News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Stick - Online simulator [updated to v.06]

Started by HeroicHero, January 03, 2010, 10:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stick d00d

Quote from: HeroicHero on January 04, 2010, 05:46:04 PM
I asked Meiun and he said he was okay with it, as long as I make it clear that it's a fan project and that the graphics do not belong to me.
Yea I like the idea I was just saying you should've asked before using the sprites, nice work btw would like to see more :P.

Cactuscat222

I love how each and every person has to come on here and post the same exact thing to make them look all righteous and mighty. >.> Its been said once, not everyone needs to say it.

Either way, I love that animation Cero has, and it looks awesome in there. I  hope you continue this. :)

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

Scotty

Quote from: Jake on January 04, 2010, 05:45:17 PM
Quote from: Scotty on January 04, 2010, 05:36:30 PM
Quote from: Red October on January 04, 2010, 06:14:06 AM
Quote from: Lucifer on January 04, 2010, 06:04:48 AM
As long as you ask people before you do it, I see nothing wrong with this.

So this project is against copyright laws.

...  What copyright laws... Show me the patent.
Forgive me if I'm wrong on this, but a copyright and patent are two different things. Stick Online is an expressive medium owned by Meiun, therefore he has basic copyrights over it.

"Copyright applies to any expressible form of an idea or information that is substantive and discrete and fixed in a medium." - Wikipedia

There's no need for a patent.

My point is, Stick Online has not been registered and does not show up in the public catalog under the copyright office (I just checked).  Yes, someone stealing his original works of art is illegal.  Now the catchy part is, what is going to happen if they do.  He could send a Cease and Desist letter insisting them to stop, and even pay for damages, but being that he isn't registered, they could easily turn that around on him, register their work, and claim he is the true infringer.  He cannot sue for monetary gain and have the court pay him for damages since he is not registered.  He COULD try to sue them if the cease and desist letter has no effect, but at most, that will just shut down the operation.

Case in point, if someone was to go and steal any of this work right now, the biggest thing Meiun could do is demand them to stop and pay money.  Whether or not they do, well that's up to them.  At the very most, at a high cost for Meiun, he could have the court shut them down (if they are in America, if not, it gets REALLY hairy), since his not registered, and has not payed the fees.

EpicPhailure

I don't see any problems with this. He didn't intend on claiming the sprites as his own, nor did he have any intention to keep the project from Stick Online's knowledge. Hero infact gave it to us, as a way to make our ideas possible.

Anyway, on topic. The BBB is moving too slowly.

HeroicHero

Changed the BBB speed, but I dunno what his speed is exactly.

Anyone have any ideas that I should add into the game?

Aqua

Attack is S, A is jump, down is duck (for higher jump). I think you should add an inventory for items people suggest, screenshots of all these can be found in the Media forum.
~Aqua

Demeni

I'm sure, since ceroblitz made his sprites with some sort of GIF animator, he mostly likely has sprite sheets that you could use if he gives you permission. Also, be sure to give him credit in game, I'm not sure if its there or just on the the forum.

Also, I can activate your account for you if you want me to. I was planning on donating more anyways.

HeroicHero

Quote from: Demeni on January 04, 2010, 08:05:09 PM
I'm sure, since ceroblitz made his sprites with some sort of GIF animator, he mostly likely has sprite sheets that you could use if he gives you permission. Also, be sure to give him credit in game, I'm not sure if its there or just on the the forum.

Also, I can activate your account for you if you want me to. I was planning on donating more anyways.

Demeni, that would be so awesome! I owe you!  :o

Demeni

Sure, but don't expect it for a few days. I need to get the $5 in, and then I need to have you message Meiun with username and password so I don't know what it is. I'll send you a message when I need you to do something like that.

Lingus

Quote from: Scotty on January 04, 2010, 06:43:22 PM
Quote from: Jake on January 04, 2010, 05:45:17 PM
Quote from: Scotty on January 04, 2010, 05:36:30 PM
Quote from: Red October on January 04, 2010, 06:14:06 AM
Quote from: Lucifer on January 04, 2010, 06:04:48 AM
As long as you ask people before you do it, I see nothing wrong with this.

So this project is against copyright laws.

...  What copyright laws... Show me the patent.
Forgive me if I'm wrong on this, but a copyright and patent are two different things. Stick Online is an expressive medium owned by Meiun, therefore he has basic copyrights over it.

"Copyright applies to any expressible form of an idea or information that is substantive and discrete and fixed in a medium." - Wikipedia

There's no need for a patent.

My point is, Stick Online has not been registered and does not show up in the public catalog under the copyright office (I just checked).  Yes, someone stealing his original works of art is illegal.  Now the catchy part is, what is going to happen if they do.  He could send a Cease and Desist letter insisting them to stop, and even pay for damages, but being that he isn't registered, they could easily turn that around on him, register their work, and claim he is the true infringer.  He cannot sue for monetary gain and have the court pay him for damages since he is not registered.  He COULD try to sue them if the cease and desist letter has no effect, but at most, that will just shut down the operation.

Case in point, if someone was to go and steal any of this work right now, the biggest thing Meiun could do is demand them to stop and pay money.  Whether or not they do, well that's up to them.  At the very most, at a high cost for Meiun, he could have the court shut them down (if they are in America, if not, it gets REALLY hairy), since his not registered, and has not payed the fees.
I believe Meiun would be able to prove his ownership based on date. Since his files would be older than anyone elses, it would stand up. I believe that is how it works. At least I know that is how it works with music. Once you record it, it becomes copyright. If you can prove the date you recorded it, you have enough proof against anyone claiming it is their original work.

Torch

Wow, Cero's Inferno Sword animation is incredibly fluid. I wouldn't mind seeing that in SOv2.

Mr Pwnage

Pfft...you all really need to get the sand out of your vaginas...this kid is clearly maturer than most we have been getting and puts some effort into his works...He obviously had no intention of stealing...Christ some of you just act like you were born just today sometimes. Anyways, it's kinda neat. Nothing too special, but I like how fluid the animation looks and the fact you can attack in mid air is pretty neat and looks in-place aswell. Nice work.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Pat

I agree that Cero's animations are smooth, but they don't fit in with Stick Online v2's animation style.
Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Pat on January 04, 2010, 11:54:04 PM
I agree that Cero's animations are smooth, but they don't fit in with Stick Online v2's animation style.
Which doesn't really matter seeing as they weren't made for V2 at all...
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

CherryPie

ohman, this is some real nice work. How long did it take you overall.
I love the way aerial attacks are put in there and work perfectly.