News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Valve opens up to Macs

Started by ARTgames, March 08, 2010, 06:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARTgames

Quote from: Lingus on March 10, 2010, 06:40:56 PM
Quote from: ARTgames on March 10, 2010, 05:33:56 PMA mac is a pc.
Lol true. But still they aren't built for gaming necessarily.
Technically all thats wrong with them in gaming side is there lower graphics performance.

But thats why i posted in my first post:
QuoteThey just need to start putting better video cards in macs and it guess you could do sum nice gaming.

This is there middle of the road mac.
http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

Quote2.66GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor with 8MB shared L3 cache; Turbo Boost dynamic performance up to 3.2GHz
4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; four SO-DIMM slots support up to 16GB

Leaving out graphics cards thats just fine for any game out today.

Lingus

Yea, but you also can't really open up a Mac and add a new graphics card like you can on a PC... Hence my saying Macs aren't designed for gamers. It's not just the specs, it's also the fact that they are built to spec and you aren't really supposed to open them up and change them.

ARTgames

If your a PC hardware tweaker gamer, your right. I agree with you 100%. A mac is not for you (maybe a mac pro, its a tower like a normal pc desktop). But those people who are those kinds of gamers know that a mac not for them.

But if your a gamer that does not care too much about that part of gaming than its ok. Xbox for example. You cant change the hardware for it but people on it can still be "gamers". It just depends what kind of gamer you are. I'm just saying if they trow a better video card in there i think the experience would be a lot nicer for the people who don't really care as much but still wants to play these higher end games. As i said, "it never hurts to have a better graphics card."

Pat

Quote from: ARTgames on March 10, 2010, 07:49:21 PM
Xbox for example. You cant change the hardware for it but people on it can still be "gamers".
Well similar to what I said, Xboxes too are built for gaming, someone who isn't a gamer won't buy one. A Mac isn't for gamers except for ones who enjoy those old educational games.
Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.

ARTgames

Not the point of that example but who cares any more.

Does any one here own a mac?

Pat

I'm pretty sure a lot of the people here have at least a Mac book.

ARTgames

Do you think mac will even beef up there system if games start going to the mac? and if so will they let people start changing parts or will they only let you use parts they want you to or not let you do it at all?

Just wondering what you all are thinking.

Pat

Perhaps they will start making external graphics cards for macs.

ARTgames

Quote from: Pat on March 12, 2010, 08:24:41 PM
Perhaps they will start making external graphics cards for macs.
Well they kinda do now. There only suspific graphics cards you can get now for the mac pro. but i see what your saying. I dont think they will ever fab there own cards but ask nvidea or ATI to make ones for the mac.

Lingus

They definitely won't make their own cards. Hell, they've already gone to Intel for the CPU. But they also will definitely not let anyone open the box. You can't do that with a PC either. If you have a retail computer with a warranty (such as Dell) you can't open the box without voiding the warranty. If you want an additional part installed you have to send it back to them to do. And I believe you can do that with Macs already. Have them install more ram on an old computer or a new hard drive or something. Will they start having more higher end graphics card options out of the box? Possibly. If enough people ask for it. It likely won't be something that many Mac users will want though. At least I don't think.

ARTgames

Quote from: Lingus on March 12, 2010, 09:05:11 PM
They definitely won't make their own cards. Hell, they've already gone to Intel for the CPU.
I agree.

But they also will definitely not let anyone open the box. You can't do that with a PC either. If you have a retail computer with a warranty (such as Dell) you can't open the box without voiding the warranty. If you want an additional part installed you have to send it back to them to do.
Well when it comes to dell i get mixed reports. When i got my old 8800gt they did not mind if we did it ower selves. But they do ask to do it for you for other boxes.  so your right. But IDK about hp and ause, etc.

But if you build your own pc then you can.  you are your own warranty:P

And I believe you can do that with Macs already. Have them install more ram on an old computer or a new hard drive or something. Will they start having more higher end graphics card options out of the box? Possibly. If enough people ask for it. It likely won't be something that many Mac users will want though. At least I don't think.
i agree.