News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

League of Legends

Started by Meiun, January 17, 2010, 11:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meiun

League of Legends is sortof an RTS style game that is based of a really popular Warcraft 3 mod called Defence of the Ancients (DoTA). League of Legends takes a lot of the concepts of that super popular mod and turns it into a really fun standalone commercial quality game. You basically start each round on a team (5v5) and pick a character out of over 40 options (most of which you have to unlock). Each of these characters has their own set of unique skills and abilities. The game plays a bit like warcraft/diablo, but ofcourse you only control your one character. The game is highly strategy based, and the goal is to work your way into and destroy the enemy base by destroying all their towers and fighting off the enemy characters as well as armies of computer controlled enemies that are sent from their base. Oh, and it's free :) Kindof hard to explain the game as it has a bit of a steep learning curve, but I figured I'd make a topic about it and let you guys check it out for yourself:

https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b4fa7252f330

Lucifer

Huh. I've always been a fan of Dota, the only thing that brought it down was the horrid battle.net community. I haven't been playing warcraft recently though, so I never even heard about this o.O. Reminds me.. I never got around to play Demigod, another Dota-based game. Anyways, thanks for sharing! I'll be sure to try this out.

Meiun

The community can be a bit bitchy at times, but isn't anywhere near as bad as DoTA from what little I had seen of it. Either way, this does not use battlenet or any of that stuff, and is not a mod at all (even though it is made by a bunch of the original mod's creators).

ARTgames

I'm downloading lol now. What do you get if you pay?

Meiun

Quote from: ARTgames on January 18, 2010, 01:46:00 AM
Basically, out of the over 40 available "champions" (characters), you will only be able to pick from a small selection of them when you first start (this selection oh champions who are available to everyone changes each week). Either through spending IP points earned from winning games, or through paying, you can choose to unlock new characters to play as permanently. You can also get other things such as new character skins, runes, and some other bonus's. If you do decide to pay I'd recommend either getting the boxed version of the game in a store, or just do one of the Champion Bundles in the online store. If you actually payed for each character individually it would end up costing WAY more.

Lucifer

God I love that acronym...
I played a few bot matches, gunna take a while to transition to it from dota but it was pretty fun, =D. By the way, what do you get from referring us?

Meiun

Nothing much unless I do a ton of them. Mostly just temporary IP point boosts (temporarily earn IP faster) for every 5 people I refer.

mikkelet

Seems interesting, might try it out some time (=

Magebolt

Looks darn sweet, Downloading as we speak :P
http://teno.boards.net/

Just started a 2D Platformer MMORPG with Killer Loader called " The Endless Night Online"

Cactuscat222

Have any of you tried Heroes of Newerth?

It's another DotA standalone clone, made by S2 games, and its basically an exact copy of DotA, but it has alot of features and stuff that DotA can't offer. If you really enjoyed DotA, then you should definitely try HoN as well.

As for League of Legends, I tried it as well awhile back, during the beta. I quite liked it, but never got into it as much as I did with HoN.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

Meiun

A couple tips to new players, I'd recommend doing the tutorial as well as maybe a bot game or so before playing online. The game has a pretty steep learning curve to some people, and though it may seem simple with the mouse movement and all that, it actually can require a lot of strategy, teamwork, and skill. This is definitely not the type of game where you can get away with just charging right in over and over.

A couple tips for noobs:
-you only get gold from killing enemy creeps (cpu controlled soldier guys) when you get the last hit in on it
-You should always try to avoid getting hit by the enemy creeps (especially at low leves). Wait for your own to come in and let them take the hits from them.
-Don't push into enemy territory too far by yourself, especially as a noob
-When you attack an enemy near their own tower, the tower automatically targets you.
-And most importantly, even if you suck try to avoid get killed a shitload. One person who really sucks and feeds the enemy lots of gold from getting killed over and over can lose the game for the whole team.

Quote from: Cactuscat222 on January 18, 2010, 04:25:54 AM
Have any of you tried Heroes of Newerth?

It's another DotA standalone clone, made by S2 games, and its basically an exact copy of DotA, but it has alot of features and stuff that DotA can't offer. If you really enjoyed DotA, then you should definitely try HoN as well.

As for League of Legends, I tried it as well awhile back, during the beta. I quite liked it, but never got into it as much as I did with HoN.
Yup I've heard of it, looking forward to it. I've always been a fan of Savage and Savage 2.

Cactuscat222

Oh yeah. Definitely, this game is all about teamwork. It isn't something you can expect to do on your own. One thing that I like about LoL, is that there is a tutorial.

More importantly though, they took the concept of DotA and added all sorts of different mechanics and changed it up, which is something I really wanted to see. Heroes of Newerth is just an exact clone, with several fancy features to make playing better. While I love it for that, I enjoy playing something new from time to time.

And definitely, until you have time to research the items and heroes, go with the recommended items it has for each champion.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

Magebolt

Meuin you should get every ones user names so we can befriend each other online yeah?

Mines Magebolt.
http://teno.boards.net/

Just started a 2D Platformer MMORPG with Killer Loader called " The Endless Night Online"

EpicPhailure

I've seen DotA (even played a little myself; I got owned by level 1 cpus), and also saw my brother play a bit of Heroes of Newerth. I guess I'll try LoL, but the hero selection system sounds pretty weird to me. If I read it right, it means you don't actually get to choose the hero you want unless you pay?

stick d00d

Quote from: EpicPhailure on January 18, 2010, 09:07:05 AM
I've seen DotA (even played a little myself; I got owned by level 1 cpus), and also saw my brother play a bit of Heroes of Newerth. I guess I'll try LoL, but the hero selection system sounds pretty weird to me. If I read it right, it means you don't actually get to choose the hero you want unless you pay?

Quote from: Meiun on January 18, 2010, 01:52:21 AM
Basically, out of the over 40 available "champions" (characters), you will only be able to pick from a small selection of them when you first start (this selection oh champions who are available to everyone changes each week). Either through spending IP points earned from winning games, or through paying, you can choose to unlock new characters to play as permanently. You can also get other things such as new character skins, runes, and some other bonus's. If you do decide to pay I'd recommend either getting the boxed version of the game in a store, or just do one of the Champion Bundles in the online store. If you actually payed for each character individually it would end up costing WAY more.

And i'm also downloading it now, looks fun. Holy s#$% the estimated time for the download says 20 hours, my internet fails.