News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

A day to express our gratitude for everything we take for granted.

Started by Scotty, November 26, 2009, 06:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

Quote from: Cactuscat222 on November 26, 2009, 10:09:46 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong - I wasn't trying to say he should thank God, especially one he doesn't believe in.

I was angry that he was basically attacking my resolve to thank God on Thanksgiving, and saying how purposeless it was; I was just informing him why it is important, and how it fits in for those of us with beliefs.

I lost respect for him when he decided he didn't need to thank anyone at all - because it wasn't made for him directly.
That makes much more sense.

In Torch's mind, religion is completely and fundamentally wrong. In fact, he knows this without a doubt in his head. Therefore, thanking a God for something which you have worked for is just plain silly. He shuts down the possibilities of there being a God (whether or not he wants to admit it), and therefore does not understand the mindset of someone who does believe in a God, which ultimately limits his thinking.

Torch

@Cactuscat: Jake is correct in saying that I don't see things from the mindset of a religious person. In fact, I said in my previous post that my opinion was biased. From my point of view, even when believing in god, it seemed silly to thank god for something that it appeared had nothing to do with god. I now see that your view is that because god created everything, he is ultimately responsible for all these things that you thank him for.

For non-religious people, I hold my opinion. Google defines thanks as "with the help of or owing to". If you don't believe in god, who do you have to thank but yourself for the turkey that you bought? If someone does you a favor, you generally thank them at the time of them doing you a favor. Having a day to thank everyone over again is completely unnecessary.

@Jake: I also am glad that the Italians invented pizza, however, I don't think that it's necessary to thank them. I've already said why, and it looks like most of the people posting in this topic have contradicting viewpoints. This is an opinion and can't be argued either way. It also doesn't have a whole lot to do with thanksgiving, since you probably won't be seeing whoever invented pizza or personal computers any time today. Your thanking them is useless.

@Notorious: If by rape, you mean posted an opinion different from your own and caused people to re-think what thanksgiving means to them then yes, I did "rape" this topic. The whole point of a forum board is to have discussions and a bunch of people all in agreement about how awesome thanksgiving is doesn't make for good discussion. If you don't like discussions, maybe you shouldn't be using a forum board.

Chaos

Dislodge the stick from your arse, before I forcefully remove it for you.

Seriously, this is a nice topic wishing people a happy holiday centered around being thankful for what you have.  Torch, if anything else, be thankful I can't !@#$ing throat-punch you through TCP/IP right now.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Scotty

Quote from: Torch on November 26, 2009, 10:48:49 PM@Notorious: If by rape, you mean posted an opinion different from your own and caused people to re-think what thanksgiving means to them then yes, I did "rape" this topic. The whole point of a forum board is to have discussions and a bunch of people all in agreement about how awesome thanksgiving is doesn't make for good discussion. If you don't like discussions, maybe you shouldn't be using a forum board.

You say this after accusing Americans of celebrating a "lame" holiday in your first post of this topic.  You are antagonizing people in a harmless topic that is meant to put a smile on people's faces.  Quit being a F'ing dick, you are raping this topic with clear intent to disturb the peace.  Mature a little, you're annoying, and are acting like a prepubescent puke.

If not thankful, be grateful for everything you have then.  If you say you are grateful for having a roof over your head and a computer to tell us your views, then I say you are one selfish individual, I won't even go into how good we all have it, because yes, I HAVE seen what it is like to not have what you all take for granted.

Torch

Seems I've caused quite a commotion.

No worries. I'll leave this topic alone now.

LeGuy

I think that regardless of whether or not you believe God has anything to do with it or not, it's nice to take a day a year to merely acknowledge how good you've got things.

Furthermore, I had an excellent Thanksgiving. Mmm... Pumpkin pie...
Whee!

Scotty

Quote from: LeGuy on November 27, 2009, 12:37:53 AM
Furthermore, I had an excellent Thanksgiving. Mmm... Pumpkin pie...

I agree.  I've stuffed my face with more turkey than one human should consume.  Delicious!

Delicious

Delicious!
You called?  ;)

Anyways, I'm glad you guys had a swell thanksgiving. I wish I could have those lovely turkey dinners, mashpatatos, gravey, ham, stuffing and pumpkin pie everyday. Yum, my mouth is just watering right now.
<3

JoEL

Who are you supposed to thank? (Serious question) Thank yourself because you earned all of those things you listed.

Delicious

I truely don't believe you thank anyone for anything on thanksgiving. Instead, you are appreciative for what you have, which does not refer you to giving thanks. Basically, you just take the day to think how fortunite you are to have what you have, even if you earned it yourself.  ;)
<3

Josh

Lol My parents never new it was thanksgiving so no turkey for meh?
Anyways lol Hope you all had a good time ;)

DarkTrinity

Being thankful for what you have doesn't mean you literally have to go around and thank people, granted it would be a nice thing to do...
And quite honestly, I'm thankful for everything I have, friends, family, boyfriend, clothes, money, a roof over my head, a warm bed to sleep in, food to fill my tummy, clean water to drink, hot water to shower in, my computer, my music, and tons more.
And at my boyfriend's dad's recent passing, I'm beyond thankful that my own parents are still in my life and don't have to go through all the bullshit he's been through, and I'm thankful that Ive been able to help him through it all.

And of course, I'm thankful for Scotty, since he's my hero and all ;P

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and stuffed your faces with loads of turkey. :)

Mr Pwnage

I should have you all know...I cooked my delicious turkey on the "flame war" we just had here. (Not really but for context purposes.) :p My thanksgiving was awesome though. Food couldn't have been better, video games (and by that I meant modern warfare 2 party w/ friends), and backyard football game...always fun when there's no homework on top of that. Only thing I have to complain about is my highschool just lost our play-off football game 20-27...our QB threw 5 intercepts...and we fumbled it 3 times...the referees sucked...jeeze, it just makes me want to cry. But great thanksgiving...I am thankful for all of you...except DT...because my thanks cannot describe my gratitude for that angle of a being. Anywayz...laterz.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Titan

Quote from: DarkTrinity on November 28, 2009, 08:03:07 PM
Being thankful for what you have doesn't mean you literally have to go around and thank people, granted it would be a nice thing to do...
And quite honestly, I'm thankful for everything I have, friends, family, boyfriend, clothes, money, a roof over my head, a warm bed to sleep in, food to fill my tummy, clean water to drink, hot water to shower in, my computer, my music, and tons more.
And at my boyfriend's dad's recent passing, I'm beyond thankful that my own parents are still in my life and don't have to go through all the bullshit he's been through, and I'm thankful that Ive been able to help him through it all.

And of course, I'm thankful for Scotty, since he's my hero and all ;P

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and stuffed your faces with loads of turkey. :)

Scotty was my hero first. ::)

But yeah my thanksgiving was awesome. We had leftovers the day after and yet more leftovers today.
Had some awesome pie and stuff. Glad to hear all you guys had a great thanksgiving.

And @ the whole who to thank thing?

I'm just thankful for having a great family to share the meal with and spend some time together, especialy since my dad is being delpoyed to afganistan in 2 weeks or so.
Livin' in a lonely world.

DarkTrinity