News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Stick World

Started by xCoCex, January 08, 2010, 10:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petro

Quote from: Chaos on January 16, 2010, 02:39:06 PM
Quote from: Petro on January 16, 2010, 02:15:29 PM
Quote from: Chaos on January 16, 2010, 01:56:54 PM
OH, IT'S JUST A SWORD.  OH, IT'S JUST A HELMET.

OH, IT'S JUST A COMPLETELY PATHETIC LACK OF EFFORT.

Your argument fails, get the !@#$ out.

It is still just a stick figure, I don't care what you say. Your 3 stick figures don't even look that much different, they are just different sizes  and the 3rd one has a small amount of shading. So by your standards, what I did to this stick makes it okay because look its taller, has longer arms, and has a piece of gray shit on it.  

Just stop bitching about it, in the long run, this game is going to fail anyway, so who gives a shit.

And what, pray tell, does being a stick figure have to do with it?  What drops a stick figure to a lower level of status over any other sprite?  "It's just a stick figure, it's okay to steal it!"  How does that even begin to calculate in your brain?  Regardless of the effort required to make something, it doesn't make it okay to STEAL SOMEONE ELSE'S WORK.

Yes, my stick figures actually look QUITE different.  I don't think I'd have to worry about anyone confusing mine and and Stick Online's, now would I?  If the only difference you can see beyond the shading on the third one is "OMFG THEY ARE DIFFERENT HEIGHTS", then you'd have to be !@#$ing BLIND.  Different width, different height, different STANCE, feet, hands, shading.  Use your god damn eyes.

And yes, I would call yours different, too.  Not that hard to make something that wasn't a complete rip-off, was it?  So I have to question, what the !@#$ is wrong with the people who made this game?

But in the end, after you change the boldness, feet, and head, it is still 5 lines and a circle. So I believe that changing the boldness of the head and putting 2 red dots on the hands (by the way..wtf are those red dots anyway?) are enough to make is different. I agree that he should of made it more different, but I don't see it as a big enough deal to bitch and argue about (which yes I realize I am arguing about it). I just don't see how what I did to it makes it okay, but what he did isn't, but whatever I don't care enough to continue arguing.

and @Crozier
Obviously my shading on it is crap, I just took a color of gray and scribbled on it. And if you want to recolor my avatar, have fun, why would I care? And for the "next time I post a sprite", if you ever saw how I sprited, you would know that would never happen.

Lingus

Quote from: Chaos on January 16, 2010, 02:43:39 PMIncidentally, I'd just like to reiterate, I don't give a shit about them using SO's stick man.  Whatever.  I'm just supporting Lingus's EXTREMELY VALID criticism on the stick man.
This.

+Rep

Thank you Chaos for proving my point. I will point out that I didn't care enough to go to the lengths that Chaos did to prove this. What he is saying though, is exactly what I was trying to say. I could give two craps if they used the exact sprite, to the pixel, that SO uses. You're right. It's not that big of a deal. What it means is that the person who made this game doesn't care about the game they are making to create an original looking main character.

And just so you realize, there are an infinite number of ways to arrange 5 lines and a circle. Infinite. Some arrangements won't even look like a stick figure. But the ones that do will likely have wide, vastly differing looks. Chaos proved that even 3 different stick figures could look quite different from each other. There are certainly many different ways one could design a stick figure than the examples provided here.

Why are we having this discussion? Not that we care that someone "stole" the SO stick figure, that's part of it... mainly because it's ridiculous when someone comes to the SO forum talking about their game that they are making trying to get people all excited about it when they've put next to no effort into certain aspects of the game. And what? We're supposed to be all happy about this game now? Please, keep trying to make games. I'm not trying to discourage you. Just do it with some more originality, creativity. You won't get far without that. And if you can't see by now that what you have done is so similar to SO then you won't make it...

Cactuscat222

You all seem to have misunderstood me, Chaos and Lingus.

I didn't say that the stick figure was original work; I was saying why does it matter? "If, however, the SO version of the stick is the best bet for animating or looks, then why not use it?"

Of course, you answered that now as well, and I agree. More effort should be put in, but I don't think its enough to consider the game to be horrid off the bat.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

DarkTrinity

I think the argument that "oh he only changed a few pixels, it's just a stick figure" is a poor statement in itself. Being an artist, if you take someones work and "change a few things" it's still taking their work either way. So I don't see how it's THAT DIFFICULT to make an original sprite of a stickman out of your own head.
I consider it lazy. Sure, the game can still go far with using it and whatever, but either way you look at it, it's still unoriginal.

Chaos made 3 stick figures in 5 minutes, so by that basis, I'm sure anyone could make ONE single good stick figure in 5 minutes.

@Petro: Stop being a dillhole. The different between Chaos' stick sprite and yours is his doesn't look like shit. kthanxbai.

Lingus

Quote from: Cactuscat222 on January 16, 2010, 05:01:25 PM
but I don't think its enough to consider the game to be horrid off the bat.
True. But it's certainly not promising. And it doesn't make me want to really even try the game.

Petro

Quote from: DarkTrinity on January 16, 2010, 05:08:42 PM
@Petro: Stop being a dillhole. The different between Chaos' stick sprite and yours is his doesn't look like shit. kthanxbai.
I already said I was done with this argument, I don't need you to try to defend Chaos and bring it back up.
Also, I don't recall saying mine looked better (actually I believe I said it indeed looks like crap), or even comparing it to his in the first place.

Chaos

Quote from: Cactuscat222 on January 16, 2010, 05:01:25 PM
I didn't say that the stick figure was original work; I was saying why does it matter? "If, however, the SO version of the stick is the best bet for animating or looks, then why not use it?"

Because bullshit (it isn't the best bet for animating OR looks.  The SO stick man is actually kinda crappy atm.), and because it's someone else's work.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Snakeman

How can you even plagiarize a stickman sprite and put it in a game and feel proud about it? It isn't hard to make a stick figure, folks. Even if you halfass it and whip out trusty old MSpaint and the line tool, anybody can make one.

...Unless there's something terribly, TERRIBLY wrong with you.

xCoCex

lmao.
I'll close this topic (if possible).
What u guys write here makes me bit sad.. :'(
I'll post a demo in some weeks.
Ty Chaos & Lingus.
BA hunting started 6.10.10 - ...
BAs killed: 48
Gold: 39
Spire Dagger: 0
Bandit Cover: 0
Bandit Mask: 6