News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Warning Fake S.O3 E-Mail

Started by Danimal, November 29, 2009, 01:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EpicPhailure

Quote from: Delicious on November 29, 2009, 07:40:00 PM
This is illegal, as well all know, and I'm wondering if it's even possible to press charges on these kinds of criminals? I mean, if we knew who it was do they get away with doing something this rediculious? I'm guessing it's highly uncommon that one will actually go through the trouble of getting this young lad a charge, but there has to be a punishment that does not only relate with getting banned from the Stick-online game and community since this is far more than trying to get an unfair advantage... This immature little tard wants to harm the members in some way or another. Not saying any of us would actually do this, but has there even been any cases where administrators or members who were victomized actually took legal action against these type of morons in such a community like this?

I'm pretty sure it's happened. I don't know if there were, but there HAS to be one.

ARTgames

Delicious wellcome to the the bad side internet. Yes this is illegal but its not easy to cech people who do this. What he/she did is called a phishing attack. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing

As i said in the past the person more likely just trying to infect people just to get money from some one else.

Titan

I would reccomend contecting the United States Deparment of Justice.

http://www.justice.gov/criminal/cybercrime/reporting.htm

And possibly contacting your local FBI office.
Livin' in a lonely world.

Remnant

I wouldn't even worry about it, this kind of stuff happens all the time. be thankful that only a few people where attacked, and lets all be a little bit vigilant from this day forth.

~Stay Frosty

Titan

Quote from: Remnant on November 29, 2009, 09:07:17 PM
I wouldn't even worry about it, this kind of stuff happens all the time. be thankful that only a few people where attacked, and lets all be a little bit vigilant from this day forth.

~Stay Frosty

Exactly it happens all the time, and it needs to stop.
Every develops a hatred of the community for whatever reason needs to learn this isn't their playground.
If we never do anything about people will always think they can get away with it.

Meiun

Has anyone confirmed the existence of a virus in this with any antivirus software? Scanning the original files themselves do not seem to show any threat of a virus (based on scans by avast, Windows Defender, Housecall, and a couple others). However, I would not doubt that infection perhaps only occurs after you run the file. If anyone who has done so or got any virus alerts please let me know.

All people that got it can see the other people that the email had been sent to. I suggest as many of you people that the email was sent to get together and create a list of all the people that each of you have on your MSN buddy lists. I'd imagine that the sender would most likely be buddies with all of you (possibly not, but worth a shot). Could at the least narrow it down if he did indeed use a list of people on his MSN.

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Delicious on November 29, 2009, 07:40:00 PM
This is illegal, as well all know, and I'm wondering if it's even possible to press charges on these kinds of criminals? I mean, if we knew who it was do they get away with doing something this rediculious? I'm guessing it's highly uncommon that one will actually go through the trouble of getting this young lad a charge, but there has to be a punishment that does not only relate with getting banned from the Stick-online game and community since this is far more than trying to get an unfair advantage... This immature little tard wants to harm the members in some way or another. Not saying any of us would actually do this, but has there even been any cases where administrators or members who were victomized actually took legal action against these type of morons in such a community like this?

Back in the day when the actual SO website was hacked...charges of some sort were pressed if I am not mistaken. By Meiun and Scotty. I'm sure some sort of action will be taken if the culprit is caught...but tracking email is a nuisance. I guess a place to start would be to see who got sent the emails and see if they all might be linked to suspects...because since not everybody got it there people were obviously hand-picked.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Scotty

As far as the file.  I've actually gone ahead an ran it under a controlled environment, and so far as I can tell, the aim of the program is to crash the computer.  I'm running further checks to see if a virus was in fact installed on my computer, but so far, I haven't discovered anything that would classify it as a virus.  It was built using Game Maker, that much is certain.  In fact, if one were to stumble upon it, at first glance, it could almost look as though a legitimate Stick Online client.  As far actual damages done, well past the initial attempt of it trying to crash your computer, I can't determine any further damages done at the moment.

Jake

Quote from: Scotty on November 30, 2009, 02:14:29 AM
There was never any legal action taken against anyone for an attack, and quite frankly, there will never be any legal action taken.  Just think of how many people have attempted to phish passwords for myspace in the past.  Nothing can be done with this, except taking personal action against the culprit, who will likely never be caught.  It also ties into S.O. being an amateur developer project with no patent.  There has never been a patent on Stick Online, therefor legal action is that much harder should any of the staff pursue any legal action for anything past, present, or future.

As far as the file.  I've actually gone ahead an ran it under a controlled environment, and so far as I can tell, the aim of the program is to crash the computer.  I'm running further checks to see if a virus was in fact installed on my computer, but so far, I haven't discovered anything that would classify it as a virus.  It was built using Game Maker, that much is certain.  In fact, if one were to stumble upon it, at first glance, it could almost look as though a legitimate Stick Online client.  As far actual damages done, well past the initial attempt of it trying to crash your computer, I can't determine any further damages done at the moment.
One of us could quickly decompile it and check the source.

Scotty

Others have tried.

mikkelet

Quote from: Lucifer on November 29, 2009, 02:42:17 PM
Quote from: mikkelet on November 29, 2009, 01:21:20 PM
!@#$, I opened, downloaded and replied...

/emo

Why wasn't this set in the news >.< I checked forum frontpage before I downloaded...
Because you were one of the few lucky donors, silly! You should probably try downloading it again, I'm sure the virus was a mere coincidence.

I don't know what's funnier, the fact that anyone fell for this, or the choice of some of the "responsable" people it was sent to. No offense intended, ahahahahaaaXD.

Doesn't even sound like Meiun.. lmao...
!@#$ you, mate. I made a mistake, no reason to make it worse...

and I already scanned my computer, it didn't find anything from an actual virus, just some messed up files really.

edit: I dont think the email was being sent by a bot or something. Im not here to create suspiciousness among us, but I think it was created from one here on the forum or from one from msn. I dont know... :S

Titan

I don't have an msn, so it doesn't seem like thats a possibility.

Scotty

I knew that wasn't much of a possibility, especially when you consider that directly beneath your avatar, there is a mail icon (unless you chosen not to display it) that will allow others to email you.  Not exactly hard to get someone's e-mail address now-a-days!

Chaos

Quote from: mikkelet on November 30, 2009, 06:38:10 AM
edit: I dont think the email was being sent by a bot or something. Im not here to create suspiciousness among us, but I think it was created from one here on the forum or from one from msn. I dont know... :S

Um...duh?  A round of applause for Captain Obvious!
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Pat

Let Sherlock Holmes have his moment.
Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.