News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Moral Thinking

Started by Chaos, March 04, 2010, 10:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaos

By the way, I want to clarify, this is merely a critical thinking exercise.  There is no right or wrong answer, and I'm not going to jump in at the end of the topic and start mocking people for their posts.  All I want is whether you believe he is right or wrong to steal the drug, and more importantly, WHY you think it is right or wrong.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Scotty

Quote from: Chaos on March 04, 2010, 10:27:51 PM
(Answer both questions, or don't answer at all.  Don't debate other people's answers.  For now, just post yours.)

So how 'bout that?

ARTgames

Quote from: Scotty on March 05, 2010, 12:04:25 AM
(Answer both questions, or don't answer at all.  Don't debate other people's answers.  For now, just post yours.)

So how 'bout that?

Why don't you just go ask water to be dry.

maybe if there was a way in which we would not see the other post until we made ours. or make it a poll in which we cant see untill we vote (and have a commit place for our why)

Scotty

Quote from: ARTgames on March 05, 2010, 12:07:16 AM
(Answer both questions, or don't answer at all.  Don't debate other people's answers.  For now, just post yours.)

So how 'bout that?

maybe if there was a way in which we would not see the other post until we made ours. or make it a poll in which we cant see untill we vote (and have a commit place for our why)

It's called self control.  Try and exercise it a bit.

EpicPhailure

The man was right to steal it.

The only reason that we even believe in the concept of stealing is because of how humans are so possessive of their own material matters.

Meiun

We actually talked about almost the exact same question in my ethics class last semester, the only difference was that it said the man wanting the medicine offered to pay later but the seller still refused. The best answer I can come up with would be to steal the drugs, leave what money you can pay there for the owner, and then after giving the meds to your wife turn yourself in/accept the consequences of your theft. It would still be far better than simply letting her die.

Chaos

Quote from: Meiun on March 05, 2010, 12:17:19 AM
We actually talked about almost the exact same question in my ethics class last semester, the only difference was that it said the man wanting the medicine offered to pay later but the seller still refused. The best answer I can come up with would be to steal the drugs, leave what money you can pay there for the owner, and then after giving the meds to your wife turn yourself in/accept the consequences of your theft. It would still be far better than simply letting her die.

Silly Meiun.  You didn't answer either question!   :P

Was he right or wrong to steal the drugs, and why do you say so?
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

ARTgames

Quote from: Scotty on March 05, 2010, 12:10:32 AM
Quote from: ARTgames on March 05, 2010, 12:07:16 AM
(Answer both questions, or don't answer at all.  Don't debate other people's answers.  For now, just post yours.)

So how 'bout that?

It's called self control.  Try and exercise it a bit.

And my replay still the same:
Why don't you just go ask water to be dry?

I agree to what you are saying its just i don't think everyone here will do that. Or in other words i dont have faith in people here will follow that. But hey im wrong alot!

Also im getting off topic. i should really stop now.

edit:
my bad i need to learn to stop. Ill try and exercise my self control now.

Meiun

Quote from: Chaos on March 05, 2010, 12:20:31 AM

Silly Meiun.  You didn't answer either question!   :P

Stealing is "wrong" nomatter how you cut it, but he would be far more wrong to have not done it. It is really a lose lose situation, so the best he could do would simply be to do what he has to do for his wife, then do the best he can to fix the situation with the stealing afterwards.

Torch

Quote from: Meiun on March 05, 2010, 12:24:01 AM
Quote from: Chaos on March 05, 2010, 12:20:31 AM

Silly Meiun.  You didn't answer either question!   :P

Stealing is "wrong" nomatter how you cut it, but he would be far more wrong to have not done it. It is really a lose lose situation, so the best he could do would simply be to do what he has to do for his wife, then do the best he can to fix the situation with the stealing afterwards.
But that's not necessarily what he did. Do you think what he did was right or wrong? The question wasn't asking what you think he should have done.

Red October

No, becuase there could of been better methods of obtaining the money to pay for the medicine, such as getting a loan.

DivineLegend

i think it is wrong, to steal the drugs that is. could go into the whole religious thing like god says it is her time to end. but i don't really think that would be a great answer. Also, is this sickness she has helped along by herself, such as lung cancer and smoking? Or brain damage from a car accident from talking on the phone? if it was her fault for getting into the position, then it is completely wrong to take the drugs simply because of the fact that someone else could have used them. besides, everything dies eventually, just face it people. You will die, i will die, meiun will die, Obama will die, everyone does, whether its from a gunshot, stillbirth, or just plain out old age of 127 years old.

Jackabomb

Quotemeiun will die
HERESY!!!!

Well, I am a "Straight-up Christian military kid" by verbatim quote from the people at my school. As such this question is fairly simple for me and doesn't require complex mutually contradicting morals or human ethics or other fancy politically correct mumbo-jumbo.

The man was wrong to steal the drugs. The bible says "Thou shalt not steal." The end does not justify the means. While nearly all of the old laws laid down in the Old Testament remain unaltered a few have been specifically changed or repealed later in the New Testament. For instance, animal sacrifice? Not anymore. The same goes for the "Eye for an eye" dictum which still forms the backbone of all human Law today. In the New Testament, we are specifically commanded, "Repay no one evil for evil..."
Thus, the man is also violating this rule if he attempts to justify his actions through some fault of the guy who sells the drug like, overpricing and such. Since the end does not justify the means ever, problem solved.
The woman dies and the man can hold a funeral like everybody else.

And chaos, this is awesome. Do another when this one peters out.

Pat

What if because he stole the medicine, the people who owned it lose all their money and are forced to live on the street where they're kidnapped, tortured and murdered by a hobo serial killer.
Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.

Scotty

All what-if's aside, I understand the necessity to try and sustain life, especially that of which is dear to you.  If you think you can cheat death, prepare to suffer the relevant consequences.  You steal medicine, you're going to burn for it.  People, while sympathetic, are also naturally selfish.  Half the shit you watch from Hollywood is a dime a dozen when it comes to someone making the ultimate sacrifice to save someone else.  Most people would back out.  Those who do would rather the bitch go and steal it herself if she wants it that bad.  Hell, I'll even wheel her broke ass in to grab it off the shelf, but I won't be the one to touch the bottle.  Sure, I'll still burn, but she's gonna burn longer!  I'm not broke, so why should I go down for being perfectly healthy?