News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

game piracy

Started by ARTgames, March 17, 2010, 09:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

Quote from: ARTgames on March 19, 2010, 05:20:49 PM
Quote from: Scotty on March 19, 2010, 05:10:54 PM
I've got the perfect solution.

Develop nothing but MMO's.  Sure, you have problems, but think to yer'self about how many modern commercial MMO's have been pirated...

Privet servers.

Stability/User base/Company doesn't lose monthly subscription profits vs. expenses of hosting private server users (although that could be related to any pirating argument).  I GUARANTEE that the pirate base for private servers is extremely less than that of non MMO's.

EDIT: AND I also GUARANTEE that it is MUCH easier to go after private servers as a piracy combatant than it is to go after individual users, yet have the same effect as far as stopping piracy.

ARTgames

Its true that ps do suck but if every game was an online mmo then people would probably try a lot harder.

Scotty

The thing is, with MMOs, piracy is a whole different battle.  Pirating MMOs is a LOT different than pirating AC2.  I'm going to throw a number out there, not sure if it is accurate or not, but it proves the point:  Of Blizzard's overall revenue from WoW, I would venture to guess that 90% of their income is NOT from people buying the game.  only 10% is, but the 90% is from monthly pay-to-play subscriptions.  Think about it, I know friends who have MULTIPLE accounts, so that they can log in with one, wife logs in with the other, or they use one as a work horse, etc...  If someone steals the client from them, big whoop!  Who cares?  They're still making plenty off of monthly subscriptions.  If there's ever a server out there that someone decided to set up, and it got REAL popular amongst people, how hard to think it would be for them to go and have it shut down?  Pirating MMOs hardly scratches some of these companies wallets.

Jake

Quote from: Scotty on March 19, 2010, 07:45:37 PM
The thing is, with MMOs, piracy is a whole different battle.  Pirating MMOs is a LOT different than pirating AC2.  I'm going to throw a number out there, not sure if it is accurate or not, but it proves the point:  Of Blizzard's overall revenue from WoW, I would venture to guess that 90% of their income is NOT from people buying the game.  only 10% is, but the 90% is from monthly pay-to-play subscriptions.  Think about it, I know friends who have MULTIPLE accounts, so that they can log in with one, wife logs in with the other, or they use one as a work horse, etc...  If someone steals the client from them, big whoop!  Who cares?  They're still making plenty off of monthly subscriptions.  If there's ever a server out there that someone decided to set up, and it got REAL popular amongst people, how hard to think it would be for them to go and have it shut down?  Pirating MMOs hardly scratches some of these companies wallets.
Yep, gotta agree with you here. MMO's rake in teh cash. WoW was like the number one bought PC software of 2008 or something crazy like that.

Lingus

If all games were MMO's I would stop playing games. I don't play them anymore at all.

ARTgames

Quote from: Scotty on March 19, 2010, 07:45:37 PM

but but... you need to interact with other people on mmos.. :(

Chaos

Not to mention having to PAY to play the game... :/
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Scotty

Quote from: Chaos on March 19, 2010, 11:28:36 PM

Good!  It'll cut down on the mass number of grenade-lobbing jump monkey's screaming adolescent, and antagonistic accusations upon the greater community of maturity.  Pay-to-play I say!

EDIT: Wow... Did I just make say all that?  Beer is great!

JoEL

Well it works and that's all it matters to them. :)

ARTgames

Quote from: Scotty on March 19, 2010, 11:31:43 PM

Good!  It'll cut down on the mass number of grenade-lobbing jump monkey's screaming adolescent, and antagonistic accusations upon the greater community of maturity.  Pay-to-play I say!

Yeah! Yay! Because there are no immature people with money! Wait a second there...

NotoriousM4^

Good!  It'll cut down on the mass number of grenade-lobbing jump monkey's screaming adolescent, and antagonistic accusations upon the greater community of maturity.  Pay-to-play I say!

EDIT: Wow... Did I just make say all that?  Beer is great!
Too bad most of those grenade-lobbing jump monkey's provide a large portion of most of those companies profit; they come ever too eager to get there grubby little hands over mommy and daddy's purse or wallet.

Now if your looking for maturity you might as well have people enter there S.S.N. at the login. ;)

ARTgames

Quote from: NotoriousM4^ on March 19, 2010, 11:38:20 PM

Good!  It'll cut down on the mass number of grenade-lobbing jump monkey's screaming adolescent, and antagonistic accusations upon the greater community of maturity.  Pay-to-play I say!

Too bad most of those grenade-lobbing jump monkey's provide a large portion of most of those companies profit; they come ever too eager to get there grubby little hands over mommy and daddy's purse or wallet.

Now if your looking for maturity you might as well have people enter there S.S.N. at the login. ;)

yes because there are no people with social security numbers that are not immature dushbag in this world.

NotoriousM4^

Quote from: ARTgames on March 19, 2010, 11:42:26 PM
Quote from: NotoriousM4^ on March 19, 2010, 11:38:20 PM

yes because there are no people with social security numbers that are not immature dushbag in this world.
No, there aren't.

Scotty

Quote from: NotoriousM4^ on March 19, 2010, 11:47:39 PM
No, there aren't.

Wait... you don't have a SSN?  How's that possible?

NotoriousM4^