News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

ModNation Racers

Started by LeGuy, March 29, 2010, 07:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeGuy

Anybody else with a PS3 getting excited about this game?

http://www.modnation.com/

It's essentially a take on the classic Mario Kart concept merged with the LittleBigPlanet philosophy of "Play, Create, Share". You can create your own tracks, endlessly customize your character and carts, and publish your creations online for the world to enjoy. Naturally the entire thing is going to have online multiplayer, which looks pretty impressive. The entire gameplay looks pretty solid, borrowing the multi-level item-stacking power-up concept from an old N64 favorite, Diddy Kong Racers, and throws in some modern twists like drifting, mid-air tricks, and the like.

It apparently comes out May 25th, so I'm looking forward to it.
Whee!

Scotty

First time I've heard/seen of it.

I'm definitely getting it.

Meiun

Woah! Looks super sweet. I will definitely be getting that as well.

Torch

LeGuy

We'll have to exchange PSN names and have a really, really epic Stick Online race when it comes out - maybe even create a Stick Online track. Muhahaha!
Whee!

Looperpuck

Lul, looks good. I'd get it, but it looks ALOT like super mario kart for the wii. It's even the same kind of drifting, you gotta jump and turn in the air. And in this game, exactly like mario kart, When you drift enough, you get a small boost. Anyone else ever notice?

~Looperpuck
Resurrected

Meiun

Uhhh, except for the HUGELY important fact that it appears to have an insanely good level/content creation system, and that you can share your tracks online.

stick d00d

I've never heard of this and I have a ps3 :o, but yeah I'll definitely get it sometime.. Need to get God of War 3 and FF13 first ;)

LeGuy

Bump.

The ModNation Racers demo just released on the PSN. It's a pretty lengthy download, but it's well worth it.

I'm really impressed with it all, but so far my favorite aspect of the game by far is just the racing - while the demo features only one track, the gameplay seems really solid and the weapons are a blast to use, especially with the tiered system. The boost meter concept is a great addition to the kart racer genre, and is a great motivation to do those crazy tricks like drifting, drafting, and mid-air 720's. The ability to build up the amount of boost you have and dispense it whenever you feel like it is really fun, and the shield, though it's a bit of a boost-hog and somewhat difficult to time right, is a fantastic strategic way to take a little bit of the injustice of the chance-based weapon-filled classic kart racing formula. The controls feel great, though if perhaps a later update added custom controls I'd definitely be inclined to try out a couple different control schemes.

Editors are great too, really fun to use. Of course, it's disappointing that so little of the content is there, but it gives you the general idea of the power you have when you're using all of the tools. I can't wait for the full version.

Just 6 days away. I've got it pre-ordered... Anybody else?

In case you didn't know, depending on where you preorder the game you get a special character unique to the franchise - for instance, I preordered it at Gamestop, so I get Kratos, whereas at Best Buy you'd get Nathan Drake. ALL preorders get Sackboy as a playable character, in addition to their special franchise-limited characters.
Whee!