC vs console and more back onto the game. We can leave that to another topic.

Now with my question about online ranking up there i would like to add onto it.

From what i remember in the older call of duty games non of them were true 16:9 but was 4:3 stretch out because they did not want it to make it unfair for the people with 4:9 screens.

Does it still look like there doing that in COD:MW2?

Torch

Quote from: Lingus on November 12, 2009, 07:14:32 PM
Kind of dumb to REMOVE a capability just because some platforms can't handle them. And even if it is a feature they would have had to add, they had to modify the game in some form to work on the PC, why not allow it dedicated servers. I don't see that as being all that difficult since most games of its type has it.

I'm not saying it's right to whine and complain, and especially give low scores to an otherwise good game (if that is the case), I'm just saying I understand it.

What it all comes down to in the end is that the company is trying to drive, or at least not deter, more sales to console games. Since there is a specific company behind the sales of console games (Sony and/or Microsoft) I imagine it is in their benefit to sell their games on those platforms, whereas for a PC they might be able to sell more cheaply, but the benefit is not there since there is no specific company profitting from those sales. It's the same reason why games that could easily be made for PC are exclusive to consoles.
Dedicated servers and mod support hinder IW's ability to sell their DLC to PC gamers.

ARTgames

Quote from: Torch on November 12, 2009, 09:35:35 PM
Dedicated servers and mod support hinder IW's ability to sell their DLC to PC gamers.

how?

The worst thing they can do is make a mod map close to there map. But in no way i can see how dedicated servers hinder there ability to sell the game maps other than sponsor them like they did in the past.

I really think they did this for the reasons Lingus said.

Torch

Quote from: ARTgames on November 12, 2009, 09:48:42 PM
Quote from: Torch on November 12, 2009, 09:35:35 PM

how?

The worst thing they can do is make a mod map close to there map. But in no way i can see how dedicated servers hinder there ability to sell the game maps other than sponsor them like they did in the past.

I really think they did this for the reasons Lingus said.
If people are able to make and play their own maps for free, why buy the maps that IW makes? As well, mods usually add more than just a new map, some even change the game completely. The avid PC gamer wouldn't buy the DLC. Also, dedicated servers allow people with pirated copies to avoid playing through IWnet.

ARTgames

Quote from: Torch on November 12, 2009, 11:45:02 PM
If people are able to make and play their own maps for free, why buy the maps that IW makes? As well, mods usually add more than just a new map, some even change the game completely. The avid PC gamer wouldn't buy the DLC.

Well no offence to modders but i don't think there work degrades the the value to DLC. Looking at fallout 3 for example. You can mod it and they still sell DLC on PC. They keep putting them out on PC so they must be making something out of it.

QuoteAlso, dedicated servers allow people with pirated copies to avoid playing through IWnet.
You did not say that. you said "Dedicated servers and mod support hinder IW's ability to sell their DLC to PC gamers." Now your saying "dedicated servers allow people with pirated copies to avoid playing through IWnet.".

Now we are moving away from them selling there DLC and them trying to make a DRM. Which is also something that's not good on the PC side of gaming. Pirates already worked around that and consumers are in the dust.  I'm not saying all DRM is bad its just there needs to be a better way to do this. Non the less non of this makes a difference telling you this. You don't make the game. But i just want people to know how the PC people feel. With all this said you can see they are trying to turn the PC into a console. Which its not.

This all supports lings idea of they really rather you buy the on the ps3 or xbox. They are purity much trying to kill all the strong points they had on the PC making it more and more pointless to buy it on PC because they think it will make the more money.

any ways i would really like it if some one who played the game to look at my questions i asked in the past post.

Scotty

Just bought the game and played through single player in one sitting.  While it was rather short, it was one of the most intense 6 hours I've spent playing a game.  A bit of a let down, but it was nice!

Now to kick squeaky kid's asses in Multi-player!

Torch

Level 45, KDR of 1.72, total play time of 16 hours. This is by far and without a doubt the best game ever made. I'm unhealthily addicted to it.

Mystery

Quote from: Torch on November 15, 2009, 11:01:11 AM
Level 45, KDR of 1.72, total play time of 16 hours. This is by far and without a doubt the best game ever made.
I VERY highly doubt that, although it is a good game, by all means. While I don't own it, go over to my friend's house somewhat often with some of my buddies to play it. Of course, the best part of these games are always Multiplayer.  ;)
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Mr Pwnage

I have it for PC...and I love it...no problems. Both Multiplayer and Single player. The game is just fantastic. The graphics might even be better than Crysis. I've had no problems with multiplayer, but granted I have an amazing connection speed...so I can't relate to people complaining.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php