News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

game piracy

Started by ARTgames, March 17, 2010, 09:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARTgames

If it was your job to keep people from stealing your game off the internet, what would you do to keep yourself from getting fired?

I think it would be cool to use some of our time to think of a way to make games more easier to have then to say how much we dislike its DRM.

Chaos

Quote from: ARTgames on March 17, 2010, 09:14:22 PM
If it was your job to keep people from stealing your game off the internet, what would you do to keep yourself from getting fired?

I think it would be cool to use some of our time to think of a way to make games more easier to have then to say how much we dislike its DRM.

Tell my company to stop being a greedy whore and selling their game for $60, and tell them to stop using DRM.  That would reduce piracy significantly, I think.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Scotty

I'd quit.

EDIT: OR, I would stream video to the paying customers of the hidden cam I put in DT's shower.

Lingus

Quote from: Chaos on March 17, 2010, 09:33:00 PM

Tell my company to stop being a greedy whore and selling their game for $60, and tell them to stop using DRM.  That would reduce piracy significantly, I think.
It might be true, but it probably wouldn't keep you from being fired.

As for the question, I don't think there's anything you can do. People will always attempt to steal games. Unless the games are made free (or nearly so) and easily accessable (which some games are) then they will be pirated.

Chaos

Quote from: Lingus on March 18, 2010, 01:29:46 PM
Quote from: Chaos on March 17, 2010, 09:33:00 PM

It might be true, but it probably wouldn't keep you from being fired.

As for the question, I don't think there's anything you can do. People will always attempt to steal games. Unless the games are made free (or nearly so) and easily accessable (which some games are) then they will be pirated.

That's okay.  It's not like they actually wanted my input, they just wanted me to pad their ego.  I don't pad.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Scotty

Quote from: Chaos on March 18, 2010, 03:28:05 PM
I don't pad.

It's OK, he fluffs.

I realized a fundamental flaw in my theory...

Everyone WOULD pirate solely to avoid the video stream...  Hmmm...  Maybe I should put a hidden camera in my shower, the chicks would LOVE my game and I'd be reach as shit!

NotoriousM4^

Quote from: Scotty on March 18, 2010, 04:42:11 PM
Quote from: Chaos on March 18, 2010, 03:28:05 PM
I don't pad.

It's OK, he fluffs.

I realized a fundamental flaw in my theory...

Everyone WOULD pirate solely to avoid the video stream...  Hmmm...  Maybe I should put a hidden camera in my shower, the chicks would LOVE my game and I'd be reach as shit!
And what would you name this game Scotty?

Pat

If I had A LOT of money, I would set up thousands of very powerful servers on a very fast network where games you buy are on the servers and you are streamed the gameplay as you play.
Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.

Chaos

Quote from: Pat on March 19, 2010, 01:07:14 AM
If I had A LOT of money, I would set up thousands of very powerful servers on a very fast network where games you buy are on the servers and you are streamed the gameplay as you play.

Uh...that's pretty much exactly what OnLive is.

Incidentally, that doesn't do diddly to stop pirating, because in that regard, you don't even own the game you purchased.  I would be absolutely opposed to such a system replacing the purchasing of video games, and I've stated as much in the OnLive topic.

Simple.  Fact.

You can not stop pirating.
Jake says:

Jake

Quote from: Chaos on March 19, 2010, 02:54:33 AM
Quote from: Pat on March 19, 2010, 01:07:14 AM

Uh...that's pretty much exactly what OnLive is.

Incidentally, that doesn't do diddly to stop pirating, because in that regard, you don't even own the game you purchased.  I would be absolutely opposed to such a system replacing the purchasing of video games, and I've stated as much in the OnLive topic.

Simple.  Fact.

You can not stop pirating.
Just because you're opposed to the system, doesn't mean it might not replace the distribution of video games. I think it's possible if piracy persists.

Lingus

It could potentially stop pirating... but in addition to the "OnLive" method, you would also have to make sure there were no leaks. Basically, by streaming the game, the consumer has no access to the actual game files, so hackers would have nothing to crack, copy, or pirate. The only thing that would ruin that is if someone who has access to the game files leaked them. And from what I understand that is currently how a lot of piracy starts. But now we're talking about game companies getting really really strict about security and that kind of thing.

Scotty

Quote from: Lingus on March 19, 2010, 12:39:07 PM
It could potentially stop pirating... but in addition to the "OnLive" method, you would also have to make sure there were no leaks. Basically, by streaming the game, the consumer has no access to the actual game files, so hackers would have nothing to crack, copy, or pirate. The only thing that would ruin that is if someone who has access to the game files leaked them. And from what I understand that is currently how a lot of piracy starts. But now we're talking about game companies getting really really strict about security and that kind of thing.

I would laugh rather hard if the sub-24 hour crack of ubisoft's DRM was actually an ubisoft developer who thought his boss was a complete idiot for thinking that the DRM was a good idea.  I would figure out what kind of scotch that man drinks, buy him a case of it, and hire a schoolgirl to run through the sprinklers on her way to the house and give him his well deserved "thank you!"

ARTgames

Well this is all i can think of. This is a stupid idea but ill go for it.

A game dev makes a demo of a game. If people show a lot of interest in the game they have a system in which you pay them how much they think (the game dev people) its worth like $40-60 for example. If a lot of people pay and they reach how much they want to make on the game like 500 mill or something they release the game online for free to any one and they still make a small amount of special physical additions for the hard core fans. If they don't get the game developed or get the money to there mark in a time limit like 6 months to a year then the user gets there money back.

All they would need to do is keep the game from leaking from there company. Maybe some one could also take what i said and make a better idea. Thats why i posed it.

Scotty

I've got the perfect solution.

Develop nothing but MMO's.  Sure, you have problems, but think to yer'self about how many modern commercial MMO's have been pirated...

ARTgames

Quote from: Scotty on March 19, 2010, 05:10:54 PM
I've got the perfect solution.

Develop nothing but MMO's.  Sure, you have problems, but think to yer'self about how many modern commercial MMO's have been pirated...

Privet servers.