News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Aliens vs Predator Demo.

Started by DarkBlade325, February 04, 2010, 02:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

First off, it is based on Rebellion's original title which had marines in it which came from Aliens (You'll also see Weyland thanks you for your patience in the loading screens, too from Aliens). The only problem I had with the camera was with the alien where is hard to see where you're going. The instakills are part of the alien's and predator's stealth element and I'm pretty sure you can counter them (As the predator every time I grabbed an alien he'd jump away from me). In the heat of battle it isn't easy to get behind the opponent anyway unless the opponent doesn't know what their doing. But I have to admit, the instakills really do piss me off too and I think it should be something that is kept in singleplayer but not in multiplayer. I also agree that you shouldn't be able to choose a class, but I found it instantly. When you hover the mouse over the picture of the marine it says choose class, clicking it did nothing so I looked around it and there were the icons. But in every match it was me, a predator, against 4 aliens and 3 marines. It's really hard to stay alive in that situation. The predator's plasma cannon was just cheap, you see the laser sights a few seconds later it's locked on and you're dead. And it doesn't even need to lockon if you're good at shooting it.
Combat with the mouse is different than button mashing. As an marine, left click is primary fire, right click is secondary and middle click is to punch. Pretty basic, you shoot from a range and when you get dazed by an enemy try to melee kill them. As an Alien, left click is to claw and right click is to tail. The tail does more damage than clawing and dazes the enemy but has a longer cool down. As a predator, left click is to claw and right click is to charge up an stfuppercut. A single tap of right click will do a little damage and daze the enemy, but a fully charged one will do a lot of damage. It takes 2 right clicks to kill an enemy, which is good if you land the first hit because the enemy will be dazed until just about when you can land the second hit. The marine doesn't get any daze attacks (I think the punch may daze the pred but I'm not sure). But all in all, combat is about who lands the first hit in this game.
The classes all have different abilities which make them more appealing:
Marine: People who first look at this game will think, not playing as a marine. In the Alien and Predator movies the humans die almost instantly. Well you stand a chance in this game for some reason. You start off with a pulse rifle which has a huge clip of 99. You can spray at an enemy in the distance and kill them easily. if an enemy is running up to you while you're spraying at them, a simple tap of the middle button will punch them, possibly killing them and making you look good. The marine will also be provided with a large array of weapons, though this isn't shown in the demo (Pistol, pulse rifle, shotgun, sniper, minigun and flamethrower). The marine has no special visual modes or outlines on the enemies, but he does get a radar which shows dots of where enemies are and the distance of the closest one. I'm not sure if this was a bug when I first saw it, but I'm sure its a gameplay thing now. On death, if holding down the trigger, the marine will keep shooting after death and anything that gets in the way will be shot. The marine slowly regenerates health and can use health stims to instantly heal.
Alien: The alien is quite a fun and easy class if you ask me. He gets an outline of nearby enemies (because of their sensitive senses), can walk up walls just by walking into them and hide in dark places. The alien is the ideal class for instakill grabs because it hides well in the dark (as long as a predator doesn't come along). The alien possess little abilities but has a few usefull things about it. When jumping at a ledge the alien will leap across to the ledge on the other side, making it easy to escape other enemies which can't jump that far. The alien has the fastest moving speed and lays low on the ground like a snake, making it hard to shoot at. The alien's speed can be further increased by hitting the sprint button, making you incredibly fast. And lastly, when shot the alien bleeds and his blood happens to be made of a highly corrosive acid. This makes it easy to finish off marines that you didn't do enough damage to kill them before they killed you, burning their face off.
Predator: The predator has a lot of abilities making him the popular class at first, but then when people play him a bit they find him to be a bit slow and weak. The predator has his claws to fight with at first but there are level pickups for him which activate weapons. Some weapons are, mines which you can throw pretty far, the plasma cannon which locks onto enemies and delivers a one hit kill, the predator spear which can be thrown, the razor disk which bounces around and returns to you. There may be even more when the game is released fully. The predators claw attack is different from other melee attacks because you don't have to be aiming directly at the enemy, the predators moves in and faces them automatically, making it incredibly easy to take out aliens. The predator has a chargeable second melee attack that I like to call the stfuppercut because it's a strong uppercut that dazes the enemy. When the walk button is pushed (default shift) the predator will be able to see nearby pickups and a target which he can aim onto high or distant platforms allowing him to jump up high. The predator also has a cloaking device making him partially invisible (he flickers occasionally) and 3 different view filters, regular, heat sensitive and acid sensitive. Regular lets him see like the other classes, heat lets him see marines and other predators (and the flickering parts of predators cloaking) and the acid sensitive lets him see aliens lit up in bright green.
I'd like to finish off here by saying, don't fully condem the game until you have seen the final result.

PS:
The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
Warning - while you were typing 7 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.
Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.

DarkBlade325

Quote from: Chaos on February 04, 2010, 07:55:11 PM
Hrm.  Sounds like severe balance issues.

All I can say is give it a try for yourself. Free multiplayer download on Steam, only takes about an hour or so to install. Come back and give me your opinion after a couple of games. AND HOLY SHIT Pat got here fast.

Edit: I lol'd at the 7 new posts thing Pat. You sure have alot to say, holy shit.

Also about the Predator weapons, Ive never seen anyone use them. Hell I just see people go in for instant kill grabs. Like I said it's very easy to just circle strafe enemies and hit the E key. Also about those times when your victim escaped your grab, I think that happens when you're attacked by someone else. There's no 'quick time event' to get out of it from what Ive seen. And if there is, there's no alert to say "Hit ___ to escape" or something.

Your comment is !@#$ing huge, so I'll see what I missed about the game later. Over all, thanks for the reply.

Lingus

Quote from: DarkBlade325 on February 04, 2010, 07:43:34 PMTo put it simple: Marines > Predators > Aliens.
Don't you mean: Marines < Predators < Aliens?

The way you had it the Marines were "greater than" Predators and Aliens.

Pat

Marines are though. Right click with a shotgun at short range is instakill, spraying at a distance is an easy kill too. The only thing they don't have is an easy way to see the enemies.
Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.

Jake

Quote from: Pat on February 05, 2010, 06:53:40 PM
Marines are though. Right click with a shotgun at short range is instakill, spraying at a distance is an easy kill too. The only thing they don't have is an easy way to see the enemies.
The way Darkblade had it though, he meant to say that marines were the weakest.