News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

2012 theory

Started by wrinkles, December 22, 2009, 01:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lingus

Quote from: ARTgames on December 22, 2009, 05:54:54 PM
2012 = Y2k
Agreed. It's the next End of the World scare. After 2012 there will be another. Given enough time and enough will, people will find hidden messages in whatever they want.

DarkBlade325

Quote from: Lingus on December 22, 2009, 06:08:54 PM
Quote from: ARTgames on December 22, 2009, 05:54:54 PM
2012 = Y2k
Agreed. It's the next End of the World scare. After 2012 there will be another. Given enough time and enough will, people will find hidden messages in whatever they want.

I found one in a water bottle. It said "Aquafina".

We're all going to die of some freak flood.

swordmaster

no, the Mayans don't want to make any more years on the Mayan calender so they think the world will end
IGN:iCup

Delicious

Here is a beautiful animation of how it would look when Nibru (Second sun) crashed onto our earth. I believe this is one of the most major theories that many believe would occur.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyPy-a7HrnE&feature=fvw

Also, watch this video if you have time, it's fairly interesting... (1 of 6 parts)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAtgPaggeTM&feature=related

Never knew that we had the technology such as the "Web-bot". After watching, I may believe that 2012 will happen.  :-\
<3

Epsilon72200

Am I the only one that found the ending in that first video hilarious?
This whole 2012 thing seems like some economy/religion-related ploy to me. XD I'm probably wrong though, could just be silly people with too much time on their hands.

If this really still has anything to do with the Mayan calanders, since when do un-advanced civilizations have the science to determine the end of the world?
But hey, I might have read this all wrong, I just barely heard about this today. D:
a.k.a. "[NIN]", "EpsiloNIN" and "PudgeNIN".

Pat

Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.

God-I-Suck

Man, the scene with the 4 giants holding up the moon in that game is so epic.

DarkBlade325

Quote from: God-I-Suck on December 24, 2009, 10:32:58 PM
Man, the scene with the 4 giants holding up the moon in that game is so epic.

That moon made me shit my pants way back. It still kinda does.

Pat

Quote from: DarkBlade325 on December 25, 2009, 12:54:07 PM
That moon made me shit my pants way back. It still kinda does.
Yea luckly nowadays we have rockets and stuff that goes boom just incase this happens
Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.

Grim_Reaper

Quote from: Delicious on December 22, 2009, 08:43:45 PM
Here is a beautiful animation of how it would look when Nibru (Second sun) crashed onto our earth. I believe this is one of the most major theories that many believe would occur.

Also, watch this video if you have time, it's fairly interesting... (1 of 6 parts)

Never knew that we had the technology such as the "Web-bot". After watching, I may believe that 2012 will happen.  :-\
If anything like that happened the earth would be preparing for it. Plus if that was going to happen (first vid) we would know it by now cause of our satalites and high powered telescopes.

Grim_Reaper -> lvl 78
Teh_Ninja    -> lvl 34
FL0P           -> lvl 51

Lingus

Quote from: Grim_Reaper on December 28, 2009, 05:26:51 PM
Plus if that was going to happen (first vid) we would know it by now cause of our satalites and high powered telescopes.
Not necessarily. There are blind spots and such. Not to mention it's extremely difficult to spot a single object out in space. We can't scan the entirety of the sky at all times. What I believe they do is scan different sections of the sky at intervals and look for differences. Those differences are objects that are closer to us, because they are moving faster in our frame of view than objects much farther out. It is possible that an object can be missed.

I do have to say, I have yet to hear why people actually think the world will "end". All I have seen is examples of how the world will end. Solar flares, rogue planets, etc. But what proof is there that this will definitely occur on 12/21/2012? Just because a few different cultures in history have pointed to that date? Are those referrences even exact? Or has someone taken all of those referrences and interpretted each one as falling on 12/21/2012? If so, I would pass that off as someone messing with the numbers. Probably not purposefully, but if that someone had been expecting to get a certain result, such as the exact date of 12/21/12, then they would be more likely to arive at that result. That's just how it works.

Looperpuck

Quote from: Delicious on December 22, 2009, 08:43:45 PM

Nice Video finds Del. But out of all the 6 I have watched.... This one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txFNP3A5WnM&feature=related Seemed to freak me out the most.

I can't say I believe in the 2012 disaster. But from what I've seen in these videos from the olden day Prophecies and Oracles have made great predictions on what has actually happened. And almost all of them have predicted a disaster in 2012. Some things that shocked me the most is that some Oracles have predicted rising kings over 800 years before being born, by name. Thats either a pretty good guess, or they knew something nobody else could ever know.

~Looperpuck
Resurrected

Lingus

Quote from: Looperpuck on December 28, 2009, 07:10:59 PMI can't say I believe in the 2012 disaster. But from what I've seen in these videos from the olden day Prophecies and Oracles have made great predictions on what has actually happened. And almost all of them have predicted a disaster in 2012. Some things that shocked me the most is that some Oracles have predicted rising kings over 800 years before being born, by name. Thats either a pretty good guess, or they knew something nobody else could ever know.
I don't know. I still have a hard time believing in this kind of thing. There's a lot of factors that could cause some "prophecy" to come true. Time being the biggest one. It's no wonder we're seeing prophesies from a thousand or more years ago coming true. It's so much time that it allows for those events to happen. Eventually, everything occurs. Then there is the fact that most of these things are very vague and general. They use terms and phrases that can be interpretted in several different ways. Fire reigning from the sky could be any number of events. I know some are more specific than that, but it's an example. You also have the whole self fulfilling prophecy as Chaos mentioned. People learn of a prophecy either directly or indirectly, and they act towards fulfilling it in some way. Then you have translation error. This, I'm sure, accounts for quite a lot. If someone is translating something, and they have something in mind already, they could skew the results of the translation in favor of the prophecy being related to something it should not be. Same with dates. Considering the different calenders being used by different cultures, the dates they use have to be translated to our calender. These translations can be wrong as they are just estimates and best guesses in some cases. Take enough of these errors and you can do whatever you want with the numbers. Take six different dates from six different culture's calenders and claim they are referring to the same date.

Scotty

That's the thing, there isn't any proof Lingus.  While the Mayans didn't intend for it, their philosophies are playing on human's natural superstition.  We let this stuff get to us too easily.  All it is, is a bunch of predictions that people are too superstitious to not consider a possibility.